The Student Room Group

"My Dinner doesn't look anything LIKE that!" Thread - Ad Pics vs Reality!

So you've looked at the menu. You've ogled the picture on the box. What you're about to consume looks freaking awesome. The picture you're looking at has a pristine article of food or drink glory, positioned in a way that makes it look irresistible.

Then, YOURS is served. What the hell. WHAT THE HELL. Mine doesn't look anything LIKE that!

We've all experienced this, but I'd like you to post your absolute favourites - food and drink that look absolutely NOTHING like advertised. Be it your favourite fast food, to something in a restaurant or cafe, or something out of a tin, all examples are welcome!

So let me start us off with:

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Lasagne

This is what the box shows me. Mmm.

And this is the picture from the website. Even better. Look at those perfect layers and the just-bubbling cheese. Yumzers.

Now, let me just get mine out of... what the hell.

Scroll to see replies

Don't have any pics, but I'm always disappointed at the size of burgers from McDonalds, Burger King etc, the pictures make them look huge, then they are barely the size of my fist :'(
Reply 2
Subway Turkey sub, all veggies:

Man, does the one on the menu look effin' A! I'm going to SLAUGHTER that bad boy!

Wait, what? Did someone already EAT mine before serving me it?

Reply 4

(Sorry it's a small pic). See how full the plate looks? But if you look closely you can see there are hardly any carrots and peas, only a few potatoes etc. They must have put it on a saucer to make the plate look so full! It's certainly not a normal sized dinner plate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5

Awesome article you posted!

Waitrose Sausage and Chorizo Jambalaya
:

Looks amazing. Just incredible. Full, chunky sausages, rich, deep, dark tomatoes allllmost crispy chorizo...

But the reality? Erm... like one and a bit sausage... I THINK there's ingredients in here somewhere. But I can't tell, because the rice has formed a singular entity of stodge. Anyone want a slice of Jambalaya?

Reply 6
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Don't have any pics, but I'm always disappointed at the size of burgers from McDonalds, Burger King etc, the pictures make them look huge, then they are barely the size of my fist :'(

oh how i understand you :ashamed2:
I just fell down the stairs
Reply 8
Looool I love you man. You're food threads are jokes. On the other hand they have food on the pictures which look delicious, the colour and the setting is irresistble. And then you make the mistake of putting it in your mouth; bland as white matte paint on the walls.
Reply 10
Original post by carbondummy
Looool I love you man. You're food threads are jokes. On the other hand they have food on the pictures which look delicious, the colour and the setting is irresistble. And then you make the mistake of putting it in your mouth; bland as white matte paint on the walls.

Peace and Love, brother!! Haha!

But thanks a lot for the compliment, and you're welcome/I'm sorry for the ensuing drama that seemed to occur for you...
Reply 11
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Oh look, a stating the obvious thread.

Paying 99p for a burger isn't going to get you a gourmet delight. Whatever next?

Oh look, a lurker diving into a thread who is apparently not interested in the contents of said thread but had enough time to moan about it.
To be honest this thread is just making me hungry.
Reply 13
Ready meals always do that, the deceptive buggers :wink:

You have the same cutlery as me, OP :biggrin:

One thing that really bothers my in the mcdonalds chicken mayo - the picture makes it look like it's just a smaller mcchicken sandwich with a plain bun, but when you actually get it the chicken burger has these weird breadcrumbs all over them instead of the usual batter (or whatever) the mcchicken s/wich does, and that just ruins it :frown:

vs

Think I'll just get a hamburger next time :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Despite one normal slice of that bad boy having a quarter of my day's calories, and despite being totally freaking RIDICULICIOUS, I have to say, Pizza Hut's Cheesy Bites look nothing like how they do in all the adverts/pictures.

Reply 16
Is anyone else getting hungry ? :awesome:
I want to see more of these pictures.... they amuse me greatly!
Reply 18
Original post by TotoMimo
Despite one normal slice of that bad boy having a quarter of my day's calories, and despite being totally freaking RIDICULICIOUS, I have to say, Pizza Hut's Cheesy Bites look nothing like how they do in all the adverts/pictures.

The cheesy bites at my Pizza hut look the same.
Reply 19
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Sorry, but to be surprised that a dirt-cheap, machine processed and frozen meal isn't actually as good as the picture implied it would be makes you either incredibly naive or very easily entertained.

Someone needs to lighten up...

Quick Reply

Latest