The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oxymoronic
No, they rent out the accommodation during the summer for the Edinburgh festival so they'd be looking to make a lot more money per night than you would be paying them during a normal tenancy. You could sub-let someone else's room for a month in August if you wanted to be in the city then - there's always plenty of stuff for rent for a short period on the internet, particularly during the summer.

Okay, I see. Do you know any useful website where I could find stuff to rent? Cheers.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by pinouche13
Okay, I see. Do you know any useful website where I could find stuff to rent? Cheers.

My son found his flat through these people http://www.benproperty.co.uk/ and says they're very good landlords. The flat is lovely, too.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
My son found his flat through these people http://www.benproperty.co.uk/ and says they're very good landlords. The flat is lovely, too.

Thanks,
How much was it, out of curiosity? I've checked and it is very expensive... Plus it's always several bedrooms.
Thanks,
How much was it, out of curiosity? I've checked and it is very expensive... Plus it's always several bedrooms.

Seriously - if you don't get how it works then read the OP for advice. That's what this thread is here for!
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Seriously - if you don't get how it works then read the OP for advice. That's what this thread is here for!

Sorry boss! Being interested in finding an accomodation in Edinburgh the odds I've read the OP are high but thanks for the advice.

Obviously - if i'm asking questions it's probalby because I didn't find what I wanted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks,

It's a 2 bed flat and it's about £750 a month between them. I think that's probably about average. At least that's what he tells me....
Nowhere that is s/c is particularly far from the city centre. Even Warrender, which might be considered further away, is less than 20 minutes walk from Princes Street.

^
that's really reassuring to know actually! i was a bit on the fence with warrender because it looked so lovely but at the same time quite a bit of a walk from the city centre.

a quick question, what exactly is the student id number you're supposed to enter for your accommodation application? the only 'number' i have is my euclid username :s-smilie:
Sorry boss! Being interested in finding an accomodation in Edinburgh the odds I've read the OP are high but thanks for the advice.

Obviously - if i'm asking questions it's probalby because I didn't find what I wanted.

In fairness, if you're querying stuff like their always being several bedrooms, you clearly haven't read the OP (or #2 or #3, which are both highlighted as being important to read in the OP). There's a lovely list there of places you can look privately for accommodation such as citylets and gumtree. We can answer specific questions for you - generalisations like "how do I find a flat?" we will not answer. oxymoronic's suggestion that you sublet from someone for a month (if you must arrive early) was a good one.

Don't take offence - it's just if there's specific information you're after it would be better to ask for it! If you want general stuff then do a little research first before asking specific questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 208
College Wynd, Darroch Court, East Newington Place, Kincaids Court, Meadow Court, New Arthur Place, South College St/Nicholson St, Robertsons Close, Sciennes, South Clerk Street, Warrender Pk Rd, Warrender Pk Crescent. They're all comfortably within 15 minutes walk of the university's central area and under 20 to Princes Street. But you need to understand that there's a lot going on around the university and in the city's southside - you don't need to go to the middle of town as part of your day-to-day. Personally, I stayed in Warrender Pk Rd, which had its pluses and minuses, but it was in a nice area. Some of the other stuff that is more central will be affected by noise.

Thanks for being so helpful! I'll definitely keep all of this in mind!
Original post by dizzeedollee
a quick question, what exactly is the student id number you're supposed to enter for your accommodation application? the only 'number' i have is my euclid username :s-smilie:

Does that start with s12xxxxx?

If so, that will be your matric number when you come to Edinburgh. It will form part of your uni email address, will be your exam number and quite literally everything you ever do in terms of admin will be related to that matric number. Everyone has them related to their year of entry, so I was s06xxxxx as I started in 2006.

It's a 2 bed flat and it's about £750 a month between them. I think that's probably about average. At least that's what he tells me....

Yeah that would be broadly average, perhaps a wee bit above average but not by much. I always paid a wee bit less than that (around the £320 mark) but I generally had cheaper accommodation than other people I knew and also, I am very aware that I left university a couple of years ago now so I imagine average prices are probably around the £340-360 mark if I'd hazard a guess. When I was at Edinburgh a lot of people I knew were paying in excess of £400 a month. I'd imagine that's a lot more common now.

Yeah that would be broadly average, perhaps a wee bit above average but not by much. I always paid a wee bit less than that (around the £320 mark) but I generally had cheaper accommodation than other people I knew and also, I am very aware that I left university a couple of years ago now so I imagine average prices are probably around the £340-360 mark if I'd hazard a guess. When I was at Edinburgh a lot of people I knew were paying in excess of £400 a month. I'd imagine that's a lot more common now.
He says he saw worse flats for more money, so I'm ok with that. Also, he lets us stay in it, and it's nice enough for me to want to, so free holidays in Edinburgh!
He says he saw worse flats for more money, so I'm ok with that. Also, he lets us stay in it, and it's nice enough for me to want to, so free holidays in Edinburgh!

Some of them are really over priced. I think its related to the expensive accommodation at Pollock Halls being crazily expensive so therefore people think that paying £400 a month is really cheap as they've been paying in excess of £150 a week in halls as first years. Two bed flats tend to be nicer generally though as there's no HMO required. I think landlords have to pay for that and its compulsory so if they have to pay for that they've got less money to spend on upgrading the flat, for example. Also, two bed properties tend to be more popular with final years/postgraduates/recent graduates so again they tend to be a higher quality than the typical student flats because they're aimed at a more picky/more experienced market of renters rather than second years who are more concerned about the number of bedrooms and are more likely to put up with things like poor plumbing in the bathroom or lower quality furnishings as they don't know any different.

I need to find friends in Edinburgh. Pretty much all of my friends have moved on now so my number of friends in Edinburgh is getting pretty smaller. I still have some friends there but a lot of people have moved away for work with the intention of moving back there long term (like I plan to do). I hate the idea of paying to stay in a hotel in Edinburgh because its Edinburgh and that doesn't feel like something I should have to do. Such is life!
Reply 212
Thanks,

Flats in Edinburgh are kind of expensive unless you're prepared to compromise. For example, my flat next year is £795 between three people, but at that price there's usually a downside like it'll be far away or the kitchen/bathroom will be really small. It just depends on what you want to live with to save money...
Also, two bed properties tend to be more popular with final years/postgraduates/recent graduates so again they tend to be a higher quality than the typical student flats because they're aimed at a more picky/more experienced market of renters rather than second years who are more concerned about the number of bedrooms and are more likely to put up with things like poor plumbing in the bathroom or lower quality furnishings as they don't know any different.

It's his second year in Edinburgh but I imagine it's because he's a cosseted soft southern jessie that he's picked somewhere nice. I am so thrilled that he has decided to pick to live somewhere decent, because frankly, if you'd seen the state of his bedroom, it didn't look likely.
Reply 214
Hi,

I applied for University of Edinburgh but I was wondering whether I should apply now for accomodation ? Do I need an offer ? (still pending)

Thanks =)
Original post by RockU
Hi,

I applied for University of Edinburgh but I was wondering whether I should apply now for accomodation ? Do I need an offer ? (still pending)

Thanks =)

Wait for an offer.
Hi, I'm a prospective medical student for 2013 entry, and I'm just curious, but what type of food is served in catered accommodation (e.g. at Pollock (I think?) Halls)? I'm just interested to see what you get to eat and etc. I read online something about the JMCC, is this the restaurant/company which caters for the students?

Anyone mind posting what meals are common/what they last had?

P.S. I realise that it's not a reason to choose a university, but it's just intriguing :tongue:
Reply 217
Do people who insure Edinburgh apply for accommodation too?
Original post by Gales
Do people who insure Edinburgh apply for accommodation too?

They do if they want somewhere to live if/when they end up there :wink:
Reply 219
They do if they want somewhere to live if/when they end up there :wink:

Haha, thanks! It's just I've received no info about it. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending