Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster 2012 Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by connorgallagher9
Got a letter in the post the other day

"Thank you for your application to Music at Lancaster University. In advance of the formal notification that you will receive through the UCAS system, I am delighted to say that we are recommending that the University make you an offer of a place. Before, doing so, we must make you aware that there have been some changes to the structure of this scheme for entry in 2012, some of which you may know already. For more information visit etc etc..."

I'm assuming that this is an offer, because I'm already aware of the changes. Can someone confirm?

They've invited me for an open day on 14th March which isn't too much of a bother because I live in Lancaster anyway :P

Yes I got this and my offer arrived a couple of days later on UCAS,

I think maybe they send the letter when they notify UCAS and it just takes a few days to process?

Congrats tho!! :biggrin:

I got invited for an open day with my offer as well. I really don't know whether to go or not, it's spending quite a bit of money I don't really have! Obviously the Uni is pretty 'suave' :wink: but in your opinion as someone that lives in Lancaster what's it like as a city? :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Kaytee

I think maybe they send the letter when they notify UCAS and it just takes a few days to process?

I got invited for an open day with my offer as well. I really don't know whether to go or not, it's spending quite a bit of money I don't really have! Obviously the Uni is pretty 'suave' :wink: but in your opinion as someone that lives in Lancaster what's it like as a city? :smile:

Congratulations on your offer! I moved to Lancaster to go to university and I've never left! My circumstances were probably different to yours but I had three small children when I started and they're now at one of the best schools in the country sitting their GCSEs and A levels.

Lancaster is a very safe city and I always found it to be.very friendly. The shopping is a bit, well, rubbish really....but Preston is only one stop on the train and the train from Lancaster goes directly to Manchester.

The nightlife in Lancaster is perhaps on the quieter side and if you like anything alternative there isn't much going on.

It's a very pretty city. Williamsons Park is lovely. It's a great city if you're the outdoor type, plenty of cycling, the Lake District is only a few miles away and there's all sorts going on there.

If you enjoy the hustle and bustle of Manchester then you'll certainly not find that in Lancaster but I love it here and never regretted my decision to stay.

All the best for your future studies.
Original post by Kaytee

I've lived in Lancaster all my life and to be completely honest I adore Lancaster as a city. It's one of those places that is small enough to get from one end to the other in about 10 minutes on foot, but big enough to have a bit of hustle and bustle to it. Being a musician, I also do alot of gigs in the local pubs and clubs, and there's so many nice pubs with friendly staff and you often see the same people out in the town. In terms of convenience, there's alot of supermarkets in the area that are fairly cheap and the transport isn't that bad either. Nights out are fairly cheap, but some of the more typical nightclubs can be a bit skanky, for example, elements. But on the whole it's a great place to be, you'll meet people when you're a student there and you'll get to know alot of people very quickly.

Are you thinking about putting Lancaster as your firm choice?
Also, what course did you apply to?

Thanks
Connor :biggrin:
Reply 824
Original post by connorgallagher9
I've lived in Lancaster all my life and to be completely honest I adore Lancaster as a city. It's one of those places that is small enough to get from one end to the other in about 10 minutes on foot, but big enough to have a bit of hustle and bustle to it. Being a musician, I also do alot of gigs in the local pubs and clubs, and there's so many nice pubs with friendly staff and you often see the same people out in the town. In terms of convenience, there's alot of supermarkets in the area that are fairly cheap and the transport isn't that bad either. Nights out are fairly cheap, but some of the more typical nightclubs can be a bit skanky, for example, elements. But on the whole it's a great place to be, you'll meet people when you're a student there and you'll get to know alot of people very quickly.

Are you thinking about putting Lancaster as your firm choice?
Also, what course did you apply to?

Thanks
Connor :biggrin:

Hey Connor,

I've not really been to many cities as I live in like on the outskirts of a teeeny town in the middle of the countryside, so I don't really know what I'm looking for in a city if you understand what I mean!
I'm liking the sound of it being relatively small, and I'm not at all fussy about the skanky nightclubs (You should see my local club :wink: ) or the community vibe as I think I'd prefer that to being alone in a huge city away from lots of friendly faces.
Really I think I may be slightly over analysing all this!! But it's an important decision isn't it? I mean it's 3 years of my life!

But yes thank you for being honest and giving me the low down on Lancaster. It's what I need really! Or i would be blaming you if I got there and I didn't like it.. And as you've said it's a small place i could easily hunt you down :biggrin:

To answer your questions, Yes I'm really thinking about firming it but I'm more then a little confused over what to decide just at the moment!
And I have an offer for Politics, Philosophy and Economics :biggrin:

Thanks for all your help!
Looked round for the second time today...had an applicant day and loved it! :biggrin:
still going to decide between Essex and Lancaster (for Philosophy) but Lancaster seems more likely at the moment!
Original post by JordanS94
Hey I don't meet the requirements either :wink: I'm predicted AAC and I need AAB
I got a letter in the post saying that they recommend that I get offered a place :/ don't know if I've got a conditional or what :frown: I haven't been given an interview like other people so I think it's a conditional :smile: (my UCAS hasn't updated)
I applied December 2nd and got the letter February 2nd. So there is no need to worry took me 2 months to get my reply :wink:

Don't worry, when I applied I got exactly the same letter and got an offer and so did my friend who got in. Basically it is just that admissions are run centrally so the departments send you a letter telling you they've told the admissions department to give you an offer... which unless they find some reason they can't admit you (e.g. something on your record) they will give you an offer. The admissions department here can be VERY slow though so I wouldn't worry too much, if you've got that letter you've pretty much got an offer! Congratulations!
Original post by lampshade1
Looked round for the second time today...had an applicant day and loved it! :biggrin:
still going to decide between Essex and Lancaster (for Philosophy) but Lancaster seems more likely at the moment!

My friend is currently a first year Politics and Philosophy major and absolutely loves it! He hasn't really said a bad thing about his course yet (except the compulsary "oh no I've got a 1500 word essay due tomorrow and haven't done it" sort of talk!
The great thing about Lancaster is that you take 3 subjects in your first year (if you are doing an arts subject) so it gives you the chance to try something new or just pick options that relate to philosophy (my friend is doing religion as his minor). Though sometimes the minor system can be annoying (i.e. you can end up doing a subject you don't like for a year) I think it definitely helps you decide what you want to do and to have a more broad knowledge overall!
Original post by bownessie

Original post by bownessie
My friend is currently a first year Politics and Philosophy major and absolutely loves it! He hasn't really said a bad thing about his course yet (except the compulsary "oh no I've got a 1500 word essay due tomorrow and haven't done it" sort of talk!
The great thing about Lancaster is that you take 3 subjects in your first year (if you are doing an arts subject) so it gives you the chance to try something new or just pick options that relate to philosophy (my friend is doing religion as his minor). Though sometimes the minor system can be annoying (i.e. you can end up doing a subject you don't like for a year) I think it definitely helps you decide what you want to do and to have a more broad knowledge overall!

I know! I LOVE that you can do other subjects :biggrin: I'm going to do Politics with Philosophy for definite :smile: then either keep up my spanish or do religious studies, not sure yet! but Essex will let me do that too..and their courses are so similar! so hard to choose!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 829
Hi I'm new to the forum and have searched the site and managed to find some threads on gaining offers from lancaster but none for my particular course which is Accounting and Management studies (NN24) I'm getting kind of worried now that they don't even run that course at all. Has anybody received an offer for this course at lancaster? Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
Ben
Reply 830
Going to a Biology y/a open day on March 3rd.

Surprised its only just over 2 hours long. The others I've been to/been invited to are 6-8 hours...
Reply 831
Heyy, defo gonna be firming Lancaster, I applied for English Literature and Creative Writing and I went to the open day last wednesday and the University looked great! :smile:

AAA offer though... I'm hoping I can get that, but how leniant do you think they'll be if I mess up on one of exams? Like I got AAC at AS last year and even though I don't think I'll do as badly as a C this year, it's perfectly possible that I end up with a B... D:
Reply 832
Any transfer students been accepted yet? I got an unconditonal for the BA Human Geography course (year 2 entry) today, so happy :smile:
Reply 833
http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/lancaster-university-open-day/

I went to the applicants day on Wednesday and found out quite a lot of useful information. I've included most of it on my blog above! :smile:
Reply 834
Media and Cultural Studies :smile:

Anyone else applying for the same degree?
Reply 835
Original post by benpeyton
Hi I'm new to the forum and have searched the site and managed to find some threads on gaining offers from lancaster but none for my particular course which is Accounting and Management studies (NN24) I'm getting kind of worried now that they don't even run that course at all. Has anybody received an offer for this course at lancaster? Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
Ben

Ofcourse they still run the course
So I fell over and sprained my ankle in front of my interviewer for Biomedical Science. :frown:
Original post by Holby_fanatic
So I fell over and sprained my ankle in front of my interviewer for Biomedical Science. :frown:

You might get the sympathy vote :wink: they wont forget you :smile:
Reply 838
Original post by benpeyton
thanks
Ben

I've also applied to the same course and haven't received a decision yet. Don't worry too much about it, they have until the end of March to reply, so they could just be taking the full time they are allowed to consider applications.

Hope you get an offer soon
Original post by Holby_fanatic

At least you've made an impression! They'll remember you over other applicants, think of it that way. ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending