The Student Room Group

Girls: Pole Dancing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imy7
I was actually replying to py0alb.

Some of the points you're making are shocking. The whole point is that they're taking something that could potentially be demeaning and using it for their own good and NOT using it in a way that would please men or support the suppression of women.

I think it's empowering. Surely you should support the idea that more women are trying it out...

Sorry I think I miscommunicated my point badly. I'm not saying being sexually or embracing ones sexuality is a bad thing - just not under certain circumstances i.e. strip clubs. Strip clubs are degrading to women. Men go to them and essentially chuck money at women to sexually arroused. The stripper is not really empowered by turning them on and taking their money by degrading herself in the process.

Although doing a pole dancing class isn't the circumstances it is still associated with the origins of it. If you compare it to race, racism has come along way of being totally unacceptable... but think of all the comments in day today life we just accept and take for granted?
Original post by Village Whisper
Thank you so much for this! No, no one else seems to have joined in, and no one else seems to have guessed the uni either. I thought it was pretty obvious from the bit about sports, too :tongue:

You've basically just confirmed everything I've read so far (not in this thread!) about the soc, about it having a good reputation and everything else. It does sound like they're a really nice group of people (is it all girls?), which is reassuring because I think that society (as a "subject", I mean) in particular could be really awful to join if all the girls were really bitchy or something. So yeah, it does sound good and although I'll probably be really nervous I think I might join too :smile:

I'm also curious now as to what the other one is now :tongue: PM me?

It is all girls yes. I'm not quite sure where they stand in terms of equality in having to allow boys lol - but the union team absolutely love them and the new Societies president used to be the chair of them as well. Definitely going to be an awesome society to be part of! I wish I had videos of their acceptance speeches at the awards - it honestly just conveyed how much of a awesome society they are, and how much work they all put into running it.

I think the main thing about them is that as a society, rather than AU club, its open to everyone - not based on auditions etc as with AU. so you don't get that whole super bitchy competitive vibe.

I will PM you now about 'the other one' which is literally the complete opposite, haha.
Reply 242
Original post by py0alb
When did I say that? :hmmm:

just one example here..

Flo[ProActiv]: I have my lessons in a small studio, not in a nightclub. And the only people who ever see me are the other people in my class.

py0alb: Well don't worry about it, everyone has to start somewhere.
Reply 243
Original post by imy7
just one example here..

Flo[ProActiv]: I have my lessons in a small studio, not in a nightclub. And the only people who ever see me are the other people in my class.

py0alb: Well don't worry about it, everyone has to start somewhere.

oh come on now, I thought that was pretty damn funny.
Reply 244
Original post by Alexedcoms
Sorry I think I miscommunicated my point badly. I'm not saying being sexually or embracing ones sexuality is a bad thing - just not under certain circumstances i.e. strip clubs. Strip clubs are degrading to women. Men go to them and essentially chuck money at women to sexually arroused. The stripper is not really empowered by turning them on and taking their money by degrading herself in the process.

Although doing a pole dancing class isn't the circumstances it is still associated with the origins of it. If you compare it to race, racism has come along way of being totally unacceptable... but think of all the comments in day today life we just accept and take for granted?

It's subjective; some girls may think it's empowering to take your clothes off and get paid by horny men. Personally I agree with you that thats not a very good way to go about it and it depends on the circumstances.
Reply 245
lol. Feminists always manage to ruin everything. Pole-dancing (non-professional, that is) should be a fun way for women to gain confidence in themselves and simultaneously. It is risque and sexual, that's the whole point of it. Obviously if you do it professionally, or you like to post endless pictures and videos of yourself doing it on facebook (as a friend of mine loves doing), you shouldn't be surprised if you face some kind of social stigma for it.

I also don't see anything particularly wrong with a university having a pole-dancing society.
Reply 246
Original post by py0alb
oh come on now, I thought that was pretty damn funny.

not the point :wink:
Reply 247
Original post by D.R.E
lol. Feminists always manage to ruin everything. Pole-dancing (non-professional, that is) should be a fun way for women to gain confidence in themselves and simultaneously. It is risque and sexual, that's the whole point of it. Obviously if you do it professionally, or you like to post endless pictures and videos of yourself doing it on facebook (as a friend of mine loves doing), you shouldn't be surprised if you face some kind of social stigma for it.

I also don't see anything particularly wrong with a university having a pole-dancing society.

this. ^^^^^^^
@ D.R.E Feminists are anyone who believe in women's equal rights. I would hope you are a feminist too!
Reply 249
Original post by D.R.E

Nor has anyone else on this thread stated it is wrong.
Reply 250
I'm a people-ist, does that count?
Reply 251
I wonder if women would watch male pole dancers
Reply 252
Original post by D.R.E
It is risque and sexual, that's the whole point of it.

A couple of the people in this thread seem to have been hiding behind that.
Original post by goape

Actually, that's not true:

Alexedcoms: "I agree pole dancing classes should not be supported by universities."
Original post by goape

Yes they have: (edit - VW beat me to it)

I agree pole dancing classes should not be supported by universities. Pole dancing although a talented and demanding 'sport' on face value has under and over tones of sexuality due to it's association with being sexest and degrading women to women in the commericial world.

Original post by py0alb
I wonder if women would watch male pole dancers

I would. I doubt I'd find it arousing though. Why do you wonder if they would? I saw a chinese pole performer at the Edinburgh Festival last year and he was unbelievable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 255
Original post by Village Whisper
Actually, that's not true:

Alexedcoms: "I agree pole dancing classes should not be supported by universities."

Oh, I missed that part of the debate!

Needless to say I disagree. What is degrading to one woman may be empowering to another, and I don't believe one has the right to force their belief on the other (as long as no harm is involved).
Original post by goape
Oh, I missed that part of the debate!

Needless to say I disagree. What is degrading to one woman may be empowering to another, and I don't believe one has the right to force their belief on the other (as long as no harm is involved).

@ Goape - thats the point - harm is being done even if you may not think it is or intend it.
Reply 257
@ Goape - thats the point - harm is being done even if you may not think it is or intend it.

So what is your position? That pole dancing clubs / strip clubs should be banned?
Original post by goape
So what is your position? That pole dancing clubs / strip clubs should be banned?

It depends on your definition of them, but yes.
Reply 259
It depends on your definition of them, but yes.

That's ridiculous. Objectification of women is a fact of life and is human nature, you're not going even remotely stop it by banning them, you'll just push it underground and in the process physically endanger the women who continue to do it, relative to when it is was legal. Now that would be degrading to women. It's degrading to women to tell them that they can't partake in strip club activities if they want to.

Quick Reply

Latest