The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArafatQ
So would you say that's 3 marks for attempting each proof by induction? Thanks for the reply, I need your guys advice xD

Yes maybe full marks if you wrote your induction step small and scribble but clearly showed the final answer you know they "wanted"
Original post by NoahMal
Yes maybe full marks if you wrote your induction step small and scribble but clearly showed the final answer you know they "wanted"

Thanks man, just gotta hope for the best! Good luck for C2! :smile:
Original post by ArafatQ
Hey guys, I feel really bad, I just freaked out on Friday and made so many mistakes. I would love it if someone could tell me how many marks I could have lost:

Q1) I let the determinant = 0 and I even wrote K^2-1=0 but I never actually calculated K. - Total marks in question: 3
Q8i + ii) I wasn't able to prove either of the two statements but I made it look like I did. I also included all the steps e.g Basis, Assumption, Inductive (made it look like I know what I was doing) and the Conclusion. - Total marks in question: 10
9c) I got the right equation but in terms of P. I did not find the value of p but the equation is correct. - Total marks in question: 3.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how many you think I lost.

Here is how many I think I lost:
Q1) 1 mark for not solving.
Q8) 4 marks for not doing inductive step. (assuming examiner spots my mistakes)
Q9c) 2 marks for not getting p and not substituting it.

You will have lost 2 for Q1. Sorry do not know how to put in a spoiler but my teacher is a senior examiner for this FP1 Paper as such had seen the provisional mark scheme for Friday's paper. No he did not show us the official provisional Mark scheme but he did say that the last accuracy Mark on Q1 was for rationalising the denominator of the surd - so reject the answer in the form one over root 2. Accept the answer in the form a half root 2.
Does anyone know why Arsey has removed his solutions? (And that thread is closed.)
Original post by ombtom
Does anyone know why Arsey has removed his solutions? (And that thread is closed.)

Edexcel copyright most probably

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatCleverAsian
I have written down the model answers and gone through it with my teacher. if you want them let me know!!

Hi can you send me the model answer for fp1 , thank you. :smile:
Original post by Khoinet
Hi can you send me the model answer for fp1 , thank you. :smile:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYbTQyd0JGRmRUc3M/view
No not at all! I got a low B last year in FP1, (73 UMS) but the rest of my modules were high enough that I still got an offer from cambridge for engineering, so I am sure youd be fine! I resat FP1 this year and it is so much easier once youve done FP2/FP3 so I would recommend retaking, which you are able to do.
Original post by roseelwy
No not at all! I got a low B last year in FP1, (73 UMS) but the rest of my modules were high enough that I still got an offer from cambridge for engineering, so I am sure youd be fine! I resat FP1 this year and it is so much easier once youve done FP2/FP3 so I would recommend retaking, which you are able to do.

That's so pleasing to hear! I want to do Engineering too at Cambridge!
Wow for 7e, I'm surprised they allowed that it was an enlargement of scale factor 2 followed by a translation :biggrin: I think that might just be 75 in FP1 :smile:
Any realistic grade boundary predictions for this paper?
Original post by SB0073

64 -> 100 ums
61 -> 90 ums
57 -> 80 ums (A)
52 -> 70 ums
Original post by SB0073

73 -> 100 ums
66 -> 90 ums
61 -> 80 ums (A)
55 -> 70 ums
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NoahMal
73 -> 100 ums
66 -> 90 ums
61 -> 80 ums (A)
55 -> 70 ums

ok thank you, hopefully its a little lower by 1 or maybe 2. Seemed quite a bit more difficult than last year.
Original post by NeverLucky
Wow for 7e, I'm surprised they allowed that it was an enlargement of scale factor 2 followed by a translation :biggrin: I think that might just be 75 in FP1 :smile:

I'm also just really glad that they allowed R^2 = I for Q.6(e); I was really fretting about FP1 - it's probably still my lowest raw mark!
Original post by kingaaran
Mark Scheme...

Is that actually the real thing? How did you manage to get hold of it? Does your teacher mark some of the papers or something? :biggrin:
Original post by mupsman2312
Is that actually the real thing? How did you manage to get hold of it? Does your teacher mark some of the papers or something? :biggrin:

Most of the Edexcel mark schemes have been available to teachers for a few weeks
Got into Cambridge for Maths! First in my school to ever go to Cambridge and Highest ever results in 5 subjects, topped off with some insane STEP results :smile:
Original post by ImTooSmart
Got into Cambridge for Maths! First in my school to ever go to Cambridge and Highest ever results in 5 subjects, topped off with some insane STEP results :smile:

Your username makes me question your sincerity. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending