The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Like a BAWS
WHat makes you say that they're clearly better ?

They do better in virtually every ranking.
Durham has always had a better reputation.
Nicer locations, too.
Original post by Spairos
Which university is the best in UK after Oxbridge according to you (excluding London based universities) in overall terms?

EDIT: I voted Warwick for the following reasons:
The University of Warwick is one of only five universities never to have been rated outside the top ten in terms of teaching excellence and research. Entrance is highly competitive, with around nine applicants per place. Warwick is the second most-targeted university in the UK by top employers.
It also falls within the top 50 universities of the world. (However it is not based in London, so its preferable for people having related preferences)

I think this is a very simplified argument. If you are thinking in terms of science and engineering without a doubt I'd have to say Bristol or Bath. If you are thinking of the best in terms of social sciences, Economics, Business and foreign, I'd say Warwick or Nottingham. If you are referring to the Arts, I'd say Edinburgh or Durham.

There are certainly few institutions that invest in maintaining the calibre of this "notion of all round excellence". Whilst offering other subjects, most will focus and invest more research and time in the fields they are good at.

Beyond this, you have to wonder how you quantify the "best university", is it in terms of the amount of research it produces? Is it in term of the quality of research? Is it the quality of undergraduate teaching or satisfaction, which I'm guessing is what you guys are using as your main criteria, in what it a mildly superficial argument; whilst there's nothing wrong in aspiring to go to a good uni, this notion of the "best uni" after Oxbridge and London is a false one and a bit farcical, because you imply that one institution's degree is better than another and one candidate, despite there being little distinction amongst many top unis and so I think there's no truth in the notion that a graduate with a degree from Warwick trumps another candidate with a degree from say Manchester, or vice versa
Reply 42
Manchester needs to be replaced with Bristol on that list.
Original post by Junaid96
They do better in virtually every ranking.
Durham has always had a better reputation.
Nicer locations, too.

Hmm I see where you're coming from but disagree that they're obviously better, or better by any great margin, I think its subjective really.

-Nearly every ranking table is bull****.
- Depends on the subject
- In terms of location thats subjective too. Ive heard Durham is a snorefest, and that although the Warwick campus is great, outside of it in the second and thrd yeah i've heard that's pretty boring too
Reply 44
St Andrew's, although I admit I'm utterly biased :tongue:
Original post by Like a BAWS
Hmm I see where you're coming from but disagree that they're obviously better, or better by any great margin, I think its subjective really.

-Nearly every ranking table is bull****.
- Depends on the subject
- In terms of location thats subjective too. Ive heard Durham is a snorefest, and that although the Warwick campus is great, outside of it in the second and thrd yeah i've heard that's pretty boring too

Meh, I'll probably apply to Bristol too anyway, I'm just saying there aren't many who view Warwick/Durham below it.
Reply 46
That depends on when your son went to university, though. To be honest at the moment not many people applying to Cambridge would choose Sheffield, Nottingham etc. as that is a huge drop in standard of university. The majority will be going for something like Cambridge, UCL/LSE/Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh etc. and then something like Leicester as a reserve choice.

But like the OP, he did not want to be in London. Also he was trying to stay in easy communication with home for various reasons. The first one he looked at was Nottingham and he was very taken by it. Leicester neded up, as you say, as his back up.
But I am not convicned that Nottingham (for physics) is that far behind the London uni's. And the reason he didn't like Warwick was the Physics department ( or at least on of their professors).
To be honest at the moment not many people applying to Cambridge would choose Sheffield, Nottingham etc. as that is a huge drop in standard of university.

Whats this statement based upon?
Original post by olddad
But like the OP, he did not want to be in London. Also he was trying to stay in easy communication with home for various reasons. The first one he looked at was Nottingham and he was very taken by it. Leicester neded up, as you say, as his back up.
But I am not convicned that Nottingham (for physics) is that far behind the London uni's. And the reason he didn't like Warwick was the Physics department ( or at least on of their professors).

Okay, it all depends on which university you like, and then which of those you think will do you justice.

Original post by Sam Walters
Whats this statement based upon?

Virtually every Oxbridge applicant I know. Seems pretty logical too, that if you're applying for the top university in the country your other universities will likely be of similar prestige, apart from 1-2 for backup.
Reply 49
i think Bristol university should be on the survey list instead of Bath
Lancaster? You've got to be kidding.

I voted Warwick. Not the prettiest environment but undoubtedly a kicka** university.
Reply 51
Original post by Tsunami2011
I apologise for my mistake, I could have sworn that I've seen Durham claim to be the third oldest university in England:s-smilie:

Durham has a reputation for attracting a certain type of Oxbridge reject, which I'm sure you're aware of. I don't think that claim would hold true anymore, Durham is just one in a long list of destinations for Oxbridge rejects.

You know not everybody who goes to Durham is an oxbridge reject. i didn't apply for oxbridge as i knew i wouldn't have enjoyed it there and wouldn't have liked to be so far from home. no idea if i would have got a place or not though, but i think i would have had a decent chance. anyway my point is I'm bored of durham being simply labelled as an oxbridge rejects haven.
Okay, it all depends on which university you like, and then which of those you think will do you justice.

Virtually every Oxbridge applicant I know. Seems pretty logical too, that if you're applying for the top university in the country your other universities will likely be of similar prestige, apart from 1-2 for backup.

How is it logical? Does prestige automatically mean its going to be a good university for the discipline you wish to choose? Even that reply there youve given me has some very contrasting statements.
You just made my day :biggrin:

Good. Same name too!
Original post by Hippysnake
Good. Same name too!

Really? lol
Reply 55
Original post by petal1991
You know not everybody who goes to Durham is an oxbridge reject. i didn't apply for oxbridge as i knew i wouldn't have enjoyed it there and wouldn't have liked to be so far from home. no idea if i would have got a place or not though, but i think i would have had a decent chance. anyway my point is I'm bored of durham being simply labelled as an oxbridge rejects haven.

I know how you feel. I had the grades etc. to apply to Oxford/Cambridge, but I didn't like the way they do my course and that's really the biggest thing for me. A lot of people don't realise that although all Oxbridge students are smart, not all smart students choose to go to Oxbridge. I do sometimes wonder if I would have got a place, out of sheer curiosity though. Still, I'm happy, as I looked at all of the universities in the country, applied to the universities I liked the best, and am getting to go to my first choice :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by KCosmo
I know how you feel. I had the grades etc. to apply to Oxford/Cambridge, but I didn't like the way they do my course and that's really the biggest thing for me. A lot of people don't realise that although all Oxbridge students are smart, not all smart students choose to go to Oxbridge. I do sometimes wonder if I would have got a place, out of sheer curiosity though. Still, I'm happy, as I looked at all of the universities in the country, applied to the universities I liked the best, and am getting to go to my first choice :smile:

you have summed it up perfectly! I'm at durham, second year, and i really like it so I'm happy with my decision :smile: I'm definitely curious to see whether i would have gotten a place or not but ah well :smile:
Original post by petal1991
you have summed it up perfectly! I'm at durham, second year, and i really like it so I'm happy with my decision :smile: I'm definitely curious to see whether i would have gotten a place or not but ah well :smile:

Best all round choice
Reply 58
Really? lol

Same here :biggrin:
Original post by Miracle Day
WTF.. really?

No, not really.

It's not even really a university. It's a three-year, alcohol befuddled, poorly-regarded sabbatical centre.

Latest