Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by ssmoses
whats the question?

its a question involving a diagram, you have to see it
Reply 62
Original post by sechdent8

I have no idea what it wants in terms of proportion but I'm pretty sure it's 5/6 carbons from the two triose phosphates go to regenerate RuBP, and 1 C goes to make a hexose sugar- hence why the calvin cycle has to happen six times to make one glucose molecule. Or would it be 10/12 molecules made would go to regenerating RuBP (from six cycles) and that would cancel down anyway. I just dunno if it wants a ratio or fraction or what :P

I got most of this from the CGP book - the AQA book doesn't really go into much detail how the light independant reaction happens 6 times to make a hexose sugar and just has vague terms like "some triose phosphate molecules are converted..."

I really want to see the answers D:
Reply 63
Original post by sechdent8

Just found the answers to the unit 4 exam style questions :biggrin:

and yes the answer was 5 out of 6 (I've explained above :smile: ) or you could have had a percentage
Reply 64
Original post by neeloo
Ive posted links to the paper, mark scheme ect

Please could you send me the links to the Jan 13 paper and mark scheme?! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by hollywils
Please could you send me the links to the Jan 13 paper and mark scheme?! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42068880&postcount=20
Reply 67
Original post by Tikara
So is everyone here resitting then?

I guess so since AS people won't have learnt unit 4 yet.. presuming they're doing the units in order.
Reply 68
Hey guys!

im stuck on question 2B (calculate the maximum growth rate) on the January 2010 BIOL4 paper!

any help? :smile:

thank you!!
Reply 69
normally these threads are heaving with people and their questions/opinions/ideas! where is everyone?
Reply 70
Original post by s24a
normally these threads are heaving with people and their questions/opinions/ideas! where is everyone?

Did you firm Bham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by sals1234
Hey guys!

im stuck on question 2B (calculate the maximum growth rate) on the January 2010 BIOL4 paper!

any help? :smile:

thank you!!

Okay, just had a look at this one and it isn't too hard - I'm not really sure when this is taught in Biol4 though

but anyway, the growth rate is going to be the gradient in the line, which is change in y / change in x, or change in mass / change in age.

The maximum growth rate is therefore when the line is the steepest, when there is the greatest rise in mass in the shortest rise in age. Usually with questions like these there will be a two points at nice places just hitting on the grid exactly.

So I picked the points at 20 and 22.5 days on the dotted line as they're on the steepest part of the curve (you could pick two points at anywhere on this steepest line and get the same answer but I chose these cause they're easier) and the change in mass is 100 so 100/2.5 = 40mg/day

TL;DR points at 20 and 22.5 days --> 100/2.5 = 40 :smile:

hope that helped mate
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by s24a

then start!!! there must just be mainly resits unfortunately so not as much activity :frown:

but it's safe to say I no longer worry about the 6/5 markers at the end of biol4 now I know of the unholy 25 mark essay at the end of biol5 :tongue:

My main tips would be 1. look at the amount of marks given! It'll indicate how much the question wants and I ran out of time when I did the exam because I gave giant answers for 3 markers

and 2. read that darn question carefully!!! I know it seems obvious but the wording of every question is specific to get certain bits of information out of you!

also, how is every one gonna do the questions at the end? are you gonna do them first and then the exam or the other way round?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
can anyone help with question 2a on page 84? I thought it was sticklebacks but according to ms it's them and dragonfly nymphs. Is the book meant to ask for secondary consumers?
Reply 74
Original post by Tikara
can anyone help with question 2a on page 84? I thought it was sticklebacks but according to ms it's them and dragonfly nymphs. Is the book meant to ask for secondary consumers?

I think u r right, sticklebacks are the only tertiary consumers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Does anyone know where to get the markschemes for the nelson thornes book?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by Chewy29
Does anyone know where to get the markschemes for the nelson thornes book?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're all on this thread

the unit 4 exam answers: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42756888&postcount=64

and all the chapter exam answers here :smile: : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42733783&postcount=55
Reply 77
Original post by Tikara
They're all on this thread

the unit 4 exam answers: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42756888&postcount=64

and all the chapter exam answers here :smile: : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42733783&postcount=55

Thanks. Starting my revision for this unit today :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
I wondering whether you have to answer the 5-markers at the end in a certain order. For example, if the 5-marker is about speciation and so to explain and describe geographical isolation does it matter what order you make your 5 points in or does it have to be in the correct order for you to get the 5 marks.
Reply 79
Original post by Chewy29
Thanks. Starting my revision for this unit today :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck! feel free to ask any questions here :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending