The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by schick_88
I haven't heard about anyone being unsuccessful yet either but anytime I have contacted the fast stream they have said that the NI stream will most likely not hear anything until the FSAC is all over at the end of the month.

No idea how many people got to the FSAC for the NI Stream but I know there are only 5 places which is really low compared to the other streams.

There were at least 2 other people on the NI Stream on the same FSAC as me so you would assume that quite a few applicants have sat the assessment centre so far already.

People are quoting their scores therefore you would think that they have calculated our scores as well, so if you haven't come near the top to date then why aren't they letting applicants know they have been unsuccessful? It doesn't make sense to me!
Original post by Steve_J
There were at least 2 other people on the NI Stream on the same FSAC as me so you would assume that quite a few applicants have sat the assessment centre so far already.

People are quoting their scores therefore you would think that they have calculated our scores as well, so if you haven't come near the top to date then why aren't they letting applicants know they have been unsuccessful? It doesn't make sense to me!

Yea they will know our scores already but they don't release anyones scores until they have been told they have been successful or unsuccessful but I would imagine if there have been more than 5 people through the FSAC some people would have already been told they have been unsuccessful if they have scored lower than the top 5 people so far (if that makes sense?)

When did you have your FSAC? I had mine on 28th Feb.
Reply 1882
I don't know what combinations of applications are possible, but is it plausible that some NI fast stream applicants have also applied for GFS/EFS/TiB, and chosen an option with a final selection board as their first choice. That way, even if 5 + x people had already taken the FSAC, they wouldnt be able to tell the x lowest scorers that they were unsuccessful until it were ascertained that the top 5 scorers hadnt been offered place on their first choice scheme. Just a thought, I maywell be entirely wrong!
Original post by lm222
I don't know what combinations of applications are possible, but is it plausible that some NI fast stream applicants have also applied for GFS/EFS/TiB, and chosen an option with a final selection board as their first choice. That way, even if 5 + x people had already taken the FSAC, they wouldnt be able to tell the x lowest scorers that they were unsuccessful until it were ascertained that the top 5 scorers hadnt been offered place on their first choice scheme. Just a thought, I maywell be entirely wrong!

If you apply to the NI Stream you can't apply to any of the other streams as far as I can remember so they wouldn't be waiting on any other schemes.

yep just checked (just for those that are interested or who are waiting on the NI Fast Stream) -
If you are eligible and choose to apply for the Analytical Fast Stream, HR Fast Stream or NI Fast Stream, you will not be able to apply for the GFS, EFS or TIB Fast Stream schemes in the same recruitment year and vice-versa
(edited 12 years ago)
Not too long to wait now, should know in a couple of weeks :smile: Then we can wait for FSB results and placements if we get them :/
Reply 1885
I just wanted to post on here. I got my FSAC results back and was rejected because I did not smile enough, nod my head like a nodding dog in the group exercise, and I tried to put my point across too much, yet that's what the brief said to do, put your point across! The assessor in the interview pulled me up on standing up for my rights, and thought I should just roll over and take it! I've got quite a bitter taste about it tbh, I'm disabled with mobility problems, and I feel they led me on just to tick a box in their "equal opportunities" mantra to say they've adhered to it. I'm, not like some others who are already in jobs, this was a once in a lifetime shot for me, because no-one else wantsto know, not when you've got a disability and I'm 35! Over the hill!! The only reason I wasn't smiling enough and nodding my head was because I had no sleep the previous night at the hotel due to all night construction work going on right outside, I was involved in a near train crash on the Paddington line on the Sunday (*day before), everything that could go wrong did go wrong! The taxi meant to pick me up went to the wrong place, it all fell to pieces. I think anyone on here experiencing the same things would not feel like smiling a lot on the day? I honestly do not know what they are looking for, but it's not for the likes of me who's just been tossed back onto the garbage heap where I supposedly belong! Sorry to intrude on other’s happiness, but not everyone got through FSAC, not everyone has another job as a back up, or a nice holiday to go on, I have nothing, no money, no career, a dead end. As for applying again, what's the point. Forget it, it's not all about competentices, the whole thing is a trick to trip you up, as outlined in my FSAC report. If you want more details, post me, I'll give them to you, but don't believe all what you read what they say they want you to know...As for HoP, I put it down 1st, but got results same day, how come it was so quick?!! So, there is no April day for letting you know results. My advice? Make sure you have back up if you go in for fast stream, as with all the cutbacks in the Civil Service, who knows when anyone's going to get the boot. So, if you want it and not afraid of getting the boot and you have a back up just in case, then go for fast stream, otherwise, leave it, they pick you up on the slightest little thing and use it as an excuse to get rid to save themselves. Rant over. Bitter and disillusioned? You're darn right I am. I feel I've been led on a wild goose chase to end up nowhere. They don't want anyone who challenges things, they seem to want "nodding dogs" that you get in the backs of car windows kind of thing. No disrespect to anyone on here, but when you get told you don't nod or smile much, then that's what they seem to want! As for smiling, my experience is, if you even so much as look at anyone, they say "what you looking at?" in a threatening tone. Smiling? Who the hell feels like smiling when they're knackered and stressed out. You have been warned, people...:mad:
Original post by law-owl
I just wanted to post on here. I got my FSAC results back and was rejected because I did not smile enough, nod my head like a nodding dog in the group exercise, and I tried to put my point across too much, yet that's what the brief said to do, put your point across! The assessor in the interview pulled me up on standing up for my rights, and thought I should just roll over and take it! I've got quite a bitter taste about it tbh, I'm disabled with mobility problems, and I feel they led me on just to tick a box in their "equal opportunities" mantra to say they've adhered to it. I'm, not like some others who are already in jobs, this was a once in a lifetime shot for me, because no-one else wantsto know, not when you've got a disability and I'm 35! Over the hill!! The only reason I wasn't smiling enough and nodding my head was because I had no sleep the previous night at the hotel due to all night construction work going on right outside, I was involved in a near train crash on the Paddington line on the Sunday (*day before), everything that could go wrong did go wrong! The taxi meant to pick me up went to the wrong place, it all fell to pieces. I think anyone on here experiencing the same things would not feel like smiling a lot on the day? I honestly do not know what they are looking for, but it's not for the likes of me who's just been tossed back onto the garbage heap where I supposedly belong! Sorry to intrude on other’s happiness, but not everyone got through FSAC, not everyone has another job as a back up, or a nice holiday to go on, I have nothing, no money, no career, a dead end. As for applying again, what's the point. Forget it, it's not all about competentices, the whole thing is a trick to trip you up, as outlined in my FSAC report. If you want more details, post me, I'll give them to you, but don't believe all what you read what they say they want you to know...As for HoP, I put it down 1st, but got results same day, how come it was so quick?!! So, there is no April day for letting you know results. My advice? Make sure you have back up if you go in for fast stream, as with all the cutbacks in the Civil Service, who knows when anyone's going to get the boot. So, if you want it and not afraid of getting the boot and you have a back up just in case, then go for fast stream, otherwise, leave it, they pick you up on the slightest little thing and use it as an excuse to get rid to save themselves. Rant over. Bitter and disillusioned? You're darn right I am. I feel I've been led on a wild goose chase to end up nowhere. They don't want anyone who challenges things, they seem to want "nodding dogs" that you get in the backs of car windows kind of thing. No disrespect to anyone on here, but when you get told you don't nod or smile much, then that's what they seem to want! As for smiling, my experience is, if you even so much as look at anyone, they say "what you looking at?" in a threatening tone. Smiling? Who the hell feels like smiling when they're knackered and stressed out. You have been warned, people...:mad:

I can understand you're disappointed and frustrated, but the Fast Stream is extremely competitive, as I'm sure you're aware - not everyone who applies is going to make it. So yes, people should have back up plans and apply for other jobs, but that's just common sense surely? Smiling and nodding may seem like silly things, but they're important components of being a good team player, which is one of the core competencies they're looking for. It sounds like you had a bad day before the FSAC, and I do feel for you, but these things happen, and it's important to be able to cope with them. Rather than getting upset and frustrated by your FSAC report, try and actually take on board what it says, so you can work on the areas where you need to improve. Even if you choose not to reapply for the Fast Stream, it's genuinely invaluable feedback that will help you in future applications for any job.
Reply 1887
Original post by law-owl

The fast stream was the most meritocratic of all of the graduate schemes I applied for, I don't see how they could make it any fairer than it already is.

With regards to standing up for yourself, one of the bits of praise I received in my report was that during the group exercise I challenged others "gently".

What score did you get? The HoP has an immediately unsuccessful score already set.
(edited 12 years ago)
I haven't bothered checking the website for a week now, and not going to bother checking again til April 1st. Just want to know already!
Original post by law-owl

I am sorry you didn't get through sounds like you ha a rough time before the FSAC. It is really hard when you get heavy criticism for something you may or may not have done, I had good feedback initially for the group discussion but towards the end was seen as aggressive and possibly intimidating! I felt I was helping drive for a decision and currently work in the private sector for a big company in management and I treated it like a meeting in work which is very results driven. In hindsight I can see how the psychological assessor would have thought what she did, also I use my hands a lot and apparently I was pen wagging.. completely unaware I do it!! Noticed it again recently though and it an be misconstrued depending on who you are talking to definately. The most important part of the group exercise is working together and I think it's easy to lose sight of that when you are in there.

So yes I agree the feedback can be very specific and not nice to read but ultimately you have to take it on board and use it for future. I am sure your report wasn't all bad, I still managed to get through even though I had specific constructive criticism. I don't think they are looking for nodding dogs I am definately not one of those, but the assessment day is making sure you have the generic competences to fit in anywhere in all government departments and succeed. I really wish you the best of luck in what you now decide to do however don't rule out applying next year, it's mentioned many times on here repeat candidates have a much higher pass rate and you now know what you need to improve on.
(edited 12 years ago)
On NI fast stream..my thoughts are as above...I reckon they will just wait till all NI applicants have attended FSAC before letting anyone know they've been unsuccessful. If there are 5 NI jobs against say 300-400 for the other streams combined with about 1000 or so attending FSAC then there can't be that many NI applicants taken forward to FSAC....is my reckoning anyway. Perhaps those who currently lie in top five (moon(something)) on here may be the top person so far- if there are only four more NI applicants to sit then he/she couldn't be knocked off the top and would therefore be safe to be informed successful. If two more NI people sit it this week then a couple more might be informed this Friday or Monday coming. Get my thinking?

J
Reply 1891
I wonder if the FSAC brains make allowance for the descent into insanity that many of the candidates take as they wait for the outcomes? Or is this indeed a test of the "7th Competency"?

A message just pinged into my phone and I leapt on it quicker than thought. Nada.
Original post by jiggogogo
I'm through to DS FSB with a score of 19.29 - I have no idea if that's high or low.

Just to echo what others have said, the report is really detailed and is broken down into competencies with feedback from each part of the FSAC and the e-tray written exercise. They also summarise your strengths and 'areas for improvement' at the end of the report.

Anybody else care to share?

I got less than 19 but more than 18.5 and got through to the FSB so it looks like the range is pretty wide
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1893
Not heard anything back - FSAC was 27th Feb and I'm in for TiB.

I am almost certain I performed badly on the interview. Also I despise "feedback questionnaires" and told the assessors so when they gave them to me! So I expect I'm very much borderline if I've still not heard back.
Reply 1894
I passed for HR. In the words of Barack O, "I'm chuffed to bits".
Original post by Evidza

Did you find out today? I still haven't heard and I'm going for HR. although maybe not hearing isn't the worst news, I'm dreading the message cos my FSAC was awful.
Original post by Evidza

Really good news congratulations! I passed for HR too most of my pre checks are sorted am excited to see what positions are offered
Original post by law-owl

Well, at least the experience hasn't made you bitter.
Reply 1898
Original post by shellybean01
Really good news congratulations! I passed for HR too most of my pre checks are sorted am excited to see what positions are offered

I'm a little worried that thus far they've only asked me to complete the disclosure check - what other checks are they doing?
Reply 1899
Original post by F6053721
Did you find out today? I still haven't heard and I'm going for HR. although maybe not hearing isn't the worst news, I'm dreading the message cos my FSAC was awful.

Yes. Message was sent before 2, and I had only just seen it when I posted. I found some of my performance awful too, if that helps. On the one of the feedback forms when asked what I would do differently next time, my response was "Everything".

Sometimes we are our harshest critics.

Thanks shellybean :smile:

lm222, we have this in the pre-appointment section:

PRE-APPOINTMENT CHECK DESCRIPTION / DOWNLOAD FORM CURRENT STATUS STATUS DATE
Academic Referee (details taken from Application Form)
Present Employment Reference (details from Movements for last 3 years form)
Previous Employment (details from Movements for last 3 years form)
Health Declaration - Download Form or

Character Enquiry - Download Form or

Movements for last three years - Download Form or

Original Degree Certificate and/or Original University Transcript
Criminal Record Declaration and Disclosure Application form (with barcode) - Forms sent to you by post
Passport or Personal Identity (produced at FS Assessment Centre)
Documentary evidence of significant periods abroad in the last 3 years.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest