The Student Room Group

How to deal with TV licensing people at your door?

I just had someone from TV licensing knock on my door. I wouldn't have answered it if I'd known it was them to be honest. I refuse to deal with them out of principle; whilst their threatening letters are amusing, I find it despicable that they treat people as guilty until proving innocent and try and threaten and confuse people into buying a TV license they may not need.

I always reckoned I'd just tell them to go away, but he didn't reveal he was from TV licensing until after he'd asked me if I lived there (which is a weird thing to ask someone who's just answered the door, isn't it?) and it caught me off guard and I just stood there awkwardly saying I didn't want him to come in, while he kept acting as if it was quite reasonable to want to walk around my home to make sure I don't have a TV. He was starting to make me feel a bit silly for not wanting him to come in. :redface:

Anyone else had visits from TV licensing? What did you say/do to get them to leave?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a TV so I pay my TV license.

When I was a student and didn't have a TV I'd politely tell them I don't have a TV, wish them a nice day and close the door.
Reply 2
Finally someone who sees sense. The TV License is nothing more than a big con. I would be inclined to pay it if it went to the running of all channels (rather than just the BBC) but it doesn't.

In regards to your incident with them, perhaps next time when they ask if you live there kindly ask them who they are representing. If they then say TV Licensing, shut the door in their face. If they then knock again, answer the door and say pointedly, "No thank you." If they still won't leave after that then tell them firmly that you will not be harassed in your own home and if they continue then you will call the police.

They have no right to look around your home (or even into it through a ground floor window), no matter what rubbish they tell you. They do not have a warrant and they are not the law. They are a private organisation making money out of harassing people and convincing them they're criminals.

To be honest, I'm surprised they're still around as if any other company did that then they'd be shut down straight away.
Reply 3
I just let them in and gave them the information they wanted, they cautioned me and said there is a possibility I could get prosecuted etc etc I explained that I didnt have enough money due to recent hardships (I owed over 18 months) and he went on his way and a week later Recieved a letter from them stating I wouldn't get prosecuted as long as it doesnt happen again. IMO just let them in and be reasonable and fair to them as they are just doing their job, I'm sure the decision of prosecution comes down to the info they write down, so if your funny with them or obstruct them I reckon it goes against you in the long run. I'm paying £5 a week now to catch up and be fully up to date.

But each to their own I suppose

Dave :smile:
A quick swift poke with the cattle prod I keep by the door usually works. :smile:
Reply 5
Surely they have to say who they are as soon as you answer the door, like flash their ID badge and be like 'I'm blah blah from TV licesning do you live here?' They don't have any right to come into the house either without a warrant thing and since they are not the police they most likely won't and never will have a warrant anyway. If they come back just say you have trust issues with strangers and shut the door on them :P
Has anyone ever had any experience of a TV licensing goon come knocking on their student accomodation on university campus?
Does this ever happen and is it possible for them to enforce fines upon any students in halls who have a TV but not paying for a licence?
Reply 7
Just tell them that Sky has their money and to go after them for it instead. :u:
Reply 8
"Do you live here?"
"No, I'm just here to steal the tv" :u:
Reply 9
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
Has anyone ever had any experience of a TV licensing goon come knocking on their student accomodation on university campus?
Does this ever happen and is it possible for them to enforce fines upon any students in halls who have a TV but not paying for a licence?

We used to get threatening letters all the time, even though most of us didn't have TVs, but our porters refused to let any inspectors actually go and visit any rooms. This may vary at other unis though, and if you were caught watching TV without a licence you could be prosecuted.
"Get the **** off my property."
My mum used to tell us to mute the TV, shut up and duck behind the sofa till we were sure they were gone...
Reply 12
I always answer the phone with

"hello, what do you want"

if the person can't offer a reasonable explanation I hang up. I once said "what do you want" to a guy 3 times and was just about to hang up when he says "bye bye" and hangs up himself.

Don't be a sucker. Just tell them to get lost. If you can hang up on a phone you can slam shut the door.

ps if they do see you have a TV, just say you use it for PS3/Xbox/pc screen and dont actually watch it.
Reply 13
Original post by heidigirl
I just had someone from TV licensing knock on my door. I wouldn't have answered it if I'd known it was them to be honest. I refuse to deal with them out of principle; whilst their threatening letters are amusing, I find it despicable that they treat people as guilty until proving innocent and try and threaten and confuse people into buying a TV license they may not need.

I always reckoned I'd just tell them to go away, but he didn't reveal he was from TV licensing until after he'd asked me if I lived there (which is a weird thing to ask someone who's just answered the door, isn't it?) and it caught me off guard and I just stood there awkwardly saying I didn't want him to come in, while he kept acting as if it was quite reasonable to want to walk around my home to make sure I don't have a TV. He was starting to make me feel a bit silly for not wanting him to come in. :redface:

Anyone else had visits from TV licensing? What did you say/do to get them to leave?

I let them in and they had a look round and I explained where I lived had no reception and I just had a tv for playstation. They checked the set and went. All very easy and pleasant but there are also examples of jobsworth types who can be quite bullying. I think in the end though they may have power to enter the home anyway if they really want.

:smile:
Reply 14
Never been visited by one, but I've heard that apparently it's perfectly legal to refuse to let them have a look in your house. What would they be able to do then?
Reply 15
People seem to be forgetting that the LAW requires you to have a tv licence if you have a tv! You can't pick and choose the laws you wish to obey, however unpopular that law may be.
Reply 16
Original post by OneFifty
People seem to be forgetting that the LAW requires you to have a tv licence if you have a tv! You can't pick and choose the laws you wish to obey, however unpopular that law may be.

This is your first post?

I assume you made this account because you figured you would get negged for this comment.

Bit spineless to be honest.
Reply 17
I have reasons for creating a new account, not of which is a desire to hide. Neg away, watch me care...

Doesn't change the fact It's a matter of the law...
Reply 18
Original post by OneFifty

The Law is very imprecise here. You can have a tv and not pay a tv licence. You need only pay for a licence if you receive live transmissions through your tv set. You can have a tv and use if for games, they can't do you for that. They can try. But they have to catch you watching live tv, and use it as evidence. Providing that they don't find your aerial plugged-in, having a tv in your room would not constitute evidence.

To stop them calling at your door, you simply issue them a notice stating that you want remove all rights of access, and that each and every letter they send you through the post, you will charge them £100 to read. The removal of right of access should do it though. They will send you a letter confirming the right of access and they will not even darken your door for the 12 months. They will tell you that they will still use their vans with their tech in. Well, that technology has never been used in a court of law. In fact, the technology probably doesn't exist. If it does all it can do is detect the receiver signal, but the signal could be from anything in your house, including your computer and laptop. That's why no-one has been prosecuted for not having a tv licence through using this supposed tech that they hold in their mysterious vans.

Personally, I think it doesn't exist. I'm quite sure that it is a scare tactic developed from the 1950s.
(edited 11 years ago)
You're not obliged to let them in or answer any of their questions. Normally they should go away straight away after you've said that.

Latest

Trending

Trending