The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecasx
Yeah they have to be cosets of the same subgroup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aggh I was getting confused with typos:

So let gHxiKyj g \in Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} . Then gHxi g \in Hx_{i} and gKyjg=hxi=kyj g \in Ky_{j} \Rightarrow g=hx_{i}=ky_{j} for some hH,kK h \in H, k \in K .

So Hg=H(hxi)=Hxi Hg=H(hx_{i})=Hx_{i} and Kg=K(kyj)=Kyj Kg=K(ky_{j})=Ky_{j}
Therefore HxiKyj=HgKg Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j}= Hg \cap Kg . My original typo here was that I said Kyj=Hg Ky_{j}=Hg also instead of Kg.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 401
Original post by EnglishMuon
Aggh I was getting confused with typos:

So let gHxiKyj g \in Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} . Then gHxi g \in Hx_{i} and gKyjg=hxi=kyj g \in Ky_{j} \Rightarrow g=hx_{i}=ky_{j} for some hH,kK h \in H, k \in K .

So Hg=H(hxi)=Hxi Hg=H(hx_{i})=Hx_{i} and Kg=K(kyj)=Kyj Kg=K(ky_{j})=Ky_{j}
Therefore HxiKyj=HgKg Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j}= Hg \cap Kg . My original typo here was that I said Kyj=Hg Ky_{j}=Hg also instead of Kg.

What are you trying to do here? I think you're saying that there exists x, y in G such that Hx and Ky both contain G, but this is an obvious statement, since x=y=g works (both H and K contain the identity). Therefore it is true that g belongs to Hg ^ Kg = (H ^ K)g, a coset of (H ^ K), as you have said. But this was already known to us, since we know that H ^ K is a subgroup, and that the cosets of a subgroup will partition the group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecasx
What are you trying to do here? I think you're saying that there exists x, y in G such that Hx and Ky both contain G, but this is an obvious statement, since x=y=g works (both H and K contain the identity). Therefore it is true that g belongs to Hg ^ Kg = (H ^ K)g, a coset of (H ^ K), as you have said. But this was already known to us, since we know that H ^ K is a subgroup, and that the cosets of a subgroup will partition the group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im showing that is true for all g in Hx and Ky, hence why I did that proof rather than just noting each contains the identity (there would no use in just saying each contains just 1 element the same). So this shows HgKg=HxiKyj Hg \cap Kg = Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} for any of our xi yj. So we can then say G is just 1im,1jn(HxiKyj)=i=1nm(HK)gi \displaystyle \bigcup_{1 \leq i \leq m, 1 \leq j \leq n} (Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} )= \displaystyle \bigcup_{i=1}^{nm} (H \cap K)g_{i}. i.e. H intersection K is of finite index.
(edited 7 years ago)
Any one got any ideas on this?

Question: A ball bearing rests on a ramp fixed to the top of a car which isaccelerating horizontally. The position of the ball bearing relative to theramp is used as a measure of the acceleration of the car. Show that ifthe acceleration is to be proportional to the horizontal distance moved bythe ball (measured relative to the ramp), then the ramp must be curvedupwards in the shape of a parabola. ++
Original post by AsifHossain

Question: A ball bearing rests on a ramp fixed to the top of a car which isaccelerating horizontally. The position of the ball bearing relative to theramp is used as a measure of the acceleration of the car. Show that ifthe acceleration is to be proportional to the horizontal distance moved bythe ball (measured relative to the ramp), then the ramp must be curvedupwards in the shape of a parabola. ++

This is my solution (give or take a couple of small constants from scribbling it down quickly) ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469288276.436569.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this from Upgrade Your Physics? In which case excellent book, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Your approach will want to be along the lines of showing that the gradient - or, equivalently, cot(theta) with theta to the horizontal if my mental diagram is vorrect - is proportional to x, and so a parabola must result. Any ideas on how to establish something about this angle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Is this from Upgrade Your Physics? In which case excellent book, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Your approach will want to be along the lines of showing that the gradient - or, equivalently, cot(theta) with theta to the horizontal if my mental diagram is vorrect - is proportional to x, and so a parabola must result. Any ideas on how to establish something about this angle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep it's off that book, glad to know it's useful haha.

I'm unsure if we can say that the ball is in equilibrium and maximum displacement (i.e. Rcos(theta) = ma and Rsin(theta) = mg from which the result would follow) since surely the ball would some have velocity at equilibrium so would continue rising up the ramp and therefore the value of x would increase?
Yep it's off that book, glad to know it's useful haha.

I'm unsure if we can say that the ball is in equilibrium and maximum displacement (i.e. Rcos(theta) = ma and Rsin(theta) = mg from which the result would follow) since surely the ball would some have velocity at equilibrium so would continue rising up the ramp and therefore the value of x would increase?

Are you familiar with the idea of a fictitious force?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Are you familiar with the idea of a fictitious force?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we have an inertial force acting in the positive x direction equal to ma right?
Yes, we have an inertial force acting in the positive x direction equal to ma right?

Yep. By equilibrium, it is in equilibrium relative to the ramp if that makes sense.
@Zacken Are there any resources for GT on MIT OCW? I must be blind since I can only find "Introduction to Lie Groups".
Reply 411
@Zacken Are there any resources for GT on MIT OCW? I must be blind since I can only find "Introduction to Lie Groups".

Nope, them americanos are weird.

They'll be listed under 'algebra' or 'abstract algebra'.

Groups:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-701-algebra-i-fall-2010/
Rings:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-702-algebra-ii-spring-2011/index.htm
Bit of both:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-703-modern-algebra-spring-2013/Syllabus/

Lie groups is pretty hard stuff, you'll need a lot of prerequisites for that.
Original post by Alex:
They'll be listed under 'algebra' or 'abstract algebra'.

Groups:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-701-algebra-i-fall-2010/
Rings:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-702-algebra-ii-spring-2011/index.htm
Bit of both:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-703-modern-algebra-spring-2013/Syllabus/

Lie groups is pretty hard stuff, you'll need a lot of prerequisites for that.

Thanks. and yea haha I wasn't planning on starting the lie groups stuff. a couple of years away hopefully :smile:
Thanks. and yea haha I wasn't planning on starting the lie groups stuff. a couple of years away hopefully :smile:

You planning years early.
Cmon mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's good that you're interested in group theory though. I found groups to not be interesting early on, since I'm more of an analysis person. Groups pop up everywhere, which is why we learn about them.. For instance, Lie groups I quite like, as they are groups and differentiable manifolds, so it has all group properties and you can do analysis on them.
Original post by Alex:
It's good that you're interested in group theory though. I found groups to not be interesting early on, since I'm more of an analysis person. Groups pop up everywhere, which is why we learn about them.. For instance, Lie groups I quite like, as they are groups and differentiable manifolds, so it has all group properties and you can do analysis on them.

Oh yea haha a family friend gave me a quick 1 hour condensed intro into Lie groups and tangent bundles and their links to Jacobians and stuff like that. Pretty hard to take it in that time though :wink: But yeah I love group theory and enjoy analysis, but have little experience with the latter.

So you study these areas im guessing?
Reply 417
Is there a thread like this for commoners like UCL applicants and even Bath applicants?
More seriously, I wanted to ask how much time a day or better a week is best to be invested in self study to keep the brain active for the summer? I am keeping the remainder of July free from thought but almost 2 weeks in of no maths and I begin reading analysis books before bed (30 mins or so) and worrying about the difficulty of 1st year at uni; August though I plan to start taking notes alongside reading and some exercises.
Book I am using is A (so called) Straighforward approach to Analysis by KGB (I also have A first course in Mathematical Analysis but it seems a bit too advanced for myself right now; also a bunch of PDF's of notes from different Unis)
Original post by 130398
Is there a thread like this for commoners like UCL applicants and even Bath applicants?
More seriously, I wanted to ask how much time a day or better a week is best to be invested in self study to keep the brain active for the summer? I am keeping the remainder of July free from thought but almost 2 weeks in of no maths and I begin reading analysis books before bed (30 mins or so) and worrying about the difficulty of 1st year at uni; August though I plan to start taking notes alongside reading and some exercises.
Book I am using is A (so called) Straighforward approach to Analysis by KGB (I also have A first course in Mathematical Analysis but it seems a bit too advanced for myself right now; also a bunch of PDF's of notes from different Unis)

Im pretty sure being a UCL/Bath applicant doesnt make you a commoner, the thread is for anyone who wants to do maths :tongue:
I use that Binmore book too, nice style.
Reply 419
Im pretty sure being a UCL/Bath applicant doesnt make you a commoner, the thread is for anyone who wants to do maths :tongue:
I use that Binmore book too, nice style.

And how many hours do you spend on it? And do you go by step, i.e. Do you go chapter by chapter, in order or pick what you prefer?

Quick Reply

Latest