The Student Room Group

Maths exam IGCSE - HIGHER TIER - PAPER 3H AND PAPER 4H POST DISCUSSION.

Scroll to see replies

Talking to people who sat it last year, apparently the actual exam is usually easier than most mocks you sit; so don't worry!

TBH the A*s I think are usually won on the 4+ mark challenge questions at the end.
Reply 41
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Does that mean you take PM paper at 10.30 AM
Or is it an AM paper?

Tomorrow maths paper 3H is an afternoon exam, so you can't discuss it until next day after 4:30 AM according to student room rules. Timings of my exam are yet the normal ones.
Reply 42
Original post by fajita.and.friends
I found the jan 2012 ones ok, actually - i think the 2011 ones were harder... What last minute revision is everyone doing?

Just going through summary notes. You can't do much in the last minutes so just sit back and wait for the exam.
Arr, so nervous :frown:
Reply 44
I'm doing it :smile:

Original post by rapdog
What's the likelihood of function graphs being on it?

Function graphs?! What are they?! :eek:
Original post by gabriel 41
Tomorrow maths paper 3H is an afternoon exam, so you can't discuss it until next day after 4:30 AM according to student room rules. Timings of my exam are yet the normal ones.

What time is that 4 30 AM . You mean we cant discuss it until 6 hours have passed? OR 1 whole day?
Reply 46
What time is that 4 30 AM . You mean we cant discuss it until 6 hours have passed? OR 1 whole day?

Read this.
Reply 47
Original post by fajita.and.friends
Arr, so nervous :frown:

Just relax, don't be tensed! As I said, edexcel grade boundaries for an A are 66 and below.
IF a quenstion says "Give this to appropriate degree of accuracy" what should we do?

Actually i still have not revised maths (didnt do so for a very long long time),
Reply 49
IF a quenstion says "Give this to appropriate degree of accuracy" what should we do?

Actually i still have not revised maths (didnt do so for a very long long time),

That just mean you give your above calculated answer to the upper bound of the particular situation in question.
Reply 50
Most may papers mirror the Jan/Nov session exam before them, so if Jan paper 3H was hard I guess the May paper 3H will be hard too!
Reply 51
i gonna flop dis dont know most of da new stuff dats dere
Reply 52
does any one know how to do kinematics or domain and range those are the main things that come up on the exam right
Reply 53
Original post by XxRahulXx
I reckon that they would have realised that the Jan was too demanding so they might lighten up. Either way you need 82% approx so that was low considering previous grade boudaries

No but our paper were set well before Jan, and usually our papers are set much in advance, so our paper maybe were set in Nov/Dec "11, and they aren't going to change what they set because of the Jan performance. Overall, Jan performance wasn't terrible as 80% was A*
Reply 54
Original post by kish667
does any one know how to do kinematics or domain and range those are the main things that come up on the exam right

Very rare topics, and they hardly turn up. Have such seen them in a couple of papers. I don't think kinematics is in the 4MA0/3H specification.
Reply 55
how do you find the gradient of the line x + 2y =6
Yes, the January 2012 papers 3H and 4H were incredibly hard. Way harder than previous years.

Does one need to get an A* in both papers for the final award - or do they average the two papers? Can one get 90% in one and 70% in the other and get an A* if 80% is A*?

Thanks
Reply 57
Original post by rapdog
how do you find the gradient of the line x + 2y =6

Rearrange it in the form y=mx+c

so you get:

2y=-x+6

Divide the both sides by two to make y the subject:

y=-x/2+3

So your gradient is -1/2 (by the way which exam series question is this , for I want to confirm my answer, and please be quick in replying)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by blueskies96
Yes, the January 2012 papers 3H and 4H were incredibly hard. Way harder than previous years.

Does one need to get an A* in both papers for the final award - or do they average the two papers? Can one get 90% in one and 70% in the other and get an A* if 80% is A*?

Thanks

just the average
Reply 59
Hey guys feel free to ask any past paper questions, or any other questions if doubts need to be cleared.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending