The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If they decide you need a laptop you are allocated one usually.
Reply 2
they have, just curious what it may be
Reply 3
Your report should outline what the recommendation is.
Reply 4
I got a Toshiba Satellite - despite the quote from the supplier that SFE used saying that it would be a Dell.
I was allocated a Toshiba, but instead bought a Macbook Pro to which they paid £600 towards.
Mine doesn't say what type of laptop but then again I am clueless when it comes to technology so would I be able to find out from what it says?:

WKH 15" Laptop Computer, Intel Core i3 2.26 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, 15.4" TFT Screen, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Lan & WiFi.
Reply 7
Catherine,

I also got that description. Have you received your laptop yet? What did it turn out to be?

Thomas
Reply 8
How easy is it to get the DSA to pay towards a laptop that I choose rather than the Needs Assessor choosing one for me?

My current laptop is only half working, it's a good six or seven years old and things like the internet connection on it cuts out all the time, the disc drive doesn't work etc. I've had problems with the hard drive. Its safe to say it's on it's last legs and a new one was recommended to me when I was diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia so I assume the needs assessor will support this and recommend one.

My problem is I've always had a Sony brand laptop since I can remember and I like the way they are made and some of the features etc. I don't really like change and keeping to the same brand will help me to adjust to a new laptop. I doubt this is enough to persuade the needs assessor to recommend a Sony laptop but how easy is it to get DSA to contribute to a laptop of my choosing rather than going for whatever stock laptop they'll supply?
Reply 9
Original post by pipsi
How easy is it to get the DSA to pay towards a laptop that I choose rather than the Needs Assessor choosing one for me?

I've been told it's difficult. I was going to do this (because the prices of their laptops are ridiculous) and was told that I'd have to sort out the warranty, etc.
Original post by thomasms
Catherine,

I also got that description. Have you received your laptop yet? What did it turn out to be?

Thomas

Hi, yeah I have, it's a Lenovo B570.
Reply 11
Original post by Catherine13
Mine doesn't say what type of laptop but then again I am clueless when it comes to technology so would I be able to find out from what it says?:

WKH 15" Laptop Computer, Intel Core i3 2.26 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, 15.4" TFT Screen, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Lan & WiFi.

This is the standard WorK Horse laptop spec most students get- make and model is irrelevant as the assessors and suppliers only work to a spec.
Reply 12
Original post by OU Student
I've been told it's difficult. I was going to do this (because the prices of their laptops are ridiculous) and was told that I'd have to sort out the warranty, etc.

Prices of the laptops are actually subsidised and VAT free.
I got a MacBook Pro 15" recommended by my assessor, so I got that and didn't have to pay extra.
Original post by NJones
Prices of the laptops are actually subsidised and VAT free.

I'm aware of that.
How did you get the MacBook Pro?
How much did you have to pay yourself?
Original post by ChrisFranklin6
How much did you have to pay yourself?

Way to resurrect an old thread
Original post by bullettheory
I got a MacBook Pro 15" recommended by my assessor, so I got that and didn't have to pay extra.

What course are you doing? I'm doing graphics and interactive multimedia and use final cut pro at college - which the assessor brought up and then he's suggested a windows machine!!

WKH15 laptop (screen size 15.6, i5, 5th gen (Broadwell), any processor speed, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, Intel Graphics HD 4600, Windows 8.1 64bit, max weight 2.8Kg)

He asked me if i wanted a laptop or desktop and i said a laptop would be easier due to lack of room but whatever runs the software the best. It's like he didn't actually listen to a word i said.
Original post by Adeel Ali
Way to resurrect an old thread

Oh yeah, I didn't notice the dates on this! Just a bit old...

Latest