The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know why on page 10 it says "It is clear that there have not been any major significant changes since then". Why is it clear?
Anyone have an answer related to carrying out a traffic survey? Genuinely don't know what to write for it :frown:
Original post by balletlover
Anyone have an answer related to carrying out a traffic survey? Genuinely don't know what to write for it :frown:

Yeah, we got given a model 10 mark answer today. I shall type it up for you, bare with me :smile:
Original post by sixthformwizard
Does anyone know why on page 10 it says "It is clear that there have not been any major significant changes since then". Why is it clear?

Yeah I was puzzled by this, especially as seeing as the house prices are said to have risen etc which is bound to change the demographics of Poole?! But either way, we will not need to know why the census data hasn't changed.
Reply 164
Original post by Sophie1805
Someone wanna mark my exam answers?? It may help you :wink: (Ok, maybe not, but I'd appreciate help)

I think those answers include pretty much everything I could think of which is reassuring to know! Lol.

I would expect high marks from those answers! :smile:
Yeah, we got given a model 10 mark answer today. I shall type it up for you, bare with me :smile:

thank you! life saver :biggrin:
Reply 166
Original post by 0zzy94

Original post by 0zzy94
'Present the data in graph form'

Does Choropleth count as 'Graph' form? Our teacher told us Choropleth was very, very, very likely to come up.

yeah you're better off using stacked bar charts (or maybe located pie charts) when it asks that, unless it population density like ^^ said :smile:
Reply 167
Someone wanna mark my exam answers?? It may help you :wink: (Ok, maybe not, but I'd appreciate help)
3) With reference to employment activity from P6 suggest how you would present the data in graph form. (6 marks).

The only thing I'd say is to make it clearer that there is only one bar (with segments in it) on the map per SOA? I presume that's the way you're doing it. You say you have to draw 'bar charts' on each SOA on the map, but it might be better if you just state you have to draw one bar per SOA. Just a little thing :smile:

Also, general question - my teacher said the same thing as you and said that stacked bar charts must be proportional, and represent percentages - why? Couldn't you just plot the original data (with a suitable scale) and this would also have the added advantage of being able to measure what the total for each SOA is?
Original post by sixthformwizard

They don't want you making references to the innaccuracy of the census data as you want you to focus on the geography of it so they've put that there just saying 'assume it is correct'

Hope that helps
Original post by balletlover

Consider the methods that might be used by a group of A-Level geography students doing fieldwork in Poole who decide to carry out a traffic survey on the A350 and the B3068 roads to try to show whether a new bridge is really needed (10 marks)

In order to identify whether a new bridge is needed in Poole, I would carry out field work which would gather qualitative data (opinions) and quantitative data (numerical) both methods will use systematic sampling. One method of quantitative dad is a traffic count. To this surveyors would be placed at equal spacing (every 250m) along a transect along the A350 and B3068. People would be placed on either side of the road. Using a stop watch a traffic count would be taken for 10 minutes. A tally of traffic would be taken for all traffic passion on both sides of the road in that time. The traffic count would be repeated every hour on the hour between the hours of 6am and 8pm. This method would enable students to identify the amount of traffic passing the A350 and the B3068 and to assess the amount of congestion taking place. By conducting the study between 6am and 8pm traffic is recorded at peak traffic flow and at times of quieter traffic flow. This would help to keep the traffic count as accurate as possible. However, there is still room for error. Firstly, the clickers may malfunction or human error (double counting a car for example) may take place. This would result in incorrect statistics. Another problem is that although we can make our test as fair as possible, there are still uncontrollable variables e.g. traffic jams that may disturb our survey. The biggest problem is the difference in seasons. This is in an important factor in the bridge construction as boat traffic increases considerably in the summer months. To counteract this a traffic count would have to take place in each of the seasons to identify whether a bridge is really needed or whether there are just seasonal peaks of traffic flow.

I would also collect questionnaire data (qualitative) to gauge public opinion in Poole to identify if a bridge is needed. Groups will carry out the questionnaires at every tenth house in a 3 mile radius of the bridge in order to get a fair representation of opinion in the local area. Questions will gauge opinion on traffic congestion caused by the bridge and opinions about the proposed bridge and what they hope it will achieve for the area. The researcher is able to contact large numbers of people quickly, easily and efficiently. Questionnaires are relatively quick and easy to create, code and interpret (especially if closed questions are used). In addition, the respondent - not the researcher - does the time-consuming part of completing the questionnaire. Limitations of this method are the format of questionnaire design makes it difficult for the researcher to examine complex issues and opinions. Even where open-ended questions are used, the depth of answers that the respondent can provide tend to more limited than with almost any other method of research.This makes it difficult for a researcher to gather information that is rich in depth and detail.

Health and safety must be considered at all times. Researchers must stay in groups for safety, keep mobile phone contact, wear high visibility jackets so that they can be seen by traffic at all times and alert local authorities to the fact that this research is being carried out.
Reply 170
Original post by 0zzy94
'Present the data in graph form'

Does Choropleth count as 'Graph' form? Our teacher told us Choropleth was very, very, very likely to come up.

Choropleth is very useful when you are comparing one variable per SOA - such as population density, as each SOA can be shaded differently depending on its density.

However, the question here was about employment, which has 8 different categories (columns F-M). There is no way you can show 8 different categories for each SOA with one shade. Therefore you have to draw something that shows different proportions on each SOA, such as a stacked bar chat. Pie charts are also ok but not as good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 171
Thanks for this, where are them figures from?

I got them from the website that the booklet tells us to use :smile:
Original post by ~S94
I think those answers include pretty much everything I could think of which is reassuring to know! Lol.

I would expect high marks from those answers! :smile:

Woohoo! Thanks :smile: x
Reply 173
how do you actually do stacked bar charts? :s
Original post by flem

Emilyyyy (It's Bunce) - I'll send you the link now on Twitter :smile: :tongue:
Reply 175
Original post by flem

It's a bit like a pie chart - make your data into percentages. Then you have a single bar, and divide it up into those percentage chunks. Then you can draw one bar over each SOA on the map.

Like this: http://www.icoachmath.com/math_dictionary/Stacked_Bar_Graph.html
Reply 176

Emilyyyy (It's Bunce) - I'll send you the link now on Twitter :smile: :tongue:

knew it! 'kay thankss!!
Guys.. Help needed for this question... It's 12 marks and I have only written 3 paragraphs. Any suggestions?

6) Not everyone in Poole is subjective to redevelopment. Why may some individuals object to the development of Hamworthy Gate? (12 marks)
The regeneration of the Hamworthy Gate will mean a lot of demolition and construction work in order to build the foundations for new businesses and for commercial use. During the demolition and construction it is likely to heavily congest the area, in particular Blandford Road (B3068) and surrounding areas in Lower Hamworthy. The plan is to introduce commercial buildings and a limit has been set to 6 storeys high, however this could create an unpleasant site for the residents. The idea is to create an ‘urban village’. The locals may not appreciate their idyllic harbour being transformed into an industrialised, economic hub.

Additionally, the increased supply of housing (approximately 3,000 homes) may lead to reduced house prices this may not be beneficial to the locals, especially as those who live in owner occupied dwellings is considerably higher then that of the national average (referenced from Figure P6).

Furthermore ‘The town is built around Poole Harbour, which locals claim is the second biggest natural harbour I the world.” the development of Hamworthy Gate and surrounding areas is going to bring disruption to the natural habitats in the area such as the saltmarsh and wetland. The locals may disprove of the interruptions to the ecology that the development will bring.
Original post by tb1993
Those answers seem really good, although the first one could do with a little more information, i'd try and incorperate the 1,700 homes and 4,000 sq. metres of floor space for business on the hamworthy gate site in there, as well as the 96 new homes that are to be constructed near the new ASDA as part of the Linden Homes scheme. :smile:

So, is the Asda not on the Hamworthy gate site?
Reply 179
Original post by dannyk

Original post by dannyk
It's a bit like a pie chart - make your data into percentages. Then you have a single bar, and divide it up into those percentage chunks. Then you can draw one bar over each SOA on the map.

Like this: http://www.icoachmath.com/math_dictionary/Stacked_Bar_Graph.html

oh thats not that hard actually, thankyou! :smile:

Quick Reply