The Student Room Group

Going serious swimming in a bikini?

ok i'm fully expecting a wave of negs because anything i post in here does... but i'm not a fitness buff so don't blame me!

i have been swiming twice a week for the past 3 months for excersize (as in doing lengths, i usually do 2 miles a week), i wear a bikini because it's the only thing i have that gives me proper support... though everyone else wears proper swimming suits and i feel maybe i am not taking it seriously enough? is it odd to wear a bikini when you're doing proper swimming? when i get in and out of the pool i feel a bit self conscious because no one else is wearing a bikini...

to be fair most people are in their 30s/40s.. but there have been a few people my age and they wear proper swimming costumes.. i wouldn't mind wearing a swimming costume but i don't have one and the only ones that are supportive enough cost an arm and a leg!!

Scroll to see replies

So buy a onesie?
Reply 2
If it bothers you, maybe wear a full swimming costume with a bikini on underneath?
Reply 3
Original post by Craig_D
If it bothers you, maybe wear a full swimming costume with a bikini on underneath?

that would probably be uncomfortable and it would look weird anyway i think
Well if you feel more comfortable in a bikini then I don't think it's a problem. I don't wear one-piece costumes either, but because they make my belly look huge.
Reply 5
Original post by rainbow.panda
Well if you feel more comfortable in a bikini then I don't think it's a problem. I don't wear one-piece costumes either, but because they make my belly look huge.

do you mean when you just go general swimming/beach with friends or when you go fitness swiming?
Original post by Bellissima
do you mean when you just go general swimming/beach with friends or when you go fitness swiming?

I don't go fitness swimming at the moment, I probably will do when I get to uni, but I think I'll still wear a bikini anyway. Swimsuits are supposed to make you more streamlined and increase efficiency while swimming though, so they may be better in that sense. Has anyone said anything to you about it?
Reply 7
Original post by rainbow.panda
I don't go fitness swimming at the moment, I probably will do when I get to uni, but I think I'll still wear a bikini anyway. Swimsuits are supposed to make you more streamlined and increase efficiency while swimming though, so they may be better in that sense. Has anyone said anything to you about it?

nope! but i just feel weird like i should be wearing a swimsuit like there's some kind of unspoken rule :s-smilie:
nope! but i just feel weird like i should be wearing a swimsuit like there's some kind of unspoken rule :s-smilie:

Yeh, I get what you mean. Well if you're in doubt I suppose you could just get a swimsuit, but as you said it'd cost you quite a bit.
I find exactly the same thing when i swim lengths in a bikini! There's definitely some kinda unspoken rule there....but oh welll.... :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by danielle-dansmell
I find exactly the same thing when i swim lengths in a bikini! There's definitely some kinda unspoken rule there....but oh welll.... :smile:

ok it's a relief to know i'm not the only one who gets this vibe!
Reply 11
if anything...more girls should wear bikinis while swimming..... the girls are lame where i go....
Odd, I thought a one piece provided more support than a bikini. I am a large busted girl (32E) and own a sports one piece, I've never felt any lack of support. I'd actually feel more self conscious in a bikini.

It was only Β£12 too!
Reply 13
Original post by babygirl110
Odd, I thought a one piece provided more support than a bikini. I am a large busted girl (32E) and own a sports one piece, I've never felt any lack of support. I'd actually feel more self conscious in a bikini.

It was only Β£12 too!

seriously where from? i am the same size as you.. i've never felt any support from a one piece! those ones without cups are bad but those ones with cups i find way too expensive..
seriously where from? i am the same size as you.. i've never felt any support from a one piece! those ones without cups are bad but those ones with cups i find way too expensive..

http://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-x-back-swimsuit-ladies-354049

Where do you get good bikinis? I find it difficult to get good ones that won't have me spilling out. I once tried on a nice fitting one at Lasenza, but I didn't have the money to get it at that time until the season passed and now Lasenza is closed too!
Reply 15
Original post by babygirl110
http://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-x-back-swimsuit-ladies-354049

Where do you get good bikinis? I find it difficult to get good ones that won't have me spilling out. I once tried on a nice fitting one at Lasenza, but I didn't have the money to get it at that time until the season passed and now Lasenza is closed too!

does that support even with no cups then??

ahh i got my bikinis from la senza.. they were actually the only things from la senza that actually sized properly that i bought!! i don't know what i'm going to do now... i will probably try boux avenue this summer. the rest are way too expensive for me.. like freya etc. and i find their designs too old.
i think next and debenhams do biknis though i've never tried them.. i think next comes up weird.. oh and george at asda and tesco.
ok i'm fully expecting a wave of negs because anything i post in here does... but i'm not a fitness buff so don't blame me!

i have been swiming twice a week for the past 3 months for excersize (as in doing lengths, i usually do 2 miles a week), i wear a bikini because it's the only thing i have that gives me proper support... though everyone else wears proper swimming suits and i feel maybe i am not taking it seriously enough? is it odd to wear a bikini when you're doing proper swimming? when i get in and out of the pool i feel a bit self conscious because no one else is wearing a bikini...

to be fair most people are in their 30s/40s.. but there have been a few people my age and they wear proper swimming costumes.. i wouldn't mind wearing a swimming costume but i don't have one and the only ones that are supportive enough cost an arm and a leg!!

How about when you next go swimming you ask the guy swimming behind you :sexface:

Nah, when I go swimming with friends they wear bikini-esque thingies, and this is for doing lanes. I wouldn't think twice if you turned up in a bikini, unless it's a pool frequented by elderly ladies with swimming caps on? :biggrin:
Its up to you just do what ever you really comfortable with
Reply 18
Original post by Architecture-er
How about when you next go swimming you ask the guy swimming behind you :sexface:

Nah, when I go swimming with friends they wear bikini-esque thingies, and this is for doing lanes. I wouldn't think twice if you turned up in a bikini, unless it's a pool frequented by elderly ladies with swimming caps on? :biggrin:

haha i don't get the deal surely bikinis are just like a full costume with the middle bit missing??

yep but sans swimming cap... i've got a few dirty looks which is why i'm questioning it... :frown:
does that support even with no cups then??

ahh i got my bikinis from la senza.. they were actually the only things from la senza that actually sized properly that i bought!! i don't know what i'm going to do now... i will probably try boux avenue this summer. the rest are way too expensive for me.. like freya etc. and i find their designs too old.
i think next and debenhams do biknis though i've never tried them.. i think next comes up weird.. oh and george at asda and tesco.

Yes, a good fitting one is supportive with no cups, there's some extra material underneath that kind of gives supportive shape. Try them on and see.

I've looked at Next, George and Tesco and I'm so doubtful about the quality. I've not actually tried them on though.

I'm so upset about lasenza because I relied on them for my underwear and should have got bikinis there too. I think Bravissimo is a bit expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest