The Student Room Group

C3 Trigonometry

Can you please help me on this? This one I am really confused about:

1+tan(3x/2)1+ \tan(3x/2)

Please explain in detail.I don't think we have even covered it in class, yet we have been set to do it. Could you explain why you do some things.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GreenLantern1

1+tan(3x/2)1+ \tan(3x/2)

Please explain in detail.I don't think we have even covered it in class, yet we have been set to do it. Could you explain why you do some things.

Is there supposed to be an equation somewhere?
Reply 2
Is it 1+tan(3x/2)=0

1+tan(3x/2)1+ \tan(3x/2)

That's not a question, what's the actual question? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Fazeel 123
Is it 1+tan(3x/2)=0

Then it would be tan(3x/2)=-1
tan-1(-1)=3x/2
times by 2 and divide by 3 to get X and get the rest of the values in the range given in the question
Reply 5
tan-1(-1)=3x/2
times by 2 and divide by 3 to get X and get the rest of the values in the range given in the question

by this I assume you mean get all the values in the new boundaries (original boundaries multiplied by 3/2) and then divide each value by 3/2 afterwards

don't want to confuse to OP :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Maths
by this I assume you mean get all the values in the new boundaries (original boundaries multiplied by 3/2) and then divide each value by 3/2 afterwards

don't want to confuse to OP :smile:

tan-1(-1)=3x/2

Sorry everyone I was unclear. It is that equation equal to zero, and then find all the angles between 0 and 360 that satisfy the equation.

Original post by hassi94
That's not a question, what's the actual question? :smile:

Is it 1+tan(3x/2)=0

Original post by steve2005
Is there supposed to be an equation somewhere?

1+tan(3x/2)1+ \tan(3x/2)

Reply 7
1+ tan3x/2 =0 0<x<360
tan3x/2=-1
tan3x/2 = -1
3x/2 = tan^-1(-2) 0<3x/2<540
Then add 180 to your first value and then keep adding 180 until you get the last value that is <540
Now divide all the values by 3 and times by 2 and check if any of them don't fit in the original range and if so then don't count them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry everyone I was unclear. It is that equation equal to zero, and then find all the angles between 0 and 360 that satisfy the equation.

Surely you've done this in C2?

Inverse tan, and since 0<x<360 then 0<3x/2<540 so find all the solutions in that range, then divide by 3/2 to get x =..
Original post by TLK
1+ tan3x/2 =0 0<x<360
tan3x/2=-1
tan3x = -2
3x = tan^-1(-2) 0<3x<1080
Then add 180 to your first value and then keep adding 180 until you get the last value that is <1080
Now divide all the values by 3 and check if any of them don't fit in the original range and if so then don't count them.

This is incorrect.
Reply 10
Original post by hassi94
This is incorrect.

Ah, sorry I didn't look at the 2 and though it was outside the bracket:colondollar:.
Thanks, I've changed it now
Reply 11
So is it 210 and 30 degrees?
Reply 12
2 cot y = 3 cos y

How do I do this!!
So is it 210 and 30 degrees?

How did you get that? FYI that's incorrect.

Try do this question before you move onto any more.
Reply 14
2 cot y = 3 cos y

How do I do this!!

2 cot y = 3 cos y
2 1/tany = 3 cos y
2 cosy/siny = 3 cos y
2/siny = 3
2/3 = siny

Hopefully I'm right first time this time :colondollar:
Original post by TLK
2 cot y = 3 cos y
2 1/tany = 3 cos y
2 cosy/siny = 3 cos y
2/siny = 3
2/3 = siny

Hopefully I'm right first time this time :colondollar:

I'm afraid not. :tongue: By doing what you did you've lost the solution cos y = 0

I'll help you with this OP once you've got the first one. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by hassi94
How did you get that? FYI that's incorrect.

Try do this question before you move onto any more.

I don't understand what I've done wrong then :|. Are either of the values correct?
Reply 17
Original post by hassi94
I'm afraid not. :tongue: By doing what you did you've lost the solution cos y = 0

I'll help you with this OP once you've got the first one. :smile:

:colondollar:, I get 90 when inverse cos y = 0 but when I try to sub it back in for 2/tan(90) I get maths error??
I don't understand what I've done wrong then :|. Are either of the values correct?

210 is, but it seems you've used an incorrect method (just got one correct answer coincidentally).

Right so if I ask you to write down the values of 3x/2 for the range 0<x<360 what are your answers?
Original post by TLK
:colondollar:, I get 90 when inverse cos y = 0 but when I try to sub it back in for 2/tan(90) I get maths error??

That's because it's trying to do tan(90) (undefined) then doing 2/it, instead of just doing 2cos(90) then dividing by sin90.

Quick Reply

Latest