The Student Room Group

Would I be stupid to turn down Cambridge?

Yesterday I received an offer from Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The very high pressure/intensity working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I think I'd have more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

EDIT - I should have made this clearer: I am NOT just thinking about my social life being better at Manchester. I am not trying to imply that i wouldn't have a social life at Cambridge. I was basically asking if it's worth doing a course I don't like as much at a city I don't like as much in order to have potentially better opportunities later in life.

UPDATE
A few people have asked me what I ended up doing so I thought I would update this thread. I did go back and visit both places in the end and after many sleepless nights I firmed Cambridge. Manchester didn't impress me as much the second time around and whilst I still think I would possibly have enjoyed the environment more at Manchester, I'm going to university primarily for education, and Cambridge is where I will receive the best education. I've put Birmingham (AAA) as my insurance as if I miss the Cambridge offer I will more than likely have missed the Manchester offer too.
Thank you to everyone who contributed!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackspur

Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.
Reply 2
if you think you'd be better off at manchester, pick that? oxbridge isnt for everyone and it'd be better to go somewhere you like?
Its like picking a secondary school? did you pick it cos you liked the school or cos it was the best in the country?
from what you said, go for manchester
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester.
Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

The bold bit alone is, IMO, why you should reject Cambridge and go to Manchester.
Reply 4

The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

Not at all, lots of people choose to decline an offer from Cambridge/Oxford. If you honestly preferred Manchester to Cambridge, then go to Manchester. Even though Cambridge obviously has a better reputation, that wouldn't be reason alone to go. You're going to have to spend at least the next 3 years at university, so you might as well go to somewhere enjoyable!
Plus, if you ever feel like you missed out, you could always go to Cambridge to do a Masters :smile:
Reply 5
Go where YOU yes you think you'll feel more comfortable. All the best in the decision making. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by im so academic

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

thats a little OTT isnt it? sure if the OP felt more comfortable at manchester, they should go there? they have got to be there for the next 3/4/5 years?
Original post by TheSownRose

Original post by TheSownRose
The bold bit alone is, IMO, why you should reject Cambridge and go to Manchester.

You can't get an accurate view of Manchester or Cambridge from within a space of a few hours on interview day.

Especially when he says "I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester". He's pretty much implying that he won't have fun at Cambridge - but where does he base that from? The "geeky stereotype" of Cambridge?
Reply 8
If you think you'd be happier at Manchester, do it. Physics is a niche degree, and Manchester is a redbrick. Your career will do fine out of Manchester - it's an amazing university :smile:

If you're unsure, go to post-offer days. You don't have to decide until like May or something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Snavej
thats a little OTT isnt it? sure if the OP felt more comfortable at manchester, they should go there? they have got to be there for the next 3/4/5 years?

Based on a few hours perception?

I don't think that warrants an individual to reject on that basis alone really.
Reply 10
Please don't let yourself get blinded by prestige like so many on here (I know many IRL like that too). If your heart's not in it, then don't accept the offer. Manchester is a respectable university anyway - it doesn't have to be Oxbridge-or-bust.
Don't do anything you might regret.
Reply 12
Blah blah blahBut you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

Seriously. Calm the fudge down.

If OP feels they'll be better off at Manchester then so be it, just because you get an offer from Oxbridge it does not mean your obliged to accept it.

Jheez TSR's getting worse by the day.
It's your decision; some people might think you were stupid for deciding against Cambridge but what you need is the right decision for you.

Give it some time and mull it over; you don't want to regret it later. Don't forget that you can go back and see Cambridge/Clare again - also, you can contact them and talk it through if what's putting you off is concerns about the workload, social life etc. or if you need to ask more questions about the course. It won't be the first time and the tutors may well be willing to talk with you and perhaps arrange a visit, a chat with current students, etc which could help you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Oh, no this again.

Would you care if he'd applied to Edinburgh and later decided that it wasn't the right place for him, and decided to firm Glasgow instead?

You can't get an accurate view of Manchester or Cambridge from within a space of a few hours on interview day.

Especially when he says "I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester". He's pretty much implying that he won't have fun at Cambridge - but where does he base that from? The "geeky stereotype" of Cambridge?

What is he supposed to base it on instead - your preference for Oxbridge and reputation on TSR?

Speaking as someone who lives in Cambridge, you have to make your own fun here. He's basing it on his own perception, which is better than anyone elses'.
He's pretty much implying that he won't have fun at Cambridge - but where does he base that from? The "geeky stereotype" of Cambridge?

The fact you have the crest in your Pic with a glitter heart around it says all he needs to know tbh.

I'll just put my two cents in that I'm a final year Manchester Physics student and the course is fantastic and the teaching brilliant pretty much across the board. By the time you graduate the difference in reputation may not be as great as you think, the department is very much on the up (Nobel Prize 2010 etc.)
You sound like you want to go to Manchester.
The day that 'im so academic' gets rejected from Cambridge or Oxford will be lulz.
Reply 19

First, he isn't implying he would not have fun at Cambridge. Thinking you'd have more fun in one place is different from saying you'd have no fun in the other.

Second, you're an AS level student. You have no idea how much work is involved in studying at Cambridge.

The OPs reasons for preferring Manchester are his own, and if he's concerned about the workload that is, to my mind, a reason to seriously consider turning down the Cambridge offer. University is about studying, but it's not about studying alone. A person who wants to be in a big city, at a big uni, might well find Cambridge tough. It's not a big place, the nightlife is entirely different from a place like Manchester, and the workload is immense. It really isn't for everyone. Moreover, and from the only perspective which you seem to consider (academics), it's a lot easier to thrive and do well when your situation is generally happy. A miserable student is a student who does poorly.

(I love it there--but people really need to know what they're in for when they apply. It's a different experience from studying at other unis, and while the level of education is stellar, Manchester is a great uni and people can get a great education there, too. I say this as someone with a degree from a top-ranked uni: Cambridge is really different.)

TheSownRose
x

You're entirely right on this one.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest