So more flebility
Reply 281
Original post by kishenp
any answers to these questions ?
and is your teacher quite confident?
Thank you very much :smile:

Original post by JJMills
Some questions my teachers gave me that she thought might come up:

1. What key properties does polythene have that makes it suitable for bottles, electrical insulation and hip and bone replacements?
2. Why did Gibson and Fawcett attempt to make their benzenecarbaldehyde under such high pressures?
3. Why did the pressure reduce in the reaction vessel despite their not being a leak?
4. Draw an energy level diagram for the decomposition of ethene to carbon.
5. What is a free radical?
6. What type of bong breakage (fission) occurs in the organic peroxide during the initiation step of the mechanism?
7. What does the ‘curly arrow’ represent in the diagram at the bottom of page 3?
8. What type of reaction:
[INDENT]a. Increases the chain length of the polymer by one ethene unit?
b. Stops the growth of the chain?[/INDENT]
9. Why can polythene be described as a thermoplastic use evidence from the description of its use on page 4.
10. What is a catalyst and how does it allow lower pressures and temperatures to be used?
11. Describe the mechanism by which these modern catalysts probably work.
12. What is the principle intermolecular bond between polythene chains?
13. Describe how these bonds come about?
14. Why does branching produce a lower density polymer?
15. How will the branching affect the melting point of the polymer?
16. What environmental issues are there related to the disposal of plastic waste?

Original post by JJMills
1. Polythene is water resistant, flexible and unreactive. It also doesn't decompose easily, is a good insulator and is a thermoplastic so it can be easily moulded into different shapes.
2. They wanted to shift the equilibrium of the reaction to the right and increase the yield of the ketone that was produced when ethene and benzaldehyde reacted.
3. Ethene was being polymerised (not completely sure how this happens, I think it's to do with peroxide initiating the reaction).
4. Draw the relevant diagram.
5. A free radical is an atom, molecule or ion with unpaired electrons.
6. Homolytic fission.
7. One electron going to the Ethane and one electron going to the free radical.
8. a) Propagation.
8. b) Termination.
9. Not too sure what the answer to this is, will update if someone has a good answer.
10. A catalyst lowers the activation enthalpy for a reaction to take place. It provides an 'alternate route' for the reaction. Without a catalyst the colliding particles require a higher amount of energy for the reaction to occur so increasing the temperature gives the particles more of a chance of having the required energy. With a catalyst the energy they require is less thus a lower temperature can be used. A lower pressure can be used because a catalyst naturally increases the speed of the reaction so you do not need to try and speed it up further.
11. The catalyst adsorbs the molecule, breaks its bonds, makes new ones and then releases it. (requires a bit more detail)
12. Instantaneous Dipole - Induced Dipole
13. At a certain moment in time the electrons may be closer to one of the nucleus which will change the polarity of the molecule and instantaneously create a dipole. This dipole will repel or attract the electrons in nearby molecules creating induced dipoles. (probably requires some editing).
14. Density is is the amount of mass per unit volume. If a polymer has branching it will be harder for chains of them to 'neatly slot' together meaning that there is less mass per unit volume so it is a lower density polymer.
15. Due to the polymer being less tightly packed the intermolecular bonds are fewer so less energy is required to separate the chains.
16. Plastics can degrade very slowly or not decompose at all. This means that they take up places in landfill sites and will remain there indefinitely.

Undoubtedly I've made mistakes or not given the perfect answers to these questions so if anyone has any better answers I'll update these with them.

My teacher reckons a good 50-75% of the questions will be based around those, might not be though.
Reply 282
Original post by JJMills
My teacher reckons a good 50-75% of the questions will be based around those, might not be though.

Amazing help, thank you soo much !!
Helps alot !! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Also do u have the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme ?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/79256965?secret_password=lh4oog7hqi4oynpdlvy
Got the paper ^
But not the mark scheme
Thanks again!! :smile:
Reply 283
Original post by kishenp
Amazing help, thank you soo much !!
Helps alot !! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Also do u have the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme ?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/79256965?secret_password=lh4oog7hqi4oynpdlvy
Got the paper ^
But not the mark scheme
Thanks again!! :smile:

Found it on TSR the other day, can't remember who uploaded it but:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=149379&d=1337442261
Didn't know where to post this, but I made this PowerPoint for the Exam tomorrow and thought someone else might find it helpful too. It covers almost everything on the Atmosphere side of the course.
Reply 285
hey guys
you know for the pre release question in may 2011 for drawing polybutadiene, how come there is a double bond ?
For the IR spectrum I am a bit confused about when to use the words peak/trough and absorption.

I know that the OH bond is described as a 'broad absorption' but what about the others? surely they are absorptions too but the mark schemes say peaks? and the fingerprint region is described as a complex region of 'peaks' .

I dont get it! :frown:
Original post by ap1111
hey guys
you know for the pre release question in may 2011 for drawing polybutadiene, how come there is a double bond ?

diene means the monomer has two double bounds.
Addition polymerisation is only oping up one double bond
Reply 288
I just did a paper where it asked for the aqueous reagant used, and the colour change you would see, so what section of work is this under so I can revise it? If possible could you also write down all the reagents we could be asked in case I have lost my notes on it :smile:

Thanks
Reply 289
Just made this to help me remember the different colour things if anyone is interested.
Wasn't too sure about Bromine and two books disagreed slightly, but i went for the OCR endorsed one... Let me know if its wrong.
Reply 290
Original post by totw
I just did a paper where it asked for the aqueous reagant used, and the colour change you would see, so what section of work is this under so I can revise it? If possible could you also write down all the reagents we could be asked in case I have lost my notes on it :smile:

Thanks

Look at my post above and a few pages back i uploaded a pdf outlining all of the reagents. But here it is again.:smile:
Reply 291
Original post by chrisduck
Look at my post above and a few pages back i uploaded a pdf outlining all of the reagents. But here it is again.:smile:

This sheet is missing quite a few things and there are some incorrect details. I've been through every past paper and if you used this sheet you'd lose quite a few marks. For example, for the oxidation reactions in that table, you need (acidified) sulfuric acid as well as potassium dichromate. For alcohol to chloroalkane, the condition is high temp, not room temp. For primary alcohol to aldehyde, the condition is only distil, not heat and distil. I think everything else looks okay though, but I've never seen a question come up about the nitrile.
Reply 292

Thanks this is the sort of sheet i have been looking for on the internet :smile:

Do you have by any chance have any other useful sheets like this to do with the exam tomo???

Thanks again :smile:
I thought fluorine couldn't be electrolysed, but a book gave an equation for it :/ Can it or can't it?
Also can permanent - induced forces occur?
finally I thought CO2 molecules were non-polar and so permanent - permanent dipole forces couldn't form, but i read in a revision guide they could. Can someone explain this?
thanks
Reply 294
Original post by Zhy
This sheet is missing quite a few things and there are some incorrect details. I've been through every past paper and if you used this sheet you'd lose quite a few marks. For example, for the oxidation reactions in that table, you need (acidified) sulfuric acid as well as potassium dichromate. For alcohol to chloroalkane, the condition is high temp, not room temp. For primary alcohol to aldehyde, the condition is only distil, not heat and distil. I think everything else looks okay though, but I've never seen a question come up about the nitrile.

You do get the mark by just saying acidified. As it can be different acids.
You wouldn't lose a mark my saying heat and distill, as to distill you need to heat it... But I guess to be safe maybe don't say heat.
Never seen a question on nitrile, hints at remember that one imo :tongue:

I think your right about chloroalkane

What is it missing? (for AS)
Reply 296
Original post by JJMills
Found it on TSR the other day, can't remember who uploaded it but:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=149379&d=1337442261

Thanks soo much
Can u explain bond angles please
Like the amount of electron dense areas that give rise to a certain angle
i dont really get it
Thanks soo much
Original post by Zhy

You do get the mark by just saying acidified. As it can be different acids.
You wouldn't lose a mark my saying heat and distill, as to distill you need to heat it... But I guess to be safe maybe don't say heat.
Never seen a question on nitrile, hints at remember that one imo :tongue:

I think your right about chloroalkane

What is it missing? (for AS)

Where did you guys get the information about conditions/reagents for alcohol to chloroalkane. which book? I can't find it anywhere. In past papers I have seen that they write for example : chlorine and UV radiation . Or is this a different topic?
How would you answer:

Explain what the fingerprint region is, and how is it useful?

Nervous about this, chemical ideas barely has any atmosphere stuff which is my weakest unit, chemical storylines has too much description for my liking. I just want the Chemistry, not the stories surrounding it.
Reply 299
What do we have to know about amines???

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending