The Student Room Group

Exam errors AGAIN...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by QwertyG
"A Channel 4 News investigation reveals exam boards making money from their own mistakes, how state schools are more likely to lose out"

What do private schools do that state schools dont when it comes to exam boards and mistakes??

very good lawyers with plenty of funds to take the board to court should they not comply.
Reply 21
I always find it suspicious how you hardly ever hear of papers being marked down.

I mean a kid at my old school did a GCSE Maths paper for goodness' sake, and it got remarked from a high A to an A*. Makes you wonder if it's initial poor marking or bribery...
****ing stupid examiners, hoping I don't get an incompetent imbecile of an examiner.

Original post by Katie (:
This makes me so angry! I remember my colleges AS unit 2 law exam grades were really low so my teacher requested a remark and every single student went up AT LEAST one grade. I only went up one grade but there was this one guy who went from a D to a solid A. What the ****!

:eek3:

Absolute madness!
Original post by High VOLTAGE
Same my teacher told me not to get a remark. Also i got an E on an exam that i thought i had done so well in, it was chem OCR A2 in january, maybe i did get an E, maybe not, i just put it down to me being too thick for it. Who knows now...

Same thing for me, I got two E's. But in Units 1,2,3 and 4 I got A's (this was before A*'s) and I got A's in my coursework. I felt like I'd done just as well in those exams as my other ones, so I was shocked when I got E's. My teacher just said that exam markers don't really get it wrong often so there's probably no point and I can still get into my Uni so there's not much point.

But looking at this..it seems mistakes aren't that rare. Hell maybe they mixed up my mark with someone else's. I mean maybe I did get E's, but it was such a surprise. Wonder if a re-mark could have turned that B into an A...
Reply 24
Original post by najinaji
I always find it suspicious how you hardly ever hear of papers being marked down.

I mean a kid at my old school did a GCSE Maths paper for goodness' sake, and it got remarked from a high A to an A*. Makes you wonder if it's initial poor marking or bribery...

Not true, my friend got his A-level biology paper remarked and it went down two marks, when he got the teacher to mark it, it should have went up by three grades, atleast with the harshest of marking.

That means for both times, the examiner had failed to mark correctly.
For one of the questions, the first time round he got 6/6, after the remark he got 2/6, where in reality he should've mainted that 6/6 - and this is just one example, there were SO many more - I've completely lost faith in the whole system tbh.
Original post by ctosh
hmmm i live in scotland..... anyone know if the sqa system is different?

I'm actually curious about this too seeing as we can't get remarks without having done exceptionally better in our prelims (which I never do).
So someone was fired for making light of corruption and carelessness within our grading system? This is disgusting. The concept of remarks is disgusting. Why would my grade change if the people who are paid to mark exams did their job? Why does anyone need to pay to remark? If you can't do your job you don't deserve payment. Maybe if the grade changes as a result of someone remarking then you don't pay, but you're charged for using up someone's time if your grade doesn't change? It's stupid.
Original post by High VOLTAGE
We should protest outside their HQ, but lucky for them they're not in London.

Heh, the OCR headquaters is about a 10 minute walk from my sixth form :biggrin:
Reply 28
There shouldn't be the need for re-marks full stop! Get it right the 1st time -.-
I remember with GCSE's our school asked them to remark the whole english and RE exams.... A THIRD WENT UP A GRADE absolutely mad. Will be so angry if I am one grade of getting into uni because of some idiot examiner!
Reply 29
This is scary! :s
Reply 30
Original post by ctosh
hmmm i live in scotland..... anyone know if the sqa system is different?

Original post by Quick-use
I'm actually curious about this too seeing as we can't get remarks without having done exceptionally better in our prelims (which I never do).

As far as I'm aware, after SQA papers are marked, they are rechecked by someone else.
Reply 31
Original post by Ronda
As far as I'm aware, after SQA papers are marked, they are rechecked by someone else.

Don't think so, they'll only take a sample of each markers papers to check they haven't been doing anything silly on a large scale.
Reply 32
A few years ago, there was a boy who did GCSE Economics in my school and on results day, he got a UMS score of something like 56 out of 100. He requested a remark and his UMS mark went up to 88 out of 100.

I have no idea how that happened :eek:
Reply 33
Original post by mimx
Don't think so, they'll only take a sample of each markers papers to check they haven't been doing anything silly on a large scale.

It must have been that I'd heard then. It was from a teacher at school who does marking, so it was a good few years ago he would have told me :p:
Reply 34
I hate these bustards. At AS I got a D in one of my history exams, I was convinced it was just an ordinary day, so a minimum of a B. I asked my college if I can get it remarked, and the lady was like no what's the point, you've already got a B overall even with the D in one unit? That pissed me off even more! Bitch, I'm paying for the remark, not you, and secondly don't you dare tell me what is good enough for me.

My mark went up by 10ums, and I got a C which meant an A overall. Still unhappy I decided to resit in January, got 96. Same revision, same technique.

So pissed off that my chances of getting into my firm choice may have nothing to do with how well/poorly I revise :frown:.

Rant over.
Reply 35
This is so worrying... I didn't get into my firm OR my insurance last year because of my exam results - some of which I thought I'd done really well in.. :/ I'm now at a university that's ranked waaaaayyyyyyyy lower than my firm was ranked, doing a completely different course. :s If I'd have known this I'd have fought for a remark more...

I'm now doing Advertising & Marketing (which i probably enjoy more anyway tbh) instead of German! I'm lucky that I found a course that suits me better in clearing, but what about the people who didn't?
How can they not be doing more to stop this when this is completely changing peoples futures???
Reply 36
This is so annoyingt after all the hard work we put in :frown:
what a disgrace !!!!
Original post by QwertyG
"A Channel 4 News investigation reveals exam boards making money from their own mistakes, how state schools are more likely to lose out"

What do private schools do that state schools dont when it comes to exam boards and mistakes??

The private schools give a ****. The private schools are desperately trying to improve performance so that they can attract new students. Thus private schools are more likely to push for remarks and the like.

As compared to government schools, who really have no incentive beyond being nice to give a dam.
Reply 39
Original post by Akbar2k7
Its so retarded if people gain marks from remarks then what about those who cant afford a remark what about there grade? Its like stupid. You should get the right mark first time, no need for remarks especially with maths/science.

Sorry but remarks help a lot in the sciences. My physics GCSE (AQA) was 88% when I got it. Not to sound arrogant but I kind of thought I had got an A* so I requested a remark.

I then went up to 100%. According to the exam board, "They may have missed a page." while marking my results the first time.

So until the system improves Maths/Sciences need remarks just like other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending