The Student Room Group

Any mature students for Leeds Met or Canterbury??

Hi there, I'm 34 and slightly terrified that I'm going to be the only mature student back in Uni......anyone out there applying for yr3 top-up degree and QTS???

Soph

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sophgarcia
Hi there, I'm 34 and slightly terrified that I'm going to be the only mature student back in Uni......anyone out there applying for yr3 top-up degree and QTS???

Soph

im considering leeds met for sept, to do dietetics. Ill be 27, from what i have read on here it shouldnt be too bad for a mature student, i am still nervous about feeling really old though. where u going to be livin?
Reply 2
Hiya.....If I get accepted I havent got anything organised in terms of accomodation.
We should keep in contact!!
Are u on fb??
Reply 3
Hi! I've just firmed Leeds Met to study Dietetics. I will be 26 when I start, hopefully there will be quite a few of us about! Im really excited, especially now Ive firmed, but also nervous. Just need to get through the rest of my Access course :smile:
Reply 4
Congratsssss.......I've got my interview on the 21st !!!!!!!!
Im sure there will be a bunch of us at uni LOL :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by --AJ--
Hi! I've just firmed Leeds Met to study Dietetics. I will be 26 when I start, hopefully there will be quite a few of us about! Im really excited, especially now Ive firmed, but also nervous. Just need to get through the rest of my Access course :smile:

i read ur post and thought it was me wrote it cos i have applied to leeds met to study dietetics and im 26 and im doing an access course lol, i am going to the open day on 24th to check the place out but still waiting to hear from other choices. where else did u apply for?
Reply 6
Canterbury is my other choice and you??
Reply 7
Canterbury is my other choice and you??

i also applied for university of ulster, dietetics, waiting for hpat results, and glasgow caldeonian. plus i have applied for a really good looking degree in cork, nutritional science, dont think i will hear from them untill july though. Hate all this waiting.
Reply 8
yeah...Goodluck and we'll keep in touch :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Sophie1985
i read ur post and thought it was me wrote it cos i have applied to leeds met to study dietetics and im 26 and im doing an access course lol, i am going to the open day on 24th to check the place out but still waiting to hear from other choices. where else did u apply for?

I must admit to seeing your post and thinking that I didnt remember posting!
I applied to Cardiff, London Met, Surrey and Nottingham, but Leeds was my 1st choice- I like the sound of the non clinical placement that they do. I'm off the applicants day to have a good look round, hopefully it will not be as hectic as the one I went to before applying! Hope you hear from your other choices soon, I hate the wait!! Hope your access couse is going ok, mines just kicked it up a gear, seem to be having assignment after assignment at the moment.
Original post by --AJ--
I must admit to seeing your post and thinking that I didnt remember posting!
I applied to Cardiff, London Met, Surrey and Nottingham, but Leeds was my 1st choice- I like the sound of the non clinical placement that they do. I'm off the applicants day to have a good look round, hopefully it will not be as hectic as the one I went to before applying! Hope you hear from your other choices soon, I hate the wait!! Hope your access couse is going ok, mines just kicked it up a gear, seem to be having assignment after assignment at the moment.

yea i know wat u mean, i am just home from my physics class, learning all about power and electricity, its interesting but kinda hard to concentrate when ur eyes are hanging out of your head from tiredness, but only 7 weeks left! actually cant wait to go to uni. Are u from leeds?
yeah...Goodluck and we'll keep in touch :wink:

definitely, and good luck with ur exams and stuff :-)
Reply 12
yea i know wat u mean, i am just home from my physics class, learning all about power and electricity, its interesting but kinda hard to concentrate when ur eyes are hanging out of your head from tiredness, but only 7 weeks left! actually cant wait to go to uni. Are u from leeds?

I'm from just outside Leeds, takes me about an hour to get into the centre from home. I will be moving into halls in September though.
Sorry for the late reply, am totally swamped at the moment and I've got to do an extra Chemistry module over the Easter hols!
How did you find the applicants day? I thought it was great, can't wait to get started! :smile:
Original post by --AJ--
I'm from just outside Leeds, takes me about an hour to get into the centre from home. I will be moving into halls in September though.
Sorry for the late reply, am totally swamped at the moment and I've got to do an extra Chemistry module over the Easter hols!
How did you find the applicants day? I thought it was great, can't wait to get started! :smile:

ur grand, i thought the applicant day was brilliant, i absolutely loved leeds and the uni, i put it as my firm yesterday so fingers crossed is pass this course. where are u wanting to live? i have no idea where to pick :-~ r u on fb? look me up helen harvey
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
My cousin went to Canterbury Christ Church University to study Nursing, she was a mature student, she started at like 22 or so I think. A lot of his friends from the course seemed to be mature students...

Regardless, it shouldn't be a problem. There's mature students on every course in every university, in many unis there's also mature student societies to make friends, and it's not as if the younger students care about your age, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 15
ur grand, i thought the applicant day was brilliant, i absolutely loved leeds and the uni, i put it as my firm yesterday so fingers crossed is pass this course. where are u wanting to live? i have no idea where to pick :-~ r u on fb? look me up helen harvey

Congrats for firming! :smile: Best feeling in the world!
I've put a deposit down for Mill Street - its near enough the centre and the campus but cheaper than Opal. I put that I wanted to live with over 21 y.o too, dont think I want to live with a load of 18 y.o especially after what June was saying about the work load and early starts!
I'm on fb, dont go on much but will look you up, I'm anneka church.
Original post by --AJ--
Congrats for firming! :smile: Best feeling in the world!
I've put a deposit down for Mill Street - its near enough the centre and the campus but cheaper than Opal. I put that I wanted to live with over 21 y.o too, dont think I want to live with a load of 18 y.o especially after what June was saying about the work load and early starts!
I'm on fb, dont go on much but will look you up, I'm anneka church.

im concerned that my loans wont cover my accommodation and living costs so i wanted to keep costs down, was thinking about royal park flats as its only 80 quid a week, well when i say only lol are u getting any other financial help from say parents or anything? cos i will be all on my own :-)
Reply 17
im concerned that my loans wont cover my accommodation and living costs so i wanted to keep costs down, was thinking about royal park flats as its only 80 quid a week, well when i say only lol are u getting any other financial help from say parents or anything? cos i will be all on my own :-)

Will you get the NHS bursary and the maintainence loan? I think Leeds is quite expensive for uni accomodation compared to some other places. Mill Street is 105 a week but I wanted an en suite, I figured I would rather compromise on shopping and extras than accom! I'll be on a really tight budget though, not getting an help from parents or anywhere so in the same boat as you! I calculated on the finance site that I would get atleast £5915 depending on how many weeks the course is. Thank god for student overdrafts!!
Original post by --AJ--
Will you get the NHS bursary and the maintainence loan? I think Leeds is quite expensive for uni accomodation compared to some other places. Mill Street is 105 a week but I wanted an en suite, I figured I would rather compromise on shopping and extras than accom! I'll be on a really tight budget though, not getting an help from parents or anywhere so in the same boat as you! I calculated on the finance site that I would get atleast £5915 depending on how many weeks the course is. Thank god for student overdrafts!!

hopefully i will get the nhs money, see i would rather compromise on accommodation slightly and maybe location, as i dont mind walking places, so i can eat relatively healthily. but i dont want to llive somewhere **** and realise i might have had enough money to live somewhere nicer, ohhh the decisions lol
Reply 19
Heyaaa i got into Leeds Met !!!! Just got to concentrate on my biology access course now and pass it..my name is Sophie Garcia if you want to add me on facebook
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest