The Student Room Group

How many courses can I apply for at one university?

I want to apply for 'Psychology and Counselling' at a university.
My second choice for UCAS would be 'Psychology and Life Challenges' at the same university.

The courses cover a lot of the same modules and are closely linked... could I apply for both at the same university?

Would this put the university off me?

Is it best to only apply for a university Once and make all my other choices at different universities?

:confused:
posting because i need to know as well
Reply 2
Can apply to multiple at one univesity. Usually it is unwise to apply to multiple from the same faculty, as in your case. But it's worth sending an email to the admissions tutor- they're the only people that'll truly know.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Up to five, but your personal statement needs to cover all of the subjects you are applying for.

It will not disadvantage your application as long as you explain why you want to study those subjects in your personal statement.

I applied for two courses at the same university and careers at my college said there is no problem doing this as long as they are closely related.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
thank you :smile: that has helped a lot
Reply 6
Sorry to dig this up but is this possible with Chemistry and Chemical Engineering?
Reply 7
is it true you can apply to 5????
Original post by aniisah_s
is it true you can apply to 5????

Yes - but you'd be daft to.

If you're interested in similar courses then contact the uni directly and ask if transfer between the options is possible and/or simple to do.

In 99% of cases listing more than one choice at a university is a waste of a choice - either the university would have reconsidered you for the alternate courses anyway (either automatically or on your request) and if not then you'll have watered down your PS and dedication to one of the subjects by making it clear that you're unsure.

Pick your favourite for each uni, talk to them to ask them to consider you for other choices if you don't get an offer/meet your offer for your first choice course, use your other choices to apply elsewhere and explore all of your options
Reply 9
Its worth checking with the Uni as sometimes they give what are essentially the same course but with a couple of different module options, different titles so they might get more applications. Therefore it might be actually 'worth' only one choice, and once accepted you choose which pathway you want to follow. Phone the Uni and double-check.

This happened a few years back with some Art & Design courses that were actually the same course but had been marketed as ' with Ceremics, 'with Textiles' etc etc , making it look as though there were 5 separate courses.
Can I just do One?
Would it be posdible to do both Biology/Pharmacology and Psychology?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jimbob791
Would it be posdible to do both Biology/Pharmacology and Psychology?

If you're interested in similar courses then contact the uni directly and ask if transfer between the options is possible and/or simple to do.

In 99% of cases listing more than one choice at a university is a waste of a choice - either the university would have reconsidered you for the alternate courses anyway (either automatically or on your request) and if not then you'll have watered down your PS and dedication to one of the subjects by making it clear that you're unsure.

Pick your favourite for each uni, talk to them to ask them to consider you for other choices if you don't get an offer/meet your offer for your first choice course, use your other choices to apply elsewhere and explore all of your options

You can't accept offers for multiple courses - it's better to decide which you want before you apply
Original post by PQ

You can't accept offers for multiple courses - it's better to decide which you want before you apply

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply