The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

None basically - any email sent to either ends up in @live.warwick.ac.uk. The @warwick.ac.uk is just an easier email to give out - any email you sent from either account should appear as @warwick.ac.uk.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Regarding having visitors, I'm currently in a long term relationship so am hoping to still be able to see my boyfriend (in full time work, no longer a student) every 3-4 weeks whilst at Warwick. Obviously some of those visits will mean me going back home, but he's hoping to come and visit me in week 2 or 3 and will probably stay overnight. Are hall wardens generally quite relaxed about this kind of thing? How do I go about asking for permission? Is there a maximum number of nights that visitors are allowed to stay? (i.e. if he wanted to stay a 2nd night or missed a train, would it be okay?)

Thank you :smile:
Reply 2042
Original post by Mouse Potato
Regarding having visitors, I'm currently in a long term relationship so am hoping to still be able to see my boyfriend (in full time work, no longer a student) every 3-4 weeks whilst at Warwick. Obviously some of those visits will mean me going back home, but he's hoping to come and visit me in week 2 or 3 and will probably stay overnight. Are hall wardens generally quite relaxed about this kind of thing? How do I go about asking for permission? Is there a maximum number of nights that visitors are allowed to stay? (i.e. if he wanted to stay a 2nd night or missed a train, would it be okay?)

From my experience hall wardens don't care, and you don't really need to let them know (although you may want to the first time they stay over). They vary though, so perhaps wait until you've met your warden during freshers.
Reply 2043

My girlfriend came over quite a few weekends and i told the warden the first time and after that she said I didn't really need to tell her :smile:
Original post by TheTallOne
None basically - any email sent to either ends up in @live.warwick.ac.uk. The @warwick.ac.uk is just an easier email to give out - any email you sent from either account should appear as @warwick.ac.uk.

Thanks for being so helpful. Do you ever take a break from these forums?
I'm really looking forward to lectures and seminars and even getting work set but I have no idea how much time all this will take. I done an access to HE last year and that was quite full on and all my tutors were saying that the first year in uni will be easy in comparison. Is this true?

Some people actually say weeks - no one cares to be honest. The most likely person to realise would be a cleaner, who are pretty chilled anyways.
Original post by public sociopath
Thanks for being so helpful. Do you ever take a break from these forums?

I check it like Facebook. :p:

FYI there's an Ask Absolutely Anything thread that I'm going to merge all your posts into :yy:
Original post by public sociopath
I'm really looking forward to lectures and seminars and even getting work set but I have no idea how much time all this will take. I done an access to HE last year and that was quite full on and all my tutors were saying that the first year in uni will be easy in comparison. Is this true?

Check screenager2004's Week in the Life of review of her first year :h:
Reply 2049
Original post by TheTallOne
I check it like more than Facebook. :p:

:ninja:
Original post by ttoby

Have you ever had outsiders/friends from other uni came to stay with you overnight at Westwood???

How flexible is this staying over thing in Westwood..??

My mom is planning to stay over with me on first 2-3 nights:tongue:
Reply 2051
Original post by cazzy-joe
Have you ever had outsiders/friends from other uni came to stay with you overnight at Westwood???

How flexible is this staying over thing in Westwood..??

My mom is planning to stay over with me on first 2-3 nights:tongue:

Strictly speaking, you're supposed to tell your resident tutor. In practise though, many people don't bother doing this and they just have the person staying over anyway. They usually don't mind.

Having said that, I did at one time tell my resident tutor that I was having my brother over for about a week during the summer term, and she said he couldn't come because it would interfere with people's revision etc. I managed to persuade her to reconsider but, bear that in mind.

As for your mum, I would strongly recommend that you don't have her over for the first few nights. The main reason for this is that going to university is all about being away from your parents. You should be using this time to get to know the other people on your floor and having your mum in the way could make this harder.
Reply 2052
I have bought a platinum card - hopefully I'll break even..

but anyway, how do I book for SU events? I can't find a platinum card button anywhere, or do I have to wait until I receive the card?
Reply 2053
Original post by SHF

but anyway, how do I book for SU events? I can't find a platinum card button anywhere, or do I have to wait until I receive the card?

Half the fun is trying !

Think Platinum card automatically puts you down for everything in freshers, for freshers they assume everyone with platinum or freshers passport will attend everything so you might not even need to register!

You only register for events later in the year where they aren't so sure Platinum card holders are going to attend but need to know to reserve venue space as the event might sell out..

Remember the Platinum card only gets you in guarenteed before 11, after that you must queue and may not get in (although entry is still free if there is space!)
Original post by SHF

Yeah you won't need to register for most events, except possibly a few gigs and the Summer Party.

But to be sure always check the union event page - sometimes they have a special 'Platinum Pass' ticket at £0 which you need to buy.
I've got my personal timetable on my.warwick now.

are these all the lectures I will have? excluding my 1 optional module that i need to choose

on some days there are 2 lectures for the same module - do i need to attend both or do we get split?

and also when do we find out when seminars are? thanks#

EDIT: I've just read it properly, it has the week numbers underneath, so i attend everything on my personal timetable in those given weeks?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2056
Original post by economics123
I've got my personal timetable on my.warwick now.

are these all the lectures I will have? excluding my 1 optional module that i need to choose

on some days there are 2 lectures for the same module - do i need to attend both or do we get split?

and also when do we find out when seminars are? thanks#

EDIT: I've just read it properly, it has the week numbers underneath, so i attend everything on my personal timetable in those given weeks?

Yep :yes: at the bottom are the weeks and the lecture theatre. You may have the seminars as well and those could be the repeats. The timetable on my.warwick is really disorganised unlike the one we get on my.wbs :biggrin:
Original post by kuks
Yep :yes: at the bottom are the weeks and the lecture theatre. You may have the seminars as well and those could be the repeats. The timetable on my.warwick is really disorganised unlike the one we get on my.wbs :biggrin:

ok thanks - its a little confusing yeh!

mine only has lectures on at the moment, do you know when we will find out about seminars - before we arrive or when we get there?
Original post by SHF

The only thing you will have to register for this year is the summer party, so dont worry about it for a few months...!
Reply 2059
I wanted to pay my fees online but the accommodation fee was not listed?

Quick Reply

Latest