The Student Room Group

the plank and how long before you saw results?

I'm female BTW if that makes much of a difference.

My stomach's a bit on the pudgy side of life (32" waist!!!) and i'm going on holiday this summer so want to lose at least some of it and firm it up a bit.

I heard doing the plank is better than sit-ups ????

What's the most effective way of doing this? I've been doing it with my hands, forearms and knees on the bed and lifting my stomach and feet up. I tried with my toes instead of knees on the ebd but they gave in, less than a minute into it. Is this a safe/ good position to do it in? I can do about 3 minutes at a time in this position (is this good for a noob?)

Has anyone else done this? How many minutes and how many times a day have you do this or similar and how soon did you/ other notice a difference, either in firmness or size of stomach? I do know that it'll take several months to lose quite a bit, i'm just wondering how long it is until you start to notice a difference and can do it for longer?

And as you do it more you can do it for longer, but is there a maximum safe amount of time to do it for in one go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do it on your toes, try and build up to as long as you can. Also you're probably better doing it on the floor. If you want to get rid of fat on your stomach though, you can't spot reduce; you need to reduce overall fat.
Reply 2

I know it wouldn't just take fat from my stomach, but they're the muscles being used most so they'd tone up most.
Reply 3
Original post by Nix-j-c

I know it wouldn't just take fat from my stomach, but they're the muscles being used most so they'd tone up most.

its not even worth me responding.

please just go to bodybuilding.com female section and start a thread saying you know nothing, and need to lose weight. the chances are someone will be pathetic enough to spend 30mins telling you all the basic info you need.
Original post by Nix-j-c

You don't seem to understand.

Sure planks are better for your lower back and develop greater core stability than situps/crunches/etc however they do next to nothing for fat loss or gaining muscle, the two key factors of 'toning'.

If you want to see a noticeable difference in a couple of months time you need to clean up your diet (ie; eat a decent diet, probably consume a calorie controlled diet) and you need to get plenty of quality exercise (ie; walk 3-5 miles per day, 1-3 sessions of cardio per week and 1-3 sessions of free weights +/- calisthenics).

Google is your friend - pay particular attention to women/female training articles over at EliteFTS, FigureAthlete, etc.
Reply 6
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
You don't seem to understand.

Sure planks are better for your lower back and develop greater core stability than situps/crunches/etc however they do next to nothing for fat loss or gaining muscle, the two key factors of 'toning'.

If you want to see a noticeable difference in a couple of months time you need to clean up your diet (ie; eat a decent diet, probably consume a calorie controlled diet) and you need to get plenty of quality exercise (ie; walk 3-5 miles per day, 1-3 sessions of cardio per week and 1-3 sessions of free weights +/- calisthenics).

I do eat healthily and I usually walk 4 miles a day 5 times a week.
Reply 7
Original post by seasons of wither
thats pretty harsh.

OP, as has been said, i would recommend that you do it on the floor rather than on your bed, and that the only two points of your body in contact with the floor should be your toes and elbows-wrists/the length of your forearm, like this:

i think thats the most effective way of doing it, and ive heard that over a minute in that position is good for a fitness noob :tongue: hope this helps a bit :smile:

no whats harsh is you 'helping' her by actually answering her question, then 6months down the line she'll still be fat but with carpet burns on he wrists. getting her to do some research from somewhere other than heat magasine telling her every week the new celeb diet thats bull**** would be the most beneficial thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by sconter
its not even worth me responding.

please just go to bodybuilding.com female section and start a thread saying you know nothing, and need to lose weight. the chances are someone will be pathetic enough to spend 30mins telling you all the basic info you need.

I massively enjoyed this post. It is kind of true.
Reply 9
Original post by seasons of wither
well arent you a little ray of sunshine. by answering her question, im not being harsh, im being helpful (or trying to be :tongue:) by telling her the most effective technique for what shes been doing. doing the plank properly would definitely NOT give you carpet burns- if youve had carpet burns from doing the plank then id suggest you revise your method. im not saying that your first suggestion to OP was wrong, anyway, just that it was rude.

i guess id better use [sarcasm] tags in future.

i wasnt overly rude, i was just the right amount of rude. how many people in here have said she knows nothing at all and is doing it COMPLETELY wrong? people beat around the bush and have touch on the fact doing the plank wont make her lose fat, but noone has said if all your gonig to do is the plank you may aswell be pissing in the wind. so in that sense being rude is being kind.
Original post by Nix-j-c

My stomach's a bit on the pudgy side of life (32" waist!!!) and i'm going on holiday this summer so want to lose at least some of it and firm it up a bit.

What's the most effective way of doing this? I've been doing it with my hands, forearms and knees on the bed and lifting my stomach and feet up. I tried with my toes instead of knees on the ebd but they gave in, less than a minute into it. Is this a safe/ good position to do it in? I can do about 3 minutes at a time in this position (is this good for a noob?)

Has anyone else done this? How many minutes and how many times a day have you do this or similar and how soon did you/ other notice a difference, either in firmness or size of stomach? I do know that it'll take several months to lose quite a bit, i'm just wondering how long it is until you start to notice a difference and can do it for longer?

And as you do it more you can do it for longer, but is there a maximum safe amount of time to do it for in one go?

You have absolutely no idea. No one cares about the plank. Lose weight through interval training and get on a weightlifting routine to build muscle, with squats, deadlifts, dips etc. which strengthen your core.

The plank will do **** all for fat loss and strength.
Reply 11
The plank won't help you lose weight but can help you build up pain endurance. Just don't assume that it will give you a toned stomach, you need to diet, do cardio and weights for that.
Regarding the plank, do it on your arms and feet. It doesn't matter if you cannot do it for very long. A few months ago I could only do a minute but, as my fitness improved and I was able to do more sit ups, I managed to get 4 minutes 15 last time I timed myself. Do the plank several times a week and try and hold it for a few seconds more each time. Do it on the floor,as the mattress on your bed will be soft and affect your plank. If you are worried about carpet burns, as some people said, use a yoga mat.
Hope this helps, but remember plank alone will not give you a toned stomach.
Reply 12
The plank ...... can help you build up pain endurance.

This is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have read on here- more or less the complete opposite is true.
(edited 12 years ago)
Forget about the plank.

Start doing cardiovascular exercise and eating healthy to lose weight.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nix-j-c

Get it into your head that the plank makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. The fact that you think that the plank itself deserves its own thread shows how little you actually know. Lose overall weight. Weights. Hit them heavy. The plank should possibly be included in any ab training you do, however, that shouldnt be a major focus of your workout. Ridiculous.

Original post by Nix-j-c

No. Such. Thing. As. Toning.

Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You have absolutely no idea. No one cares about the plank. Lose weight through interval training and get on a weightlifting routine to build muscle, with squats, deadlifts, dips etc. which strengthen your core.

The plank will do **** all for fat loss and strength.

This, this, so many times, this.

Original post by Mini-Me
The plank won't help you lose weight but can help you build up pain endurance. Just don't assume that it will give you a toned stomach, you need to diet, do cardio and weights for that.
Regarding the plank, do it on your arms and feet. It doesn't matter if you cannot do it for very long. A few months ago I could only do a minute but, as my fitness improved and I was able to do more sit ups, I managed to get 4 minutes 15 last time I timed myself. Do the plank several times a week and try and hold it for a few seconds more each time. Do it on the floor,as the mattress on your bed will be soft and affect your plank. If you are worried about carpet burns, as some people said, use a yoga mat.
Hope this helps, but remember plank alone will not give you a toned stomach.

That is possibly, the most ridiculous thing i've heard in my life. Please go.

I dont browse these fitness forums much. However everytime I do I see the same old crap over and over again. Silent Chaos and Chocoholic hitting their heads on a brick wall every single time. It's ridiculous. If posters, like OP decided to read the stickies first then it would stop ridiculous threads like this appearing.
How many times must this be said? You can't spot reduce fat. You have to lose fat overall. Those fat stores that are being burnt for energy come from every part of your body, not just the nearest stores to the muscle you're working.

Reduce body fat, gain muscle mass. This is "toning up". Planks will help build core strength, and can help the abs pop. But only in combination with a full body workout.

Everything else is down to genetics and building a decent amount of muscle. YOU WON'T TURN MAN SIZED. You don't have the hormones nor the body structure, it just isn't realistically possible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nix-j-c
I do eat healthily and I usually walk 4 miles a day 5 times a week.

With all due respect the majority of people who make such a claim don't. Likewise eating 'healthily' doesn't necessarily mean that you are eating properly, whether that's too much food in general or you're still making the wrong food choices.

If your diet was that good you would be a little on the chubby side and you wouldn't be here looking for advice :wink:
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
With all due respect the majority of people who make such a claim don't. Likewise eating 'healthily' doesn't necessarily mean that you are eating properly, whether that's too much food in general or you're still making the wrong food choices.

If your diet was that good you would be a little on the chubby side and you wouldn't be here looking for advice :wink:

Hear hear!

It's like those people that say, "oh I'm fat and fit" :facepalm:. Yeah fit relative to someone who is 40 stone! :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Forget about the plank.

Start doing cardiovascular exercise and eating healthy to lose weight.

I didn't say I wanted to lose weight. I know that if I build a bit of muscle, that'll compensate for the weight lsot due to the fat going.
Reply 19
A 32'' waist on a female that isn't over 6ft is plain fat also.

Quick Reply

Latest