The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3860
Original post by ameelia22
LOL IMO not worth it. At all.

The occasional night shift, sure why not? 3 in a row every other week for 8 weeks? How about hell. no.

Well at the very least it's great exp. especially with you as an upcoming FY1, on-call and all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PG593
Well at the very least it's great exp. especially with you as an upcoming FY1, on-call and all.

I was speaking to an FY2 about becoming a doctor and all that jazz and ended up having a lovely long chat about it since she had the time to talk actually - but you know, i'll be doing something I love as a fy1 but currently waiting for Bed 27 to get off the bed pan whilst watching paint dry is less encouraging :tongue:
Reply 3862
The key is not to watch paint dry, but to watch TV/film instead!! Eat Percy pigs and that lovely piece of cake someone brought in for the night staff. I'm going to join the bank and work Friday/Saturday nights when I get to uni...

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you guys all feel about having to take a gap year initially? Honestly.
Reply 3864
Original post by letsbehonest

Rubbish, because as it's as a reapplicant, you can't spend the whole year travelling or anything like that because you have to be available til March time. And then there's the stress of getting a job, volunteering, all your friends going off, doubting yourself, working hard to get a high UKCat (at least for me that was the deal breaker getting interviews!) BUT now I'm fine. In the swing of things and although I was really low for the first two months, as cringey as it sounds, I think it's made me grow as a person, and I have learnt a lot and met some interesting people! I'm a HCA at a care home btw, on £6.50/hour 48 hours/week for both days and nights. So yeah, not the most glamorous of jobs :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3865

1st min. Aww ****. 2nd min yayy. Recommendation: plan it in advance and make sure all your friends will take one with you, then it's great fun because you all have money for the first time ever!! I was lucky, loads of my friends were taking one, so I just latched on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
The key is not to watch paint dry, but to watch TV/film instead!! Eat Percy pigs and that lovely piece of cake someone brought in for the night staff. I'm going to join the bank and work Friday/Saturday nights when I get to uni...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the band 7 clinical nurses find me watching a film - I am screwed. Isn't it just the most exhausting thing ever trying to stay awake though?

Like ****. But it all came down to my UKCAT and securing a job early. I vastly improved my score and so felt much better about making a better application and it being worth it and having a job that distracted from the soreness of everyone else leaving.
Reply 3867
Original post by ameelia22
If the band 7 clinical nurses find me watching a film - I am screwed. Isn't it just the most exhausting thing ever trying to stay awake though?

Like ****. But it all came down to my UKCAT and securing a job early. I vastly improved my score and so felt much better about making a better application and it being worth it and having a job that distracted from the soreness of everyone else leaving.

Sorry if you dont mind me asking....what did you achieve first & second time around on your UKCAT score

Also do you know of any resit applicants getting in this year?
have any reapplicants got 'normal' jobs like not healthcare related for their gap year?
Reply 3869
Original post by Philippamalko
have any reapplicants got 'normal' jobs like not healthcare related for their gap year?

Yes, I work at an architect firm and it is refreshing to do something not related to healthcare on the side but it would be nice to get an NHS job in healthcare, would definitely excite me more :smile:
Yeah I work at Schuh haha
Original post by Scottasaurus
Yeah I work at Schuh haha

Original post by PG593
Yes, I work at an architect firm and it is refreshing to do something not related to healthcare on the side but it would be nice to get an NHS job in healthcare, would definitely excite me more :smile:

I went full time in what was my weekend job at a garden centre when I finished school then worked for Royal Mail over christmas and now work for Direct Line Group haha. Everyone seems to be healthcare assistants or something and I wondered if I was the only one, but for £9+ an hour at my job now I think I'd rather be doing that than HCA for a lot less :')
Reply 3872

Yeah! I work at a hotel restraunt, café-bar, science technician at an SEN school (mainly involves laminating and watering plants...), and care for 2 autistic kids...as much as a full time job sounds good moneywise i'm enjoying the freedom of "casual" 0-hour contracts and not having to take holiday etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3873
I went full time in what was my weekend job at a garden centre when I finished school then worked for Royal Mail over christmas and now work for Direct Line Group haha. Everyone seems to be healthcare assistants or something and I wondered if I was the only one, but for £9+ an hour at my job now I think I'd rather be doing that than HCA for a lot less :')

'A lot less'... You should check my wage packet :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
'A lot less'... You should check my wage packet :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you must live in an area with better waged HCAs than mine haha sorry I was just meaning for myself

A friend of mine works at specsavers. Another decided to work as a teaching assistant. :smile: It doesn't really matter if you decide to work at A and E or Mcdonalds, it's the reflection upon you experience that counts!
Reply 3876

I do :smile: it's my 3rd ucas last year I did full time at kfc and part time behind a bar, this year I'm a lab technician in food microbiology and still behind the bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3877
Original post by frogs r everywhere
A friend of mine works at specsavers. Another decided to work as a teaching assistant. :smile: It doesn't really matter if you decide to work at A and E or Mcdonalds, it's the reflection upon you experience that counts!

'Whilst working at McDo I served a huge variety of clientele, all coming from different backgrounds and many of whom were less financially secure than myself. This helped me to appreciate the role preventative medicine plays in our community; education in healthy eating is vital to minimise the sizeable(lol) impact weight related medical conditions has on our hospitals and health care budget. I was able to improve my formal communication skills with service users as well as adapt to get to know my co workers well in the workplace.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hugby1
'Whilst working at McDo I served a huge variety of clientele, all coming from different backgrounds and many of whom were less financially secure than myself. This helped me to appreciate the role preventative medicine plays in our community; education in healthy eating is vital to minimise the sizeable(lol) impact obesity has on our hospitals and health care budget. I was able to improve my formal communication skills with service users as well as adapt to get to know my co workers well in the workplace.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sophisticated bs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
'Whilst working at McDo I served a huge variety of clientele, all coming from different backgrounds and many of whom were less financially secure than myself. This helped me to appreciate the role preventative medicine plays in our community; education in healthy eating is vital to minimise the sizeable(lol) impact weight related medical conditions has on our hospitals and health care budget. I was able to improve my formal communication skills with service users as well as adapt to get to know my co workers well in the workplace.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goodness! :lol: I can only imagine the face of admissions if they were to read this.

Quick Reply

Latest