The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Firmers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
just thinking about other choices and does anyone know how many people share a kitchen in the Furness and Grizdale superior ensuite accommodation? thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by sophie99
just thinking about other choices and does anyone know how many people share a kitchen in the Furness and Grizdale superior ensuite accommodation? thanks :smile:

8 in a flat - for Furness at least.
Original post by rachaelizabeth
You've got to understand people's frustration though, as we've all been told for months that we can apply and then all of a sudden we've found out we can't. I know there are similar rooms, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that's not the point - they messed up a bit and now they've got angry freshers to deal with! :')

if this the case then why was it not mentioned to us freshers? and why were some people allowed to apply, if what your saying is true is shouldn't have even been offered to some freshers?! and all the fuss is because the county offered 'superior standard' which was a lot nicer that any other colleges 'upgraded standard'

As I said in my post, I am a Furnessian. I lived in Furness standard for three years - before the upgrade. There was nothing wrong with the place then, and there certainly isn't now. :smile:

I can understand the frustration. Of course I can. But, you have to understand how complex the situation is. The university has thousands of students. Many of which have specific requirements eg. those returning from years abroad [they are usually given priority among continuers for rooms on campus], people with special requirements [medical or otherwise] etc. It is a difficult thing to manage.

The university does not promise to let people have their choice of the full range of possible accommodation. It simply states that they will find a room for freshers who firm their place. College preferences have always been second to accommodation type, and the upgraded standard is of a very similar standard to the superior standard [and most of it is actually newer] - so they are essentially in the same group anyway. :rolleyes:

I don't know the details of what has happened this year. All I can assume is that they were surprised by the number of applicants for the superior standard and figured they would stop even more people from applying, as it would only lead to many people not getting their first choice. Or, perhaps it was never meant to be an option and there was a technical/admin mix up - especially as people seemed to have been applying for accommodation well before the emails were sent out to incoming-freshers. :smile:

It will all be fine in the end!
Reply 183
So I've got an ABB offer to study Media and Cultural Studies at Lancaster, and I'm likely to get an A* in Media and an A in English, but German is really letting me down and I think I'm going to end up with a C. So that works out at A*AC... how will Lancaster consider that? Will it just end up as an automatic rejection or will I still get a place?
Advice would be really great as I'm totally stressed about this!! Thanks in advance :smile:
Best people to ask are the admissions tutors of lancaster. Because they can give you the most accurate information :yep:
I made a post about this in the Accomadation thread, but it seems important enough to warrant it's own-

I've just had an email stating that I shouldn't have been able to apply for a Superior Standard in County, this was a mistake on the application form as "Unfortunately this room type isn't available for first year students". Has anyone else had this? They want me to pick something else as my second choice (Furness Upgraded Standard is still my first choice).

I'm finding it hard to believe that they wouldn't allow access to what has to be one of the most popular room types in the largest college to first years, probably the largest student contingent on campus.
This has been discussed many times already.

I am incredibly surprised by the popularity of this type of accommodation this year. It has not been the case in previous years at all. In fact, townhouses have been the most popular option since they were built some 4+ years ago.

And, as has already been stated, returners apply for accommodation in Dec/Jan. They usually confirm and pay the deposit by easter. Long before most freshers are sure of where to go. The university promise firmers a room. They do not promise that firmers can have their pick and choice of all the rooms/colleges available. It just doesn't work that way - there are too many factors involved.

You have a very good first choice anyway. As a Furnessian, who lived in the standard rooms for three years before they were upgraded, I know that it is a great spot to be in. So close to everything - literally 5 minutes walk max from anywhere on campus - with a great community atmosphere. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
Anyone going to do marketing and thinking of applying to Bowland??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 188
Has anyone else not received the email about accomodation?

I only firmed last week (I had an extended deadline), so maybe that is why I haven't got one yet?
Reply 189
Marketing and chose Superior Standard in Cartmel and Grizedale, much prefer Grizedale due to location to the management school though. Not sure what I was thinking when I selected Cartmel, doesn't appear to have the best feedback, anyone know why?
Original post by jordan645
Marketing and chose Superior Standard in Cartmel and Grizedale, much prefer Grizedale due to location to the management school though. Not sure what I was thinking when I selected Cartmel, doesn't appear to have the best feedback, anyone know why?

Superior standard in Cartmel? Cartmel is a 100% ensuite college, isn't it? :confused:
Reply 191
sorry yes, thats the room I meant. Just wondering why no one else has chosen Cartmel? Is it the distance? Hopefully I get put into Grizedale anyway
Original post by jordan645
sorry yes, thats the room I meant. Just wondering why no one else has chosen Cartmel? Is it the distance? Hopefully I get put into Grizedale anyway

Don't worry. Colleges tend to gain reputations but they often don't count once you get here. Cartmel is quite a large college and I had a lot of friends who lived there. Yes, you will have to set off for lectures say 5 minutes earlier than people might in Pendle etc but that isn't much of a problem. The bar is often quiet, but some people like that and you have access to all the bars on campus anyway - no one sticks only to their own college bar. :smile:
Reply 193
Lancaster is both my first and second choice so...if I don't go, I'm not going to uni. Is that 'firm' enough? Haha! :biggrin:
Original post by cpdavis
Best people to ask are the admissions tutors of lancaster. Because they can give you the most accurate information :yep:

This... because ultimately the decision is up to them and their decisions on whether A*AC=AAB can vary year by year, applicant by applicant.
Finally decided!
1st choice- Grizedale Superior Ensuite
2nd choice- Furness Superior Ensuite

Better send it off before I change my mind again

good choice :wink: i've heard it varies between 4 and 8 but i'm not entirely sure.
I filled in my choices for Lancaster uni accommodation 2 weeks ago, and they said i would get an email to pay deposit, but i've had nothing through, so i emailed them, and they said i would receive one shortly. How long have you guys had to wait?
Reply 198
Original post by Penny_Lane16
I filled in my choices for Lancaster uni accommodation 2 weeks ago, and they said i would get an email to pay deposit, but i've had nothing through, so i emailed them, and they said i would receive one shortly. How long have you guys had to wait?

You won't be offered your place until after the A-level results are out.
Just put my acommodation down :biggrin:

Furness upgraded standard

Bowland basic standard

I just hope I get in now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending