The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lm222
I'm a little worried that thus far they've only asked me to complete the disclosure check - what other checks are they doing?

EVerything listed above by Evidza is what I have completed, everything successful just waiting for the disclosure to go through.
Original post by Evidza
I passed for HR. In the words of Barack O, "I'm chuffed to bits".

Just out of interest how long did you have to wait from attending FSAC to getting your result?
Reply 1902
Had FSAC last week.
Reply 1903
I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough experience pre-FSAC, and I'm also sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful in your application. Given your description of events preceding the FSAC, it's no wonder you may not have been on top form on the day. However, looking at it a different way, you've got some detailed and invaluable feedback, from my point of view, I've never been given so much feedback on a job application in my life (I'm a year younger than you). I don't know about your experience, but on reflection the feedback I got - whilst being harsh in places - was on the whole a true reflection of me right now.

Original post by law-owl
I got my FSAC results back and was rejected because I did not smile enough, nod my head like a nodding dog in the group exercise, and I tried to put my point across too much

Building productive relationships can often be impaired by missing the small things like were mentioned above.

Taking your final point above: In the past 10 years, I've been in many, many meetings where people are fixated in getting their point across to the extent that they stop listening to what other people are saying, and the general outcome of this is that no consensus is ever built and you reach a deadlock.

These meetings are, IMO, much less useful than those where balanced and moderate discussion takes place, with people trying their best to put their points forward whilst still listening to the opinions of others, and building on the issues that arise.

Original post by law-owl
I feel they led me on just to tick a box in their "equal opportunities" mantra to say they've adhered to it.

Unlikely. The following figures come from the Fast Stream Recruitment Report 2010 (I doubt this year's statistics will be wildly different, they've been quite similar in recent years):

Number of disabled candidates: 1,136 (5.2% of all applications)
Number appointed: 63 (13.5% of all appointments)

That's an overall success rate of 5.54% which is very favourable - for reference, the overall average success rate was 2.14%, and the success rate for people stating no disability was 1.95%.

(You want to see some large inequalities? The success rate for non-white candidates is only 1.23% as compared with 2.38% for white candidates. The success rate for Oxbridge is 5.26%, compared with 1.82% for non-Oxbridge)

Original post by law-owl
I think anyone on here experiencing the same things would not feel like smiling a lot on the day?

Totally understandable. However, the trick here is to smile nonetheless (and make other social cues - nodding in agreement, making eye contact, etc) even despite not feeling like it. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to do this in my professional life (at the moment I'm now a secondary school teacher, so have had to do it more often than usual!).

Sorry if any of this comes off as patronising, this isn't my intention - I just wanted to present a different viewpoint. And if all you were rejected on was truly not nodding and smiling during the group exercise, that's a clear and not-too-tricky development point to address - I'd certainly be tempted to re-apply next year in that case (and personally - if I'm booted out at the TiB FSB I'll certainly be reapplying next year).
(edited 12 years ago)
There are a few of us over 30 that I've noticed, and I agree age or disability really isn't an issue. If you play it right, it's actually an advantage. I'd encourage anyone who fails first time to reapply, you definitely stand a good chance second time around. There is a lot of jumping through hoops I admit, but in an assessment centre process, I can't see how they can do it any other way.
Reply 1905
Knowing one 40 year old disabled candidate and alumnus of London South Bank Univ. who got through, I agree with the above. Plus I am over 30, too.
Reply 1906
Hey everyone, just for edification, I've just today been informed I got through FSAC to Central Departments (my 3rd choice) with a mark in the mid-17s. My FSAC itself was back at the end of January. Can I just get confirmation that a pass to CD is a guaranteed job, Somewhere?! Don't want to go quitting my current job only to get thrown out at another hurdle!!
Reply 1907
Original post by RDCF12
Can I just get confirmation that a pass to CD is a guaranteed job, Somewhere?! Don't want to go quitting my current job only to get thrown out at another hurdle!!

The general advice is don't quit your current job until you get a start date. Whilst you are guaranteed a job somewhere if you are accepted in CD, it is not guaranteed when exactly this will be. For some people it's early summer, but if you are very unlucky it's possible this might not be until next year!
Are results for FSACs only given out on Mondays and Fridays or does it vary?
Original post by Gnocchi321
Are results for FSACs only given out on Mondays and Fridays or does it vary?

It's mainly monday but I have seen people get results during the week too so its hard to know I just keep checking a few times during the day but it seems to mainly be the afternoon when people get results
Just found out I was successful, so obviously not just Mondays and Fridays. Thanks for your advice!
Original post by Gnocchi321
Just found out I was successful, so obviously not just Mondays and Fridays. Thanks for your advice!

Congratulations! What stream did you go for? When was your FSAC?
Hiyya... Only just discovered this thread. I have my Assessment Centre on Thursday. Guessing I'm one of the last ones. Any advice regarding interview competencies? I am trying to prepare answers for all the standard competencies they ask but are there any tricky ones in there that they may surprise me with?

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Congrats to everyone who has got through so far :smile: xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1913
Original post by tiffjmogn
Hiyya... Only just discovered this thread. I have my Assessment Centre on Thursday. Guessing I'm one of the last ones. Any advice regarding interview competencies? I am trying to prepare answers for all the standard competencies they ask but are there any tricky ones in there that they may surprise me with?

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Congrats to everyone who has got through so far :smile: xx

Genuinely from my experience the guide they have for the FSAC is all that you need.

Aside from nailing down your competency examples, think about your motivations for joining the fast stream, what it can provide you, your knowledge of the program - basic interview stuff really. I think it's the least intimidating part of the day as you can go in there fully prepared!

Also, in my own personal opinion, if you're stuck on something take a few seconds to think about it, rather than start rushing stuff out and babbling.

Good luck :smile:
Is the last FSAC 30th March then? Will this mean that final marks are set then? Could we expect an update on 2nd April? Or is that me wishfully thinking ive only got two more weeks to go to find out?!?
Original post by F6053721
Is the last FSAC 30th March then? Will this mean that final marks are set then? Could we expect an update on 2nd April? Or is that me wishfully thinking ive only got two more weeks to go to find out?!?

When I contacted them they said the final one is on the 29th March? But yes I would imagine by 'early april' they mean the week begining 2nd April we will find out might not all be on the monday but I would say pretty soon after that!
Original post by schick_88
When I contacted them they said the final one is on the 29th March? But yes I would imagine by 'early april' they mean the week begining 2nd April we will find out might not all be on the monday but I would say pretty soon after that!

Good. I am absolutely going insane here. I'm on maternity leave from work too so I'm at home all day just checking the computer!! I just want to know now. Hopefully I'll get a good message and not a bad one. Are you still waiting? I don't remember seeing an update from you but I might have missed it
Good. I am absolutely going insane here. I'm on maternity leave from work too so I'm at home all day just checking the computer!! I just want to know now. Hopefully I'll get a good message and not a bad one. Are you still waiting? I don't remember seeing an update from you but I might have missed it

Yep I'm still waiting on the NI Stream so can't wait till the end of the month to find out as there is only 5 places on the NI stream so they aren't apparently telling us until all the FSACs are over - but doesn't stop me checking everyday too!
Congratulations! What stream did you go for? When was your FSAC?

I applied for GFS (for central departments) and my FSAC was on Thursday.
Original post by schick_88
Yep I'm still waiting on the NI Stream so can't wait till the end of the month to find out as there is only 5 places on the NI stream so they aren't apparently telling us until all the FSACs are over - but doesn't stop me checking everyday too!

i had thought there were 4 places (from a sort of inside source) but did the fs team tell you for sure there were 5? good job...ever so so so so slightly better chance...lol

Quick Reply

Latest