The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Same to you. Welcome to the Soc, btw! Think I forgot to welcome you before.

Have a Hotel Chocolat caramel egg! Unless you gave chocolate up for Lent? :ninja:

Oh thanks :smile: Anything to be surrounded by people who believe the same as me, which is getting increasingly hard to find... :smile: I like this thread :smile:
I tried to give up all luxuries for Lent, which partly failed because I didn't really have one thing to give up apart from meat. Trying to be traditional hahahahahaha :smile:
Now it's Easter I'm so excited that I can eat or do anything! :biggrin:
Original post by rac1
ah right just found out where that flag is!:smile:

that's really great!!!:congrats::cool:

Congratulations! Welcome to our worldwide family! :biggrin::biggrin:
The Triduum this year was really special, as it is every year, but I feel spiritually renewed again! Watched so many different adaptations of the Passion and Resurrection and it's helped me this year to appreciate Jesus as an actual human. A man that walked upon the earth.

The BBC one with Joseph Mawle, James Nesbitt and Dean Lennox-Kelly is particularly good! :smile:

Reading the Bible (John's Gospel) helped too :smile:

Just wanted to share that with you all :smile:
Reply 4083
Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
The Triduum this year was really special, as it is every year, but I feel spiritually renewed again! Watched so many different adaptations of the Passion and Resurrection and it's helped me this year to appreciate Jesus as an actual human. A man that walked upon the earth.

The BBC one with Joseph Mawle, James Nesbitt and Dean Lennox-Kelly is particularly good! :smile:

Reading the Bible (John's Gospel) helped too :smile:

Just wanted to share that with you all :smile:

well done I haven't even seen that film of the Passion with Mel Gibson or who ever. :smile:

BTW that book I was on about has a preview on Google books
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DANMe2tIfgYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=catholic+handbook+for+youth&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kYaIT8bkBYer0QWtw-WtCg&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=catholic%20handbook%20for%20youth&f=false
I've got a phobia of those kinda films, so I've been advised not to watch the Mel Gibson one! :afraid:
Reply 4085
i hate horror films!:smile:
Original post by rac1
i hate horror films!:smile:

Me too :five:
Regarding the passion I always watch many with interest as since being young I've always had a fascination with 'crucifxion' - from an interest in the methodology behind its use. - It also gives me a greater appreciation of what Our Lord went through and how could any man willingly go through such an agony can only make my faith stronger. I think going to YouCats has helped too.

In other things I've booked my train tickets for Lourdes this year :smile: First time since 1991 that I've been on the train.

Anyway I went to see my Uncle in the hospice this afternoon. He's not been well during the week - being very agitated apparently and they've had my Auntie and my cousins as well as some other relatives (both my auntie [Mum's sister] and Gerard come from huge families]. But he slept most of the time while we were there. - Sean his brother's come over from Ireland though for a couple of days.
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Regarding the passion I always watch many with interest as since being young I've always had a fascination with 'crucifxion' - from an interest in the methodology behind its use. - It also gives me a greater appreciation of what Our Lord went through and how could any man willingly go through such an agony can only make my faith stronger. I think going to YouCats has helped too.

In other things I've booked my train tickets for Lourdes this year :smile: First time since 1991 that I've been on the train.

Anyway I went to see my Uncle in the hospice this afternoon. He's not been well during the week - being very agitated apparently and they've had my Auntie and my cousins as well as some other relatives (both my auntie [Mum's sister] and Gerard come from huge families]. But he slept most of the time while we were there. - Sean his brother's come over from Ireland though for a couple of days.

I went to Lourdes two years ago on the train :biggrin: It was amazing (being there and the train journey)! It feels like heaven, like the safest place in the world. I've never felt so safe! The Eurostar is cool too :smile:

In my prayers...
Praying for your family, Matthew :yes:
Reply 4090
Me too :five:

love that smiley!:smile:

Hope your Uncle gets better soon!!!:smile:

One day I'll go to Lourdes

My prayers are with you.

Sometime within this or next year, I'll go visit Lourdes too! :biggrin:
I've got a phobia of those kinda films, so I've been advised not to watch the Mel Gibson one! :afraid:

I've never watched the Mel Gibson one- the Passion without the Resurrection misses the story of Christ completely. And given his rants over the last few years towards Jewish people, yet another reason not to.
Original post by barnetlad
I've never watched the Mel Gibson one- the Passion without the Resurrection misses the story of Christ completely. And given his rants over the last few years towards Jewish people, yet another reason not to.

Oh, I didn't realise he didn't do the resurrection. That's pretty bad. I mean, I know Jesus Christ Superstar doesn't but that's hardly a deep theological film/musical...

Can I join in on the Lourdes love? :love: Had the most amazing spiritual healing there :yes:
Reply 4094
Oh, I didn't realise he didn't do the resurrection. That's pretty bad. I mean, I know Jesus Christ Superstar doesn't but that's hardly a deep theological film/musical...

Can I join in on the Lourdes love? :love: Had the most amazing spiritual healing there :yes:

lol I think i'll have to watch this film as for now that will be as close to going on a pilgrimage as I can get for now. I don't mind though:smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Way-DVD-Martin-Sheen/dp/B005CUC100
Reply 4095
Original post by barnetlad
I've never watched the Mel Gibson one- the Passion without the Resurrection misses the story of Christ completely.
Because you've not seen it, Mel Gibson’s movie The Passion of the Christ is basically a dramatisation of the 14 traditional Stations of the Cross.

Throughout the movie, the characters have flashbacks that tell the story of Jesus’ ministry. That is an excellent technique, because the New Testament doesn’t give us enough narrative detail about anything other than the Passion to write a movie script.

The traditional 14 Stations of the Cross include events that are not in Scripture, but may very well have occurred. For example, the woman who wiped Jesus’ face with a cloth is known as St. Veronica. The incident is preserved in Christian legend but not in scripture.

No movie is perfect, but this movie does do a good job of making you feel that you somehow got to witness the actual event.

The movie does include the Resurrection, by the way. :smile: [source: kencollins.com]
(edited 12 years ago)
I've just been made Godfather for my cousin! I made them an offer they couldn't refuse...
Original post by jerseymackem
I've just been made Godfather for my cousin! I made them an offer they couldn't refuse...

:woo: :party: :danceboy:

Congratulations! What a wonderful Easter gift they have given you! Though the responsibility too! :eek3:

I'm sure you'll do well though :smile:

Original post by yawn
:h:

yawn! You're back! Did you have a good Easter? :hugs:
Reply 4098

yawn! You're back! Did you have a good Easter? :hugs:

I'm back on line temporarily but not back in the country yet!

Went to the Easter vigil Mass here...in the wilds of Connemara on the west coast of Galway, and in the Irish speaking area.

The liturgy was obviously all in Irish, but the thing about our Church is that you know exactly where you are in the Mass as it's the same the world over. The singing was done by a group of young parishoners who had obviously worked very hard to produce a polished performance. The final hymn was "Lord of the Dance" - in Irish - and sung as it should be, ie fast! A tape recording of a lone Irish tap dancer was played simultaneously and the effect was mesmerising. A truly wonderful and joyous experience for the entire congregation.

I hope things went well for you over Easter.

God bless you, my friend. :smile:
Original post by yawn
I'm back on line temporarily but not back in the country yet!

Went to the Easter vigil Mass here...in the wilds of Connemara on the west coast of Galway, and in the Irish speaking area.

The liturgy was obviously all in Irish, but the thing about our Church is that you know exactly where you are in the Mass as it's the same the world over. The singing was done by a group of young parishoners who had obviously worked very hard to produce a polished performance. The final hymn was "Lord of the Dance" - in Irish - and sung as it should be, ie fast! A tape recording of a lone Irish tap dancer was played simultaneously and the effect was mesmerising. A truly wonderful and joyous experience for the entire congregation.

I hope things went well for you over Easter.

God bless you, my friend. :smile:

Ah I see! Well good to see you posting online anyway. Sounds like you had a lovely service over there :h:

You wouldn't believe how my Holy Week went. 6 services gone to (Palm Sunday, spy weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun), a job interview for parish secretary on Maundy Thursday and I even joined the church choir to sing for the Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday Mass. No voices or anything bad at all. Praise the Lord! :woo: :jebus: :party:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending