The Student Room Group

New IBian in Swedish School

As I mentioned in my earlier threads I come from Poland and in August I start education in Goteborg in the International School ( I have to go back 1 year cuz I'm 8teen ). I introduce in that way cuz maybe there are couple of students just from Goteborg. But now I would like to ask u for advice. I don't want to prepare for it now, but maybe u know some the most relevant dos and dont's that u would like to share. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
What subjects are you taking? Would be easier for us to give advice then.

I did the IB in Stockholm (finished this year), and I'm half-Polish (but born in Sweden), perhaps I could help you with any specific questions? (I understand my situation is a lot different from yours, but still, just putting it out there) :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Wow, that's great! I am taking
Maths HL
English B HL
Business & Management HL

Physics SL
Swedish A1 SL
Spanish ab inito SL

I've thought about Economics. That would be great..

I found the School in Stockholm much more better than others. Why? Since there is very professional website. My future school also has pretty good, but .. u know.. But never mind.. do u know sth about International school in Goteborg? Is this a good one?
Reply 3
Original post by horbas
Wow, that's great! I am taking
Maths HL
English B HL
Business & Management HL

Physics SL
Swedish A1 SL
Spanish ab inito SL

I've thought about Economics. That would be great..

I found the School in Stockholm much more better than others. Why? Since there is very professional website. My future school also has pretty good, but .. u know.. But never mind.. do u know sth about International school in Goteborg? Is this a good one?

Cool! I didn't take maths HL myself, but I know it's quite tough; a lot of people in my grade started doing it, but then dropped down to SL or even Studies. Be prepared for a challenge; the exam is made to challenge you, and you really have to apply your knowledge to unfamiliar situations (or so I'm told). Perhaps that scares you, or maybe you enjoy a challenge :smile: Students taking maths HL definitely spent most of their time studying for it, though, so if you're not already very good at maths I wouldn't recommend it since your other subjects could suffer.

I don't know about business and management; it seems like it's just watered down economics (which I took) at this level. Economics isn't too hard really; you just have to understand it, and then graphs begin to make sense as well. I think universities look more highly upon economics than business and management since its a more traditional subject etc etc; I'd recommend you take it.

Are you sure your Swedish is good enough to take it at A1? Could be tough, since that's meant to be your mother tongue. I had one person in a similar situation to you, from Poland, at my school; she managed to arrange with the school to get a Polish teacher and do Polish A1. Don't know if your school could do that, though. (I took English A1 (which corresponds to lit in the new system) and Swedish A2 (A1 lang lit in the new system) myself, but I've been learning those two languages since I was very young).

I think Physics is tougher than Biology if you're not into science; but perhaps you are?

Have you studied Spanish before? If you have, even briefly, ab initio should be cake.

Sorry, I don't know much about your school. It seems alright though; and after all, the program is the same wherever you are. Even if your teachers aren't great, you can always find the syllabus and tons of online resources and study yourself :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Saelie
Cool! I didn't take maths HL myself, but I know it's quite tough; a lot of people in my grade started doing it, but then dropped down to SL or even Studies. Be prepared for a challenge; the exam is made to challenge you, and you really have to apply your knowledge to unfamiliar situations (or so I'm told). Perhaps that scares you, or maybe you enjoy a challenge :smile: Students taking maths HL definitely spent most of their time studying for it, though, so if you're not already very good at maths I wouldn't recommend it since your other subjects could suffer.

I don't know about business and management; it seems like it's just watered down economics (which I took) at this level. Economics isn't too hard really; you just have to understand it, and then graphs begin to make sense as well. I think universities look more highly upon economics than business and management since its a more traditional subject etc etc; I'd recommend you take it.

Are you sure your Swedish is good enough to take it at A1? Could be tough, since that's meant to be your mother tongue. I had one person in a similar situation to you, from Poland, at my school; she managed to arrange with the school to get a Polish teacher and do Polish A1. Don't know if your school could do that, though. (I took English A1 (which corresponds to lit in the new system) and Swedish A2 (A1 lang lit in the new system) myself, but I've been learning those two languages since I was very young).

I think Physics is tougher than Biology if you're not into science; but perhaps you are?

Have you studied Spanish before? If you have, even briefly, ab initio should be cake.

Sorry, I don't know much about your school. It seems alright though; and after all, the program is the same wherever you are. Even if your teachers aren't great, you can always find the syllabus and tons of online resources and study yourself :smile:

In Poland I attended to mat-phys profile. I have Maths HL and Physics SL. However, maths in IB is more extended and many issues were excluded from the polish programme.

Isn't too late to change my subjects? I made my choice approx 3 months ago. if not it would be great to choose polish teacher. I have never learnt Swedish apart from listening when my parents study it.
Reply 5
Original post by horbas
In Poland I attended to mat-phys profile. I have Maths HL and Physics SL. However, maths in IB is more extended and many issues were excluded from the polish programme.

Isn't too late to change my subjects? I made my choice approx 3 months ago. if not it would be great to choose polish teacher. I have never learnt Swedish apart from listening when my parents study it.

I'm not sure about your school, but at my school we were allowed to change until about a month or so had passed of the IB.
Reply 6
Absolutely take Polish A1 (SL :biggrin:)! As to Group 1, u can do self-taught at SL level.
Cause the A1 is just like your Polish classes u had in Poland, it's quite taugh. I mean, for me Polish SL is the most difficult subject, but that's personal preference I guess :P.
Or if it isn't be possible (however, i think that your school MUST make it possible for you, as for sure your Swedish is not advanced enough) or you just don't feel like working on your own than you could also try English for your A1. But only if you feel confident about your language, vocabulary etc. A1 is not about how you know the language, the meaning of word or sth as it is for B languages, it's just your tool to analyse litterature - so to study English A1 I think you should be comfortable with reading books and articles in English, writing good essays with more sophisticated vocabulary than 'good', 'nice', 'i like it' :smile:.

But I envy you so much :P. I love Sweden, like if sb would tell me I have to move there I could catch a plane the next day :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending