The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Best places to look for part-time work in Bristol?

Apart the usual going around and handing out CVs...

Are there any big employers who are particularly good in regards to hiring students part time? I'm starting a postgrad course in October, but I'll be arriving in Bristol early September. I believe I'm quite employable and have some strong professional experience (as well as being a psych grad with a 2:1, but that's nothing exceptional these days), so what would be the best places to look in particular? That being said, I'm not fussy... in fact, I'll take any kind of job that'll pay the bills! Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Try Cabot circus website or better IKEA, most of the time they have vacancies around September/October and they pay well (I use to get around £6/ph)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by The Cornerstone
Try Cabot circus website or better IKEA, most of the time they have vacancies around September/October and they pay well (I use to get around £6/ph)

Is it worth applying now for a potential job in 3 months?
Original post by xander93

Not really. The low level jobs that students tend to do tend to only come up when someone else leaves - and when they do so they will normally only give a week or so's notice. Hence, they won't recruit three months in advance because they don't know if they will need staff then or not. The only exception to this is when a new business / branch is opening.

Bristol has all the major chains, and many of them employ students. One way of starting to look for work now would be looking for a job in your local branch of a major chain, with a view to transferring to the Bristol branch come September.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not really. The low level jobs that students tend to do tend to only come up when someone else leaves - and when they do so they will normally only give a week or so's notice. Hence, they won't recruit three months in advance because they don't know if they will need staff then or not. The only exception to this is when a new business / branch is opening.

Bristol has all the major chains, and many of them employ students. One way of starting to look for work now would be looking for a job in your local branch of a major chain, with a view to transferring to the Bristol branch come September.

Okey doke, thanks for the advice.
Original post by xander93

I agree with Origami Bullets, most jobs for students (and most retails for that matter) will only be given a few weeks notice or a month. If you want a job in retail keep checking the cabot circus website and keep applying.
Reply 6
Try a posh pub in clifton, some pay really well! Try the union (won't be hiring till october though) Alternatively, the university careers service can help you find something, especially if you want it to fit around your studies. The office is between the gym and the library.
Reply 7
The university has an excellent careers site with hundreds of jobs, and you can filter them so if you are looking for a term time job quite a few come up
Reply 8
Original post by nickth
The university has an excellent careers site with hundreds of jobs, and you can filter them so if you are looking for a term time job quite a few come up

Thanks for the good tips!
Reply 9
For retail, Cabot Circus job site very good, as already mentioned. The Clifton bars and restaurants are also good bets. But I live in Bristol at the moment and I'm currently doing part time work for the large Debenhams store in Bristol which is in the main shopping area (Broadmead, adjacent to Cabot Circus). They always take on many Christmas Part time temporary staff so that is always an option :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending