The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Lyceum
I know the feeling. I need to work more efficiently. I took two hours off today to go to a seminar on Roman Religion. I probably shouldn't have but I need to do something...properly intelligent rather than archaeology bull****.

Ooh, do tell!
Original post by Feefifofum
Ooh, do tell!

Was full of gods. Like a whole pantheon.
Ooh, do tell!

Ah I figure you might like it, but it was pretty basic stuff actually. It was a discussion of haruspicy and in particular the phrase "usque at litatio": whether the Roman sacrificers truly could just sacrifice again and again until they got the omens they wanted or whether there's textual problems etc.

It was...well I suppose it was rather interesting since the speaker elected to rightfully remove the confusing schematisation previous scholars have imposed upon these passages (trying to discern whether something is "indigenous Roman" or "Etruscan import" etc) and took everything in its own context.

I left entertained, reflective and generally glad I stick with the Greek stuff though.
Original post by The Lyceum
Ah I figure you might like it, but it was pretty basic stuff actually. It was a discussion of haruspicy and in particular the phrase "usque at litatio": whether the Roman sacrificers truly could just sacrifice again and again until they got the omens they wanted or whether there's textual problems etc.

It was...well I suppose it was rather interesting since the speaker elected to rightfully remove the confusing schematisation previous scholars have imposed upon these passages (trying to discern whether something is "indigenous Roman" or "Etruscan import" etc) and took everything in its own context.

I left entertained, reflective and generally glad I stick with the Greek stuff though.

Sounds interesting actually! I've been working on a short article that deals with haruspicy (or actually with an incident of incorrect haruspicy, with dramatic catastrophic effect for the Romans :tongue:) and my supervisor's latest book is on divination, so it sounds right up my street!
Once again I am seething at my department’s inadequate and ineffectual plagiarism policy. One student had copied a paragraphed (a clean copy and paste job) from some website (that she hadn’t referenced or put in the bibliography at all). And the response is ‘well how much of the essay was that?’ ‘oh it’s only a paragaphy.’ SO?! It is plagiarism. It is blatant and intentional. FAIL HER OUTRIGHT! :rant:
Reply 1065
Original post by Cirsium
Once again I am seething at my department’s inadequate and ineffectual plagiarism policy. One student had copied a paragraphed (a clean copy and paste job) from some website (that she hadn’t referenced or put in the bibliography at all). And the response is ‘well how much of the essay was that?’ ‘oh it’s only a paragaphy.’ SO?! It is plagiarism. It is blatant and intentional. FAIL HER OUTRIGHT! :rant:

That's awful.:s-smilie: No wonder those students plagiarise without batting an eyelid if even the department doesn't really think it's wrong.
Sounds interesting actually! I've been working on a short article that deals with haruspicy (or actually with an incident of incorrect haruspicy, with dramatic catastrophic effect for the Romans :tongue:) and my supervisor's latest book is on divination, so it sounds right up my street!

Ah I think I know who your supervisor is then. :tongue:

It was (reasonably) interesting but as I said not really my sort of direction; I was actually sort of bemused at how different I would have taken the same topic, you know? I guess that's how Classics work. I would have gone down Walter Burkert's path and spent a lot of time discussing the similarities (possible derivation?) between the ancient near East and Etruria, lots of archaeology, bit of linguistics etc and then maybe got 5 mins in on the Romans at the end lol. So it was interesting to see how someone who actually knows all this Roman stuff would tackle it.
Reply 1067
I don't see how plagiarism in an undergraduate essay (ie. an essay which will never go anywhere anyway) is any worse than copying in an exam. Yet people get so worked up about it...
Original post by wes
I don't see how plagiarism in an undergraduate essay (ie. an essay which will never go anywhere anyway) is any worse than copying in an exam. Yet people get so worked up about it...

Well, copying in an exam would be pretty bad too, in that they would both be an attempt to fraudulently obtain a degree of the back of other people's work/ideas. Do you not think both are quite serious? :confused:
Original post by Cirsium

When I taught essay-writing to management students last year, I noticed that one student had been copy/pasting long extracts from online amazon reviews of the books he was writing about, from professional reviews (he would lurch from illiteracy to New Statesmanese) and EVEN from the blurbs on the backs of the books! Like I wouldn't notice a whole paragraph of marketing jargon poached from the cover of the book I am holding in my hand.

I had a go at him and told the convenors, who 'had a word' with him, but he didn't fail the module despite repeat offences. They wanted his sexy sexy non-EU student fees.
Reply 1070
Original post by Cirsium

So the message that gets through to the student is that this is OK to do. :unimpressed:
Reply 1071
Original post by wes

You can't be serious. Do you think either of these is OK?

Whatever happened to the notion of integrity?
Reply 1072
Original post by wes

Obviously they're both equally bad, but I'd say one of the reasons why people get worked up over plagiarism is the discrepancy in the way they're being punishe. When someone gets caught copying in a university exam, he'll fail that exam - which makes perfect sense. Whereas when somebody is caught plagiarising in a piece of coursework, outright fails are much rarer, except in extreme cases. A lot of departments just seem to turn a blind eye.
Edit: Also, you could argue that copying in an exam is opportunism, whereas plagiarism is calculated deception.
(edited 12 years ago)
I know a few people were removed from my uni course due to plagiarism and even lying on the (legally standing) registers. Good riddance frankly. If only "having more than one popped collar and saying "yah" was also an offence...
At UCL everything we write for assessment is put through anti-plagiarism software (TurnItIn). Is this not standard practice?
Reply 1075
Original post by scarlet ibis
At UCL everything we write for assessment is put through anti-plagiarism software (TurnItIn). Is this not standard practice?

Nope!
Original post by scarlet ibis

We had to do it at the institution I was at for my PhD (it's a pile of **** as a piece of software though). It wasn't done at undergraduate nor at master's over the water.

Plagiarism and inaction is often a sign that your departmental colleagues would rather sell a testicle than sit on a plagiarism board at the end of an exam season. That and, as Alba suggests, kids are paying a lot of money for courses and if they shortchange themselves then so be it. The thing with plagiarism is that we all do it just not often consciously. For example a published article by my former supervisor can be pulled apart and almost everything shown to be pulled from an entirely separate source. It's not referenced as such but you can tell. It's not a lack of integrity to say that actually plagiarism doesn't matter when it comes to undergraduate work. If the kids aren't willing to learn then they will be found out if the exam system is rigorous enough. If it isn't, then they will be found out in other ways.
Reply 1077
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
We had to do it at the institution I was at for my PhD (it's a pile of **** as a piece of software though). It wasn't done at undergraduate nor at master's over the water.

Plagiarism and inaction is often a sign that your departmental colleagues would rather sell a testicle than sit on a plagiarism board at the end of an exam season. That and, as Alba suggests, kids are paying a lot of money for courses and if they shortchange themselves then so be it. The thing with plagiarism is that we all do it just not often consciously. For example a published article by my former supervisor can be pulled apart and almost everything shown to be pulled from an entirely separate source. It's not referenced as such but you can tell. It's not a lack of integrity to say that actually plagiarism doesn't matter when it comes to undergraduate work. If the kids aren't willing to learn then they will be found out if the exam system is rigorous enough. If it isn't, then they will be found out in other ways.

I don't agree as a matter of principle that it isn't anything to do with integrity. Maybe I'm over-analysing, but to me this teaches people that it's OK to cheat to get ahead with life; it's not just about writing essays.

It also remains fundamentally unfair to others on the course who do approach their work properly.
Original post by sj27
I don't agree as a matter of principle that it isn't anything to do with integrity. Maybe I'm over-analysing, but to me this teaches people that it's OK to cheat to get ahead with life; it's not just about writing essays.

It also remains fundamentally unfair to others on the course who do approach their work properly.

Well the person marking the stuff will knock them down and if they aren't good enough to do the work then their exams will be shoddy. Wasting a lot of effort on going through the motions on plagiarism is precisely that. Those who do their work properly and effectively will benefit in their own way and will get marks just as they deserve. Learning is, after all, an individual thing. I don't care if my classmates are cheating to get ahead, I know I've done the work and will get the marks I deserve.

Also ... people cheat to get ahead in life all the time, given we live in a capitalistic-materialistic society that seems actually to be part of the rules of the game.
Reply 1079
Well the person marking the stuff will knock them down and if they aren't good enough to do the work then their exams will be shoddy. Wasting a lot of effort on going through the motions on plagiarism is precisely that. Those who do their work properly and effectively will benefit in their own way and will get marks just as they deserve. Learning is, after all, an individual thing. I don't care if my classmates are cheating to get ahead, I know I've done the work and will get the marks I deserve.

YMMV. I got cheated out of a subject prize by someone who I know cheated in the exam. I'm sure it wouldn't've changed my life, but it still rankles.

Also ... people cheat to get ahead in life all the time, given we live in a capitalistic-materialistic society that seems actually to be part of the rules of the game.

And you're alright with all that then? If you can't beat 'em join 'em? :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending