The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Uni chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Depends on your course. Languages do because they're evil and like to keep lectures going til the bitter end, some courses have finished with lectures already.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 7301
Original post by Like_A_G6
Do we have lectures on Monday?

Assume you don't unless you've been told you do.
I never have any lectures on a Monday anyway. :h: :colonhash:
YAY! Extra day for revision! (I can't believe I just wrote that :/ )

I've procrastinated so much this semester I've fallen so far behind!
I will be frantically finishing up my last piece of coursework on Monday for a tuesday hand in. Huzzah.
Original post by hamijack
First year you get a bus pass with your student ID so you won't have to pay for buses. Beyond that I don't know if you can get any help.

only unilink buses. Not the bus to Winchester.
Reply 7306
I'm seriously contemplating handing in my software engineering coursework as it is, half done. Do we have to do it again if we fail? It's just I've had enough of drawing stupid stick men in stupid programs...
Original post by Deutsch_Beth
Depends on your course. Languages do because they're evil and like to keep lectures going til the bitter end, some courses have finished with lectures already.

I don't...?
Reply 7308
I guess she's forgotton it's a bank holiday. I have another 2 weeks of lectures but none on Monday... I'm pretty sure the university will be locked up if you go...
I don't have any more lectures left anymore... tis strange.
Original post by jonnythemoose
I don't...?

EDIT: Forgot about bank holiday, ignorez moi.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Like_A_G6
Do we have lectures on Monday?

I don't.

Anyone know if the gym is closed tomorrow?
Original post by chrislpp
I don't.

Anyone know if the gym is closed tomorrow?

Shouldn't be, though it might be reduced hours.

There's Intra-Mural sport on tomorrow so facilities should all be open.
Reply 7313
Hey :smile:
I've just firmed Southampton and i was wondering if there was any useful info you would give to Soton freshers, and any advice on accommodation?
Thanks
Original post by Tom_L
Hey :smile:
I've just firmed Southampton and i was wondering if there was any useful info you would give to Soton freshers, and any advice on accommodation?
Thanks

Don't bother paying for ensuite accommodation, it's not worth the extra money. Otherwise, don't be afraid to go to societies even if you think you won't fit in/you're not good/you've never done it before... apart from that, work enough that you don't fail first year but otherwise enjoy yourself. Also, bring along some ****ty, watertight shoes that you don't mind ruining that you can wear to jesters - you'll understand when you get there!
Original post by marcusmerehay
Shouldn't be, though it might be reduced hours.

There's Intra-Mural sport on tomorrow so facilities should all be open.

Well I'll use it as an excuse to get out of bed anyway thx
Original post by hothedgehog
Don't bother paying for ensuite accommodation, it's not worth the extra money. Otherwise, don't be afraid to go to societies even if you think you won't fit in/you're not good/you've never done it before... apart from that, work enough that you don't fail first year but otherwise enjoy yourself. Also, bring along some ****ty, watertight shoes that you don't mind ruining that you can wear to jesters - you'll understand when you get there!

If you're a social person you will do well in corridor accomodation with 20 per corridor even though they aren't as ''nice'' I haven't seen them personally but I imagine the rooms are all refurbed and all seem to be made with the same desks and what not, it's far more social, MONTE 2-4 is far too big for its own good and even though there are 2500 students, its divided in flats of 7, so it can be harder to stay friendly with plenty of people on a regular basis if you don't see them everyday when term time kicks in. That said if you aren't the most social person it won't make a difference. Monte is also full of internationals, and while theres nothing wrong with that, many lock themselves away in their rooms and are never seen again, I didn't see one international until after freshers at all, met a couple though who have lots of internationals in their flats and its a lonely way to live.

But you could be lucky so if you are set on Monte 2-4 go for it. I can't complain with my flat at all.

Sign up for about everything and go to the taster sessions and socials.....weed it down to 1 sport and 2 societies roughly, when term kicks in you won't have enough time for everything you signed up to, but someone with 4 hours of lectures a week can do more than an engineer with 20.

If you don't like the people in say a society or club leave immediately, don't pay for membership until you are certain, I don't care if you played that sport since you were 2 and are international quality, not worth it at all.

If you are going to jesters abandon all faith ye who enter.

Buy the stuff that will sell out (people will tell you around here) from the box office before freshers, anything else you can pick up if you know people going.
Well tbf things sell out quickly then on the first day of freshers people start using the accommodation facebook page to sell tickets at cost price or lower and you won't have to pay the £2 booking fee.

Hopefully the library will be open tomorrow. Need to print off computing coursework...anyone know off the top of their head how much it costs to print off colour and black and white?
25p a side for colour and 5p a side for b&w.
Hmm, I think i'll save myself a fiver and just print b&w. Thanks.

Quick Reply