The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrangeBanana
Question

Is Celtic pronounced "s-eltic" or "k-eltic"?

It's pronounced "who even gives a **** about Scottish football"
From personal experience, employing Brendan Rodgers will do nothing to endear them to the neutrals - but they'll play some good football, and you imagine their youngsters will develop. Hopefully Roberts sticks around there.
Original post by scotttb
Jokes on you we don't have a single player worth stealing!

Griffiths? The Scottish Suarez
Reply 104
You asked why Celtic fans are hated yet you proceeded to list all the reasons. Btw, I love Celtic :smile:
To be fair to them, not many clubs would have 10,000 fans at a manager's unveiling - especially if it was Rodgers.
Are you serious? No, you're not, you can't be, after writing such utter, utter, garbage

Celtc is the original sectarian club, from the outset, Roman Catholic in thought and deed. A support whose allegiance is to a foreign republic, one that supported the Nazis in WW2, when the docks of Glasgow where full of Irish fleeing the conflict for the safety of the Free State. A club whose identity is completely consumed by being an Irish club in Scotland. A club who fly the flag of terrorist IRA scum, which just also happens to be that of the country that that they profess to love. A support that week in, week out, sings its support of the murdering scum of IRA terrorists, and believes itself to be justified in doing so, with no murder so heinous that they will not glory in its outcome.

They are not a Scottish club, just an Irish one based in Glasgow, and who represent a malignant, hate filled ideology, that hates native Scots and all things Protestant and British.

Why would any patriotic British person have any time or allegiance for the very epitome of an enemy of our counttry? Wake up England as to what Celtc represents and how much they loathe and detest you, however much their friends in the media portray them otherwise.
Reply 107
Original post by Rangerista
Are you serious? No, you're not, you can't be, after writing such utter, utter, garbage

Celtc is the original sectarian club, from the outset, Roman Catholic in thought and deed. A support whose allegiance is to a foreign republic, one that supported the Nazis in WW2, when the docks of Glasgow where full of Irish fleeing the conflict for the safety of the Free State. A club whose identity is completely consumed by being an Irish club in Scotland. A club who fly the flag of terrorist IRA scum, which just also happens to be that of the country that that they profess to love. A support that week in, week out, sings its support of the murdering scum of IRA terrorists, and believes itself to be justified in doing so, with no murder so heinous that they will not glory in its outcome.

They are not a Scottish club, just an Irish one based in Glasgow, and who represent a malignant, hate filled ideology, that hates native Scots and all things Protestant and British.

Why would any patriotic British person have any time or allegiance for the very epitome of an enemy of our counttry? Wake up England as to what Celtc represents and how much they loathe and detest you, however much their friends in the media portray them otherwise.

Hahahahahahaha. What a load of rubbish. I see you're still sore after today's match. Know your place.

Admittedly, I find it a bit wierd how high your expectations are. For a club in it's first ever season in the SPL, losing 2-1 at home to the champions isn't that bad. Don't know why there's been such a big overreaction from all the raging zombies.

EDIT: In fact, I'm going to go through your comment and expose your lies.

Celtic FC have never been sectarian. Our greatest ever manager was a protestant. Sectarian is discrimination against a person or a group of people based on their religious sect. A bit like, you know, having a club policy prohibiting Catholic players from signing for the club or singing on a weekly basis about being up your knees in fenian blood.

Of course we have an Irish identity you idiot. We were formed by an Irish priest for impoverished Irish fleeing the famine in Glasgow. Celtic FC is inextricably linked to Ireland. We know our history and don't deny our roots, instead we embrace them. And Ireland was neutral during WWII. Certain groups may have supported fascist powers of their own accord, likewise certain groups fought against the fascists.

Yes, there are several songs sung by our support which glorify the IRA who fought in the Easter Rising and the Irish war of independence. The same IRA Queen Elizabeth layed a commemoration wreath for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
No, it wasn't.

I hate Celtic because they support IRA terrorism and because I'm a Rangers fan and that's what rivals do. They are also massive hypocrites.

You aren't the most successful Scottish team. Rangers have won more top division titles.

***** puh-lease come back when you've won a European Cup/got to the Europa League final
Original post by Mackay
From personal experience, employing Brendan Rodgers will do nothing to endear them to the neutrals - but they'll play some good football, and you imagine their youngsters will develop. Hopefully Roberts sticks around there.

Dembele = fire emoji
Original post by M67
Hahahahahahaha. What a load of rubbish. I see you're still sore after today's match. Know your place.

Admittedly, I find it a bit wierd how high your expectations are. For a club in it's first ever season in the SPL, losing 2-1 at home to the champions isn't that bad. Don't know why there's been such a big overreaction from all the raging zombies.

EDIT: In fact, I'm going to go through your comment and expose your lies.

Celtic FC have never been sectarian. Our greatest ever manager was a protestant. Sectarian is discrimination against a person or a group of people based on their religious sect. A bit like, you know, having a club policy prohibiting Catholic players from signing for the club or singing on a weekly basis about being up your knees in fenian blood.

Of course we have an Irish identity you idiot. We were formed by an Irish priest for impoverished Irish fleeing the famine in Glasgow. Celtic FC is inextricably linked to Ireland. We know our history and don't deny our roots, instead we embrace them. And Ireland was neutral during WWII. Certain groups may have supported fascist powers of their own accord, likewise certain groups fought against the fascists.

Yes, there are several songs sung by our support which glorify the IRA who fought in the Easter Rising and the Irish war of independence. The same IRA Queen Elizabeth layed a commemoration wreath for.

And your greatest manager was offered a job as the Celtc Pools Manager, because your rancid club wouldn't have a Protestant on its board . . . FACT! You might fool the English and others about your IRA song book, but we know better. If you love Ireland so much why don't you all go back to it?
In England, I'd say that the vast majority of fans are somewhat indifferent, but would generally support Rangers if watching an Old Firm game. Not because they like Rangers (who are complete dickheads themselves most of the time), but because Celtic are (rightly) seen as IRA terrorist supporting morons who have it in their head that they're Irish when they're not really. That doesn't win many neutral English fans. Most would rather cheer on a Union Jack over an IRA flag. Their Palestine obsession also comes across as very provocative. Furthermore, most Celtic fans I know have extreme left wing politics, which just makes them look naive and idiotic.

Footballing-wise, Celtic have a joke of a manager at the moment in Brendan Rodgers, with some vicious scummy players e.g. Scott Brown, and a smug sense of superiority that comes with winning a joke league against zero competition for five years. Winning teams are always the most hated - look at Liverpool in the 80s or Man U in the 00s. It is the perfect mix. However, I don't give a **** about Scottish football in general, so it doesn't really concern me. The violence, politics, fighting and sectarianism is pathetic all round from both Rangers and Celtic.
As a Rangers fan, both teams are as bad as each other and the culture of both clubs is pretty horrible. I try to be in the portion of fans with their head screwed on right, ignore the other stuff and focus on supporting a football team.
Reply 113
Well...one rangers are the worlds most successful football club domestically so you clearly dont have any knowledge between the rivalry also the reason they might be hated as much down south is because there beliefs, celtic HATE the queen and support the Irish Republican army not the club directly but its fans. I find it amazing how a club supported and playing in Scotland wave so many irish tri colors and sing irish rebel songs.
Reply 114
Original post by Danny the Geezer
***** puh-lease come back when you've won a European Cup/got to the Europa League final

Ohhhhh how amazing is this...rangers have been to the europa league final only a few years back? Also we won the Cup winners cup in 1972 in Barcelona
Reply 115
Original post by BurnK
Well...one rangers are the worlds most successful football club domestically so you clearly dont have any knowledge between the rivalry also the reason they might be hated as much down south is because there beliefs, celtic HATE the queen and support the Irish Republican army not the club directly but its fans. I find it amazing how a club supported and playing in Scotland wave so many irish tri colors and sing irish rebel songs.

It's a shame the old rangers are now deceased and are irrelevant. Rangers have won a few lower league titles and the petrofac cup, nothing else. A lot of English people want the monarchy dissolved, is it really that much of a controversial opinion?

Celtic only exists because of the very worst of the British empire, and because of the oppression the Irish people faced. Waving tricolours and singing rebel songs is honouring our foundations and the circumstances around it.
(edited 6 years ago)
For everyone's sake the two teams should be disbanded and formed into one club: Glasgow United or something.
used to prefer rangers to celtic because of fergie, but because of celtics links to irish independence I've gotta back them
Original post by AndrewSCO
As a Rangers fan, both teams are as bad as each other and the culture of both clubs is pretty horrible. I try to be in the portion of fans with their head screwed on right, ignore the other stuff and focus on supporting a football team.

Exactly, it's a bit like arguing what's worse: Herpes or Syphilis? They're both awful. :rofl:

Original post by IamJacksContempt
For everyone's sake the two teams should be disbanded and formed into one club: Glasgow United or something.

:toofunny:
I prefer Celtic. Don't know why, you support (or, in this case, prefer) who you support, you're not supposed to make a choice. I just get a better vibe with them. Maybe I just know the historic players better, maybe it's because they're green.

Maybe that's silly, maybe that's perfect, but it's a lot better than religion or politics. People are forgetting it's a game where people kick a ball and try to get it in the goal. Got **** all to do with countries or whose Jesus is better or failing at the simple Christian things like loving thy neighbour. Kick the ball into the goal, go yay when the one you like does it most in 90 minutes.

Latest