The Student Room Group

My mate hasn't got a degree, yet he's just got a job earning £18,000 p/a....WTF!!?

It makes me feel like what's the point of considering University, especially when he's earning that as a starting salary in the job. As far as I know, it's an Admin type assistant job, which his sister referred him to at her law firm in London. Maybe it is "who you know" and not "what you know" because he's seem to have done okay out of it. He used to work in a Factory doing different duties, from office work to helping in the main factory lifting/carrying/manufacturing etc.

I know he's a single case, but is it even worth getting into debt and going Uni these days? Especially when people can earn £18,000 starting salary in a job like that.
To be fair though, he is 24 years old working in an admin assistant job, but at the end of the day he's earning a decent salary, which could increase. He hasn't even got a degree, he was just working at the same place for a few years before his sister referred him to his new job.

I feel like c**p, because I'm 23 and considering going back into education for 4 more years, yet he's earning a decent salary without a degree or much college study.

What do you think..?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheEnigmaUK
It makes me feel like what's the point of considering University, especially when he's earning that as a starting salary in the job. As far as I know, it's an Admin type assistant job, which his sister referred him to at her law firm in London. Maybe it is "who you know" and not "what you know" because he's seem to have done okay out of it. He used to work in a Factory doing different duties, from office work to helping in the main factory lifting/carrying/manufacturing etc.

I know he's a single case, but is it even worth getting into debt and going Uni these days? Especially when people can earn £18,000 starting salary in a job like that.
To be fair though, he is 24 years old working in an admin assistant job, but at the end of the day he's earning a decent salary, which could increase. He hasn't even got a degree, he was just working at the same place for a few years before his sister referred him to his new job.

I feel like c**p, because I'm 23 and considering going back into education for 4 more years, yet he's earning a decent salary without a degree or much college study.

What do you think..?

I think that this is nothing abnormal. £18,000 a year at 24, for this sort of job is nothing out of the ordinary.
You dont need a degree to become an admin assistant. You don't need a degree to earn £18,000.
This is nothing to be confused about, everyone is different and has different chances, opportunties and skills.

I run a business in Birmingham, and I earn way over that, and I'm 19.

Bascially, you must understand that university doesn't mean you'll get a good job, with a big salary. You create opportunities to some extent, and it looks like he has. But do you really think £18,000 at 24 is a huge achievement? It might be good, better than unemployed people, but come on, is it really worth such a rant?
(edited 11 years ago)
Yep, It's who you know/who knows you...I'm attending more career fairs and networking events now, It's not too late for anyone.
Original post by super.teve
I think that this is nothing abnormal. £18,000 a year at 24, for this sort of job is nothing out of the ordinary.
You dont need a degree to become an admin assistant. You don't need a degree to earn £18,000.
This is nothing to be confused about, everyone is different and has different.

I run a business in Birmingham, and I earn way over that, and I'm 19. Im only in my first year.

What type of business do you run? (I'm just curious :redface: )
18k . . . Thats somewhere between £8 and £9 an hour. That Isnt that not much over the minimum wage? It might be roughly 50% more, but still, adding 50% of not much still gives you not that much. And if he's in admin, there wont be much scope to get promotions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Clare~Bear
18k . . . Thats somewhere between £8 and £9 an hour. That Isnt that not much over the minimum wage? And if he's in admin, there wont be much scope to get promotions.

Minimum wage is £6.08, so assuming a 40-hour week that's £12,646 a year. £18k is nearly 50% more :p:
Reply 6
You know, I can actually practically tell how many red gems an OP has from the thread title nowadays...:holmes:
Original post by Einheri
No, it isn't; it isn't even a third more.
50% of 12 is 6; 6+12=18. :idea:
Original post by someonesomewherexx
What type of business do you run? (I'm just curious :redface: )

Hair, beauty and tanning studio in Birmingham, ah, been running it since it opened, trying to do things differently, it's okay, nothing amazing, but growing fast.
It's good experience for now, at least :P
Original post by TheEnigmaUK

What do you think..?

Maybe he's earnt it. I have a friend who finished school but I don't think she did anything after that. She did a few jobs in her home country of New Zealand and lived and worked in Cape Town, then she came to London. She started off selling sandwhiches and now I think she actually earns about £20,000 give or take doing internet marketing and research. Hell she's surpassed me easily.
So with a bit of training and bit of luck I think it's true to say that further education isn't always the definitive route.
Reply 10
Original post by Einheri

It's 50% more than 12'000, because 50% of 12'000 is 6'000.

To work out how much more something is you don't use the new figure. Did you never go to school?
I'm earning about £17,000 per annum and I'm 22, and I don't have a degree. Is that classed as being abnormal? I'm not sure, but I had to work hard to get to this point, as I did almost two years of unpaid voluntary work in order to gain worthwhile experience prior to applying to jobs in the NHS/healthcare industry. If you work hard and stay committed you will definitely get there. Just stick in, and instead of looking at your friend's position and saying "that's not fair, he/she earns more than me" instead say "He's done well for himself by working hard for years, maybe I can do the same?" and then use this as motivation to lift yourself up the career ladder.

Salvation lies within, my friend.
A degree doesn't always = money. It's the safest route to a secure career, yes. But degree or no degree, if you put in hard work, you get places.
Original post by DanLorenzo
A degree doesn't always = money. It's the safest route to a secure career, yes. But degree or no degree, if you put in hard work, you get places.

Well said my friend.
If you think about it in the long term, you will have the degree so potentially you could be earning more than £18k once the economy picks up.
18k isn't a whole lot of money. And I can't imagine in admin type jobs the potential earnings are sginificantly greater than the UK average. Obviously there's exceptions to the rule though.

As someone stated depending on the type of degree it doesn't necessarily mean higher earnings, but most degrees do help you to acheive higher that you otherwise would have. I know a few people that got good degrees and walked into a graduate scheme earning £30k starting sarlary jobs. One of my best mates finished an engineering degree last summer and is now earning £43k base salary with a yearly income of roughly £48k depending on how much overtime he does and he is only 24. It depends on many factors.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
OP, what is it that you find surprising? 18k is perfectly fine, but it's nothing special. I don't think anybody should be going to University with a target earning potential of 18k in mind.

Original post by someonesomewherexx
Yep, It's who you know/who knows you...I'm attending more career fairs and networking events now, It's not too late for anyone.

Simply not true. If you know somebody that is going to offer you a job then obviously that helps, but it isn't a requirement to getting a good job. If you're worth hiring you'll find a job.

Original post by Einheri

Lol. Nice maths :colondollar:

Original post by charlie9872
Do remember we're talking about London here, 18k won't get you very far there, average salary there is around £10000 higher than the rest of the UK. But anyway, 18k at 24 is pretty normal - even without a degree, really would expect them to be on more than this if they've been working since leaving school. Also, as you said his sister recommended him, you need to realise contacts get you places. If you are relatives/friends with someone with there foot already in the door and someone respects your opinion they're going to listen to you.

A degree isn't everything - 6 years experience can account to much more than a impressive piece of paper. The only type of graduates that can expect to walk into a high paid job will be Oxbridge, LSE, ICL etc.. and even then its not guaranteed.

I agree with most of what you said, but disagree with the final sentence. Graduates from Oxbridge etc don't just walk into high paying jobs, this is pretty common knowledge. Let me correct that sentence for you;

"The only type of graduates that can expect to walk into a high paid job are the able ones."

:wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by M1011
OP, what is it that you find surprising? 18k is perfectly fine, but it's nothing special. I don't think anybody should be going to University with a target earning potential of 18k in mind.

Simply not true. If you know somebody that is going to offer you a job then obviously that helps, but it isn't a requirement to getting a good job. If you're worth hiring you'll find a job.

Lol. Nice maths :colondollar:

I agree with most of what you said, but disagree with the final sentence. Graduates from Oxbridge etc don't just walk into high paying jobs, this is pretty common knowledge. Let me correct that sentence for you;

"The only type of graduates that can expect to walk into a high paid job are the able ones."

:wink:

Agreed, but it's not always the case..not ALL able people get the jobs they want, that's where the help comes in. :smile:
My brother doesn't have a degree and he got offered a £35,000 a year job in the rail industry, but had enough in his locker to turn it down to pursue a degree in Transport Management. So its not a big deal what you're moaning about frankly.
An £18k job in London is nothing to crow about, all credit to him for getting the job, but it's very much entry-level.

Latest

Trending

Trending