The Student Room Group

Medicine 2013 rejection thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kev.1995
It's definitely with other factors considered, I got 665 in ukcat and got rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I don't understand how people with 642.5 average got interviews as well :confused: I guess they need to be a bit more clearer about their requirements

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 41
For all those who were rejected by Manchester and yet have high-ish UKCAT scores of 650+: They score you personal statement first and if it's unsatisfactory then they reject you immediately irregardless of UKCAT score. If you pass the personal statement check then they use a UKCAT cut-off and if that is too low then you are rejected. :redface: Good luck with the other applications :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by evan almighty
I know it sucks :frown: but on the bright side you still have 3 others (what are the others anyway) I was just just having a look at the medicine applicants stalking page for Manchester and it seems that only people that got over 660 have got interviews. But there is someone on the page with 685 that has got rejected and I also know someone that got rejected with 670. Hence it is likely the cutoff is 650-660 while taking other requirements in to account. Stay optimistic!!! :biggrin:

Southampton, Glasgow, Keele, Im almost certain to get rejections for the first two - everyone who has gotten interview for glasgow has had very high UKCAT, and the more I think about it the less I think my PS was great, so SOTON out of the window. If I just got a interview from keele I would be over the moon, but who knows, fingers crossed, what about you? heard anything else?
But I don't understand how people with 642.5 average got interviews as well :confused: I guess they need to be a bit more clearer about their requirements

They are pretty clear; you must meet the academic requirements and the cut-off for the UKCAT will vary year-on-year. In addition, they require you to have provided sufficient evidence in your personal statement that you have a clear insight into medicine and it's challenges. As it happens, the UKCAT isn't that big a factor for a lot of universities; personal statement and academic criteria are often more important.
Original post by BawanHama
Southampton, Glasgow, Keele, Im almost certain to get rejections for the first two - everyone who has gotten interview for glasgow has had very high UKCAT, and the more I think about it the less I think my PS was great, so SOTON out of the window. If I just got a interview from keele I would be over the moon, but who knows, fingers crossed, what about you? heard anything else?

Well don't just lose hope yet. Most people haven't even heard anything yet. But for now try to focus on your studies. I hope you hear something positive soon. Yeah I've an interview for Liverpool tomorrow so I'm just making sure I know my ps like the back of my hand :biggrin:

Reply 45
Well don't just lose hope yet. Most people haven't even heard anything yet. But for now try to focus on your studies. I hope you hear something positive soon. Yeah I've an interview for Liverpool tomorrow so I'm just making sure I know my ps like the back of my hand :biggrin:

Ok, well good luck, hope you impress them - make sure you smile! (not awkwardly though), my friend has a interview there tomorrow aswell.
Original post by BawanHama
Ok, well good luck, hope you impress them - make sure you smile! (not awkwardly though), my friend has a interview there tomorrow aswell.

Thanks. Yeah I'm usually very excited and happy like you said I will try not to smile awkwardly and good luck to your friend to. I will probably see them

This is the email I sent to the admission office yesterday

Dear Sir/Madame,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for the time you took to consider my application for Medicine (5-year MB ChB) course at your university. I was inevitably disappointed to hear that I was unsuccessful for the course. Nevertheless I would be eternally grateful if you could let me know what part of my application was not what you were looking for, so that if I re-apply I can make sure my application is what you are looking for. Once again thank you very much for considering my application and for reading this e-mail.

Yours sincerely,

My name
My UCAS personal ID

Just get rid of eternally it's fine apart from that.
Also remember like 99% of medicine applicants will get at least one rejection.
Reply 49

Someone with 595 for ukcat has an interview... I'm not a Manchester applicant but I thought you'd all be interested :-)

Original post by mathsguy
Someone with 595 for ukcat has an interview... I'm not a Manchester applicant but I thought you'd all be interested :-)

I am very surprised but they must have done something right and all you can say to them is well done and I hope they prepare for the interview properly considering they are fortunate to even get an interview.
Reply 51
In order to depress me even more, Cambridge will send me 3 notices saying that I was rejected:

1. Through the email the College sent to me.
2. Through the post they are going to send me.
3. Through the email from UCAS saying the application was unsuccessful.

Gosh, only one was necessary, no need to bring me that down!

:P
Original post by jinye
In order to depress me even more, Cambridge will send me 3 notices saying that I was rejected:

That must suck but chin up mate. Like someone said 99% of all medic applicants get at least one rejection so just focus on what is in front of you and esp your studies.

Reply 53
Despite knowing most medicine applicants are bound to get a rejection or two, that still doesn't make things any easier.
Having received any rejections yet, though it could happen any day now by the looks of things. :frown:
Reply 54
That must suck but chin up mate. Like someone said 99% of all medic applicants get at least one rejection so just focus on what is in front of you and esp your studies.

Yes I know, but a rejection is always a rejection, and it is bound to depress you, even if you were already prepared for it...

Anyway, I just pray that at least one offer comes through the UCAS, otherwise I am in deep trouble :s-smilie:
Reply 55
Am I the only one which already has 2 rejections?

Damn my application must be indeed really bad!
Reply 56
Original post by jinye

My application this time last year had two rejections, but I still ended up with an offer. Things could still look up. :smile:
Original post by jinye

same... it's like they need to send it by post to what? to break the news more brutally on paper or what? -,-
Original post by jinye

From where did you get second rejection?...
Reply 59
Original post by ViceVersa
My application this time last year had two rejections, but I still ended up with an offer. Things could still look up. :smile:

From where did your rejections came from?

And which offers did you get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending