The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
CHEESE AND MARMITE PORRIDGE

I wasn't convinced when I heard about this but I made it today and I am a convert!!!!!!!!!

https://wearesavoury.wordpress.com/
Our oven is broken and we haven't done a weekly shop yet this week, so I've just had to throw together something I can cook on a stovetop. Came up with a really simple flatbread and had it with sauteed chorizo and onions and a fried egg. Easy to make and a very tasty alternative to a traditional breakfast, and very good for hangovers :ahee:

Flatbread:
60g flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
25ml lukewarm water
20(ish)ml olive oil
Any flavourings you want to add (I kept mine simple)

Onions and chorizo:
50g chorizo (not the thin sliced stuff, either use a chunk of whole chorizo or get it ready-diced)
1 small onion or half a large onion
Splash of olive oil

Fried egg:
1 medium sized egg
Fat of choice
Pinch of rock/sea salt and pepper

(Ingredients are per portion)

1. Start with the flatbread. In a bowl add the flour and salt, then add the oil and water. Bring together loosely in a bowl, then once combined transfer to a clean surface to knead. My kneading technique is about as basic as it gets, literally just stretching the dough out before folding back on itself, rotating the dough, and repeating from the new angle. Knead the dough until it stops being crumbly and becomes more elastic, roughly 5-8 minutes. Form it into a ball and place back into the bowl to rest for about 15 minutes under a tea towl- there's obviously not going to be any rising or proving in a dough with no raising agent, it just gives the gluten some time to relax :yep:

2. While resting, move on to the chorizo and onion. If you're using a piece of whole chorizo remove the casing and dice into 1cm-ish chunks, and dice the onion too. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan and give the chorizo a 1 minute head start at a medium heat until it's started releasing its own oil. At this point throw in the onions, stir to coat in the flavoured oils, and cook on a medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent, roughly 10 minutes. Taste at this point and add salt as necessary, chorizo can be salty but depending on the quantity of onions and the amount of oil the chorizo has released you may find they need a bit of extra seasoning. Once cooked to your liking transfer from the pan to a bowl to await serving.

3. If you aren't already aware of how to fry an egg, I find the easiest way to do it is sunny side up. I also like to pre-crack my egg into a ramekin or small glass, so it distributes a bit nicer than cracking it straight into the pan, but that's just me. On a medium-low heat, add your fat of choice (normally I'd use a neutral oil like sunflower or vegetable, but I'm out of both so just used a bit of butter) to a non-stick pan and once it's heated up, add the egg. Leave for 4-5 minutes until the white has fully solidified, but when the white is almost done I sprinkle the top of the egg with sea salt flakes and freshly cracked black pepper.

4. When the egg is nearly done, start on cooking the flatbread. First, preheat a pan to a medium-high heat. Transfer the dough from the bowl back onto the surface and roll/stretch/generally flatten it until it's a few mm thick. Without oil, add the flatbread to the pan, and leave to cook for about two minutes. After that, check to see that the bread has fully crisped up- a little bit of charring is great too. Once done to your liking flip the bread over and cook for another couple of minutes.

To serve, transfer the bread to a plate, place the egg on top of the bread, and scatter the chorizo and onions around the yolk. I personally topped it with a final splash of tabasco sauce for piquancy, but it's also great without.

Definitely worth giving a go :yep:
Beef mince pasta bake

Serves 2

Oil, to fry
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g mince
1 beef stock cube
1 tin of condensed tomato soup
1 teaspoon dried basil
1.5 mugs pasta

Preheat oven to 200°C (fan oven), 220°C or gas mark 7

Fry the onion and garlic until soft.

Add the mince, and fry it until no longer pink.

Add the condensed tomato soup, stock cube and dried basil. Mix together well. Take off the heat.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water according to packet instructions.

Drain the cooked pasta and add to the meat mixture. Mix well.

Transfer it to a casserole dish, and cook for around 25 minutes. The top should be browned a bit.

Notes:
This recipe is from the book "Nosh for Students". The "mug" measurements are using a half pint mug.

To make it serve 1, simply use half the amount of mince and cook half the amount of pasta. Keep all other ingredients the same - this doesn't change the taste, and you get a decent portion for 1 person.

You can add grated cheese if you want to. Once everything is in the casserole dish, sprinkle some cheese on the top before putting it in the oven.
Leek and Potato Soup

Serves 3
Takes about 1 hour to make

- 1 large leek
- 4 medium potatoes
- 850ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- Salt and pepper

1. Wash the leek, then chop it into small pieces. Peel the potatoes and chop them into small pieces.
2. Dissolve the stock cube in 850ml boiling water.
3. Put the chopped leek and potatoes into a large pan and pour in the stock.
4. Heat until the stock is boiling, then turn down the heat and simmer the soup for 30 minutes (or until the potatoes have become soft).
5. Add some salt and pepper to season, then serve.
THE BEST POTATO WEDGES.

Disclaimer: these are very hot.

Ingredients:

- 1 potato (one person/portion) (£1 for a bag)
- Olive oil/sunflower oil/ vegetable oil (£1 for a bottle)
- Mixed herbs (90p - Sainsbury's)
- 2 garlic cloves (20p)
- Chilli powder
- Salt

Method:

1. Cut potato into wedges with a sharp knife.
2. Place wedges in a bowl and pour enough olive oil so that all the wedges are covered, and there is a about 20ml of oil in the bowl still.
3. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
4. In a plate, mix together mixed herbs, salt and chilli powder (this should be enough to cover your potatoes lightly, NOT COMPLETELY).
5. With a pestle and grinder, crush the garlic. Alternatively, cut the garlic in to tiny pieces.
6. Mix the mixed herbs mixture with the garlic.
7. Toss the above mixture in to the bowl with the potatoes.
8. Bake on a foiled baking tray for 20 minutes.
9. Turn, and bake for a further 20 minutes.
Vegetable katsu

I make katsu curry (a Japanese dish) sometimes at uni because it's quite cheap, and it's yummy! This is my recipe for it. I cooked it for my meat eating mum this evening, and she said it was "beautiful". If you're a meat eater (which I'm not) you could also switch up the veggies for chicken. Try it- you won't be disappointed! Serve with a portion of white Basmati rice.

Curry sauce

1 large onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 or 3 medium carrots, chopped
600ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
1 tbsp squeezy clear honey
1-2 tsp garam masala

1) On a medium heat in a large pan, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft (about 2 minutes), then add the carrot and gently fry until soft (another 10 minutes), stirring regularly to avoid browning. Add the flour and curry powder, and stir to coat.
2) Gradually add the stock, stirring well after each addition. Add the honey, ginger powder and soy sauce. Stir well.
3) Bring to the boil for 2 minutes, then bring down to a gentle simmer for 25 minutes (don't worry if a "skin" appears to form- this is quite normal and goes away with a little stir!). Add more water if necessary.
4) Add the garam masala, stir through, then sieve the sauce (this sauce works better if silky smooth!). Return to the pan, and keep on a low heat until needed (again, add water if it's necessary, but this sauce should be silky and of a medium thickness so if you need to add more water, do so gradually).

Vegetables- prep these while your sauce is simmering

100g dry breadcrumbs, laid out on a large plate
2tbsp plain flour
Enough water to form a paste (have this ready in a bowl)
Mixture of vegetables- I like to use 1/2 aubergine and 1/2 a sweet potato (both of which would be cut into disks about 1/2 cm thick, with skins on). Sometimes I use butternut squash, too. Tofu also works- just press it until it's very firm or it'll go mushy and horrible!

1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Dip and coat your vegetable slices into the paste, and then roll around in the breadcrumbs to coat.
2) In a large saucepan with about 2tbsp vegetable oil, lightly fry the coated vegetables (in batches, adding more oil as required as you go along) for 2-3 minutes each side, before laying on a baking tray lined with tinfoil.
3) When all vegetables have been shallow-fried and added to the tray, bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, turning them over halfway through. Your vegetables should be soft, but not mushy. To serve up, pour the curry sauce over the top with a generous portion of Basmati rice!

Enjoy! :biggrin:
Original post by tanzilla.azad
THE BEST POTATO WEDGES.

Thanks for this, repped. I'll try this, I usually do them when I make fried chicken. The last time I used paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper as the seasoning and normal vegetable oil. They were good and everybody liked them but I felt they could have been better.

As a side note I got some smoked paprika recently and **** me it's good :cool:

**** it seeing as I'm bored I'll post my fried chicken recipe.

Seasoning:

Plain white flour
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper
Salt
Paprika
Dried oregano

(I'm not going to put the amounts of each cos it will take you a few goes until you find a mix you're happy with but flour should make up the most of the seasoning mix)

Method:

Get whatever chicken you're using (I use wings or thighs, if it's wings chop them up properly don't cook them whole) and put in a bowl of either buttermilk or milk with two tablespoons of lemon juice added. Leave to soak overnight in the fridge (12+ hours at least).

Take out next day and coat them in the seasoning very well. Sprinkle a decent amount of this seasoning on a baking tray so that when you put the chicken on, it doesn't stick/there is seasoning on the bottom of the chicken. Place the chicken on the tray and use whatever seasoning you have left to sprinkle on top of the chicken, it doesn't matter if this doesn't stick just do it it's better than throwing it away. Cover this and put back in fridge for a while, I usually leave it for about six hours. You do this so that the seasoning becomes like a paste on the chicken, it helps it to stick. Take out the fridge for about 30 mins before frying as when you fry it will take a lot of heat out of the pan if the chicken is cold.

To fry - heat some oil in a pan (a lot of oil) on a medium heat and then place the chicken in gently in the same direction around the pan (so you know which pieces went in first). The difficult bit is getting it cooked right so that it's cooked in the middle but the seasoning isn't burnt so keep an eye on it. 15 minutes should do it.

Then serve when they're done obv.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Thanks for this, repped. I'll try this, I usually do them when I make fried chicken. The last time I used paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper as the seasoning and normal vegetable oil. They were good and everybody liked them but I felt they could have been better.

As a side note I got some smoked paprika recently and **** me it's good :cool:

**** it seeing as I'm bored I'll post my fried chicken recipe.

Seasoning:

Plain white flour
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper
Salt
Paprika
Dried oregano

(I'm not going to put the amounts of each cos it will take you a few goes until you find a mix you're happy with but flour should make up the most of the seasoning mix)

Method:

Get whatever chicken you're using (I use wings or thighs, if it's wings chop them up properly don't cook them whole) and put in a bowl of either buttermilk or milk with two tablespoons of lemon juice added. Leave to soak overnight in the fridge (12+ hours at least).

Take out next day and coat them in the seasoning very well. Sprinkle a decent amount of this seasoning on a baking tray so that when you put the chicken on, it doesn't stick/there is seasoning on the bottom of the chicken. Place the chicken on the tray and use whatever seasoning you have left to sprinkle on top of the chicken, it doesn't matter if this doesn't stick just do it it's better than throwing it away. Cover this and put back in fridge for a while, I usually leave it for about six hours. You do this so that the seasoning becomes like a paste on the chicken, it helps it to stick. Take out the fridge for about 30 mins before frying as when you fry it will take a lot of heat out of the pan if the chicken is cold.

To fry - heat some oil in a pan (a lot of oil) on a medium heat and then place the chicken in gently in the same direction around the pan (so you know which pieces went in first). The difficult bit is getting it cooked right so that it's cooked in the middle but the seasoning isn't burnt so keep an eye on it. 15 minutes should do it.

Then serve when they're done obv.

Mmm, I LOVE fried chicken - I've never thought of adding paprika to mine when I've done it before though.. will definitely give it a try!
Hi Guys,

Just launched a new page on Facebook sharing the best recipes for students ever!!

Cheap, Tasty, Easy.

Give EasyChef a like on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/EasyChef-227634187610390/

Thanks
My Nutella cake recipe:
1 3/4 cups of plain flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of Nutella
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of unsweetened coffee
1 cup of butter milk
2 tablespoons of condensed milk

Directions:
1) Turn the oven on at 190 degrees celcius
2) Butter and flour 2 9-inch (round) baking trays
3) Add the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda to the same bowl, then mix them until they have been completely combined.
4) Add the sugar, oil and egg yolks to a separate bowl. Mix at medium speed until creamy, then whisk the egg whites in another bowl. Once frothy and bubbly, add to the sugary mix and whisk some more at medium speed. You should see bubbles in your mixture.
5) Slowly add the coffee, the vanilla extract and the buttermilk in while continuing to mix at medium speed.
6) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then set the speed of the mixer to low. Add 1/2 a cup of the Nutella in and let it whisk for another 5 minutes to ensure that the ingredients have been fully combined.
7) Pour the mixture evenly into the baking trays and allow it to bake for 30 minutes. Poke the cakes with a knife to see if the come out clean.
8) Allow them to cool, then heat the other 1/2 cup of Nutella in a small pot and add the condensed milk. Allow the ingredients to thin and to combine.
9) To assemble: poke holes into one of the cakes using a forks. Poke as many as you see fit, then pour the hot, Nutella mixture on top and allow some of it to seep through (some of it will stay on the top) Place the second cake over the first, then frost with my Nutella Buttercream icing (I will post the recipe in my next post in a bit).
16178942_10154951300458055_5785810683062759894_o.jpg
Loving some of these recipes! If anyone likes Mexican food there are some great free recipes on mexgrocer.co.uk

I love nachos so this one is a favourite: http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Spicy-Black-Bean-Nachos/ :biggrin:
www.studentsnacks.co.uk/recipes has a real yummy and cheap falafel recipe! great for students
Thank you... Strawberry is my favorite and like all desserts which are made by strawberry. It's really yummy cake recipe thanks again...
(edited 5 years ago)
After seeing your orange fish recipe, I have cooked it which is really yummy and tasty.
Okay real talk: How was this thread made in 2004 if the account that posted it was only made in 2006!?

Also, spaghetti carbonara:
1. Beat eggs, one egg per person + 1 yolk. Add pepper and grated parmesan
2. Start boiling the spaghetti. 5g of salt per litre of water.
3. Fry the pork - guanciale is better than pancetta which is better than bacon for this. Cut it in big chunks - they do shrink as you fry them.
4. Once the pork and pasta are done, add the spaghetti to the pan with the pork.
5. Turn off the heat in the pan, then add the egg. It can't be too hot or else it'll scramble rather than coating the eggs
6. Finish with more pepper and parmesan
I have to include this as well.
great stuff. thanks for sharing
Thank you for sharing this recipes. It is very helpful for unknown persons. I make many dishes from this lists.
Original post by Sinnoh
Okay real talk: How was this thread made in 2004 if the account that posted it was only made in 2006!?

Also, spaghetti carbonara:
1. Beat eggs, one egg per person + 1 yolk. Add pepper and grated parmesan
2. Start boiling the spaghetti. 5g of salt per litre of water.
3. Fry the pork - guanciale is better than pancetta which is better than bacon for this. Cut it in big chunks - they do shrink as you fry them.
4. Once the pork and pasta are done, add the spaghetti to the pan with the pork.
5. Turn off the heat in the pan, then add the egg. It can't be too hot or else it'll scramble rather than coating the eggs
6. Finish with more pepper and parmesan

needs quantities!!! also 5g/L seems like a lot of salt
Original post by quasa
needs quantities!!! also 5g/L seems like a lot of salt

Exact quantities aren't that important when you're not baking though, it's never been a hindrance to me. Usually 80-100g of spaghetti is recommended per person on the wrapper. Don't know about the pork.

It's a lot of salt but I'm just going off what the old italian guy in the video said. Others have said "as salty as the sea". Which is probably the same.

Quick Reply

Latest