The Student Room Group

PC Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalimyr
x

I caved and got it.

I think I will enjoy it once I start to understand it a little bit better. I started off trying out the tutorials, but they were so stodgy that I just gave up and decided to jump right in and learn by doing. I reasoned that, since there were obvious similarities to Total War, I could probably figure out a fair bit of it myself.

I picked the Duchy of Dyfed (West Wales), because it's probably my favourite place in the world. The 56 year-old Duke of Dyfed is, incidentally, an absolute arse - slothful, gluttonous and cruel. Straight away, I was completely baffled by what to do. I fiddled around with some basic diplomacy, such as getting my heir (my 55 year-old half brother) not to hate me. I didn't much like him, so I decided to get married, in order to get a proper heir in the works, and continue our horrible dynasty. Thus minded, I married a 21 year-old princess of Hungary. Just because.

So, then I was stuck for what to do again, and read through my alerts. Apparently, I had outstanding ducal claims on nearby Glamorgan and Gwent, and so I decided to pursue these claims. I declared war on the Earl of Glamorgan, raised an army and sent them to battle, where they were promptly trounced by a far larger force. Thus humiliated, I decided to quit the game and come back when I was more patient and prepared to go through the tutorials properly.
This sounds like the game 'A Game of Thrones' should have been.
If I survive the rest of this term, and have access to my computer over Easter, I'm going to get that game at the end of term. Maybe it'll be a little cheaper by then, too...
Reply 363
Original post by Jace Falco
I think I will enjoy it once I start to understand it a little bit better.Yeah, it's a bit hard to get into at first, but it is enjoyable once you understand it :smile:
I started off trying out the tutorials, but they were so stodgy that I just gave up and decided to jump right in and learn by doing.
If you go back to the tutorials (or for anyone else who ends up getting the game), the ones about the military and war are a bit screwed up. With one tutorial I had to restart it five times so I could continue past a certain point (I'd raised my army, got some ships and I had to split my army up and move some of them onto the ships and take them to the other side of the country...except after splitting the army it seemed to skip a step and I was unable to do anything at all because it automatically paused the game, I couldn't unpause it and I needed it to be unpaused so my troops could be moved onto the ships).

I picked the Duchy of Dyfed (West Wales), because it's probably my favourite place in the world. The 56 year-old Duke of Dyfed is, incidentally, an absolute arse - slothful, gluttonous and cruel. Straight away, I was completely baffled by what to do. I fiddled around with some basic diplomacy, such as getting my heir (my 55 year-old half brother) not to hate me. I didn't much like him, so I decided to get married, in order to get a proper heir in the works, and continue our horrible dynasty. Thus minded, I married a 21 year-old princess of Hungary. Just because.
One thing I learned the hard way in Europa Universalis III: Having a divided empire makes you rather vulnerable to attack. In my very first game of EU3 I didn't realise it was intended to be REALLY slow-paced so I treated it much like Total War, conquering Iceland, Norway and Denmark in one fell swoop then swiftly followed that up by taking part of Portugal and most of northern Africa...only to have England declare war on me. Their naval superiority prevented me from getting troops back from Africa to Scotland; they essentially barricaded my main force of troops in Portugal so Scotland and Scandinavia were at the mercy of the English forces, while down in Africa I ended up having peasants revolting a lot because of culture clashes and stuff (and because of the English harassing my ships I couldn't get my troops back out of Portugal and into Africa to stop that). Were you to to be in control of territories in Wales and Hungary, that might make things a little challenging for you down the line :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dalimyr
One thing I learned the hard way in Europa Universalis III: Having a divided empire makes you rather vulnerable to attack. In my very first game of EU3 I didn't realise it was intended to be REALLY slow-paced so I treated it much like Total War, conquering Iceland, Norway and Denmark in one fell swoop then swiftly followed that up by taking part of Portugal and most of northern Africa...only to have England declare war on me. Their naval superiority prevented me from getting troops back from Africa to Scotland; they essentially barricaded my main force of troops in Portugal so Scotland and Scandinavia were at the mercy of the English forces, while down in Africa I ended up having peasants revolting a lot because of culture clashes and stuff (and because of the English harassing my ships I couldn't get my troops back out of Portugal and into Africa to stop that). Were you to to be in control of territories in Wales and Hungary, that might make things a little challenging for you down the line :p:

I wasn't actually in control of anything in Hungary. Potentially, I could have started laying claims a generation or two down the line, but it was her cousin who was actually the king.
Original post by Dalimyr
x

My situation is this:

I'm Bleddyn, the Duke of Gwynedd, which includes the County of Powys. My eldest son and heir, Cadwgan, is an arse. My second son, Hunydd, is much more capable, and also heir to Powys - meaning that when I die, the Duchy is split up. My spymaster has just uncovered a plot by Hunydd to kill Cadwgan, and therefore become the main heir, which I think would also mean that he would inherit the whole Duchy, and keep it united. As I've said, Cadwgan is an arse, and Hunydd would make a much more capable ruler. Is it bad of me just to sit back and let the plot unfold?
Reply 366
My situation is this:

I'm Bleddyn, the Duke of Gwynedd, which includes the County of Powys. My eldest son and heir, Cadwgan, is an arse. My second son, Hunydd, is much more capable, and also heir to Powys - meaning that when I die, the Duchy is split up. My spymaster has just uncovered a plot by Hunydd to kill Cadwgan, and therefore become the main heir, which I think would also mean that he would inherit the whole Duchy, and keep it united. As I've said, Cadwgan is an arse, and Hunydd would make a much more capable ruler. Is it bad of me just to sit back and let the plot unfold?
:rofl: If he's that incompetent then personally I'd say stuff him :evil: Questionable, though, whether you want to let the plot unfold or even get involved yourself. If Hunydd has high intrigue and all that then let him do it, but if he's not much good then there's a higher risk that he'd be caught and be branded with the 'kinslayer' trait which understandably has a rather massive negative impact on him. If your own intrigue is higher, have your spymaster build spy network in whatever county Cadwgan is currently residing in (to give you a boost to assassination attempts in that county) and see whether it'd be worth trying to off him yourself. Hopefully Cadwgan's intrigue is low and you'll have a good chance of success with lower chance of being caught.
Original post by cambo211
This sounds like the game 'A Game of Thrones' should have been.

Just what I was thinking. Have you seen the GoT ARPG that same crappy company are coming out with? HBO should take away their license and give it to a dev that can do the series justice!
Original post by Dalimyr
:rofl: If he's that incompetent then personally I'd say stuff him :evil: Questionable, though, whether you want to let the plot unfold or even get involved yourself. If Hunydd has high intrigue and all that then let him do it, but if he's not much good then there's a higher risk that he'd be caught and be branded with the 'kinslayer' trait which understandably has a rather massive negative impact on him. If your own intrigue is higher, have your spymaster build spy network in whatever county Cadwgan is currently residing in (to give you a boost to assassination attempts in that county) and see whether it'd be worth trying to off him yourself. Hopefully Cadwgan's intrigue is low and you'll have a good chance of success with lower chance of being caught.

Ultimately, I did end up offing him myself :tongue: Unfortunately, I hadn't realised that Cadwgan had a son (despite never having been married), and then Hunydd died, so I very rapidly had to transfer my attentions to young Llywellyn!

I'm now on the fourth generation of Welsh rulers (they were Kings by the second generation), and I was having a fine time managing my own little six-county world, utterly ignoring world politics when BAM! An English Earl made a claim on the county of Powys, rode in with six thousand troops and annihilated all resistance. Since there is no chance I'm getting that back until someone comes to invade England again and distracts their army, I've contented myself with carving out chunks of Ireland - which is stupidly easy, because they've all been too busy fighting amongst themselves to form any kind of alliance or unity. I don't think you can set up a kingdom when you already have one, but if you can, I soon will.

Another quality this game brings out in me is the desire for vengeance. A few years ago, the King of France cheated on my sister. With my wife. Now, I'm not stupid. I know that the United Kingdom of Great Wales and All of Ireland is no match for France. But he will die, and he will not see it coming.
Ack, must stop coming in here and reading about this cursed game! If only I didn't have work to do... :sad:
I hate you all so much for make me want this.
Original post by Phalanges
Ack, must stop coming in here and reading about this cursed game! If only I didn't have work to do... :sad:

Original post by cambo211
I hate you all so much for make me want this.

Next time I'm going to play a pagan faction so I can see things from the non-Catholic side :wizard:
Reply 372
Next time I'm going to play a pagan faction so I can see things from the non-Catholic side :wizard:
:no: You can't play as pagans, muslims, theocracies or republics (and I might be missing some other things there)
Just noticed i have £18 on my amazon account.

Game is £23 on amazon.

I can totally afford a fiver.

Winning.
There's a tradition within European royal families of vigorous inbreeding, to keep the bloodline 'pure'. I decided to try my best to avoid that, and so my current king is more Ethiopian than he is Welsh :h:

Original post by Dalimyr
:no: You can't play as pagans, muslims, theocracies or republics (and I might be missing some other things there)

Aww, shame.

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that the King of France crossed me.

Do not cross me.
Original post by Dalimyr

That sucks, are there future mods or official DLCs that will address this?
Are there any AoE players here?
Reply 377
Original post by Some random guy
That sucks, are there future mods or official DLCs that will address this?
Doubtful. It is called "Crusader Kings" after all so I suppose it wants to try and force you to play Christian forces that take part in the crusades.

However, I did find this on the Penny Arcade forums:
You can, sort of, play as a mongol. There is a chance that they will convert to Christianity at some point. If that doesn't happen you can choose a start date when the Golden Horde controls most of Russia. They have christian vassals with an option to adopt their liege's culture and periodically the Khan will demand that you convert to his religion. If you say yes you can continue playing as the character even if they are not christian.

The same tactic allows for playable muslims as well.
Playing a game through to the point where a muslim nation adopts Christianity, then taking control of them and trying to force them to re-adopt Islam seems rather extreme and not particularly practical, as the unrest that'd likely cause would probably mean you'd have a lot of revolts to deal with. There are instances where a leader of a region is of one faith and the territory he rules is another faith, and if the leader (i.e. the guy who'd be your player character) is Christian then you can play as them...if your heir is a pagan/muslim/whatever then voila, you're playing as a pagan/muslim/whatever once your initial leader dies :smile:

Looking around, in 1066:
Jämtland and Trøndelag (in Sweden/Norway) are both Norse regions led by Catholic Christians.
Lübeck (Germany) is a Romuva region led by a Catholic Christian.
Zaozerye (Russia) is a Suomenusko region led by an Orthodox Christian.
Tortosa (Syria) is a Sunni region led by an Orthodox Christian (but the county is part of the Byzantine Empire who at this point in time are still in a position of real power, so breaking free and not having the emperor insist you switch to Orthodox Christianity may not be particularly easy)
Giant Bomb has an hour-long quicklook of this game, if you fancy getting even more interested in it:

It should be arriving in the post today :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest