The Student Room Group

My trousers wear through at the crotch within 6 weeks

Hi. For years now every pair of trousers or shorts I get wears right through at the crotch within about 50 days of use. I don't do anything too crazy in them - I cycle 0 to 3 miles per day, I walk about the same, and the rest is just sitting down basically. I'm not over-weight and I don't feel that my thighs rub together or anything.

Repairs aren't possible because the material thins out a lot before failing and I'd need to put a big patch on them, and by then the shape has been lost and they look weird anyway.

It's an expensive and annoying problem, because it's quite hard for me to find clothes I actually like, and then in a month or two they're done.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can you think how I could stop it?
Reply 1
Original post by NB_ide
Hi. For years now every pair of trousers or shorts I get wears right through at the crotch within about 50 days of use. I don't do anything too crazy in them - I cycle 0 to 3 miles per day, I walk about the same, and the rest is just sitting down basically. I'm not over-weight and I don't feel that my thighs rub together or anything.

Repairs aren't possible because the material thins out a lot before failing and I'd need to put a big patch on them, and by then the shape has been lost and they look weird anyway.

It's an expensive and annoying problem, because it's quite hard for me to find clothes I actually like, and then in a month or two they're done.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can you think how I could stop it?

Where do you buy your shorts and trousers from?

If you wear jeans, then obviously Levi's is a good quality brand which should last longer than 50 miles.
Or...

You have nanoscale spikes near your crotch area which cuts the fabric down?
Schlong?
Why not wear jeans when you need to be doing cycling?
I think someone's showing off :smug:
Reply 5
u big? :ahee:
Reply 6
Original post by tehforum
Where do you buy your shorts and trousers from?

If you wear jeans, then obviously Levi's is a good quality brand which should last longer than 50 miles.
Or...

You have nanoscale spikes near your crotch area which cuts the fabric down?

I've had all kinds of brands - basically £50 or £5, they all fail in the same way after the same time. It's ONLY that area and for example the jeans I'm wearing now are in nearly-new condition except for a hole now big enough to... well, I don't know. Too big.

Original post by notastampcollector
Schlong?

Yes please.

Original post by Electronica
Why not wear jeans when you need to be doing cycling?

Well I sometimes do.

Original post by R4INBOW
u big? :ahee:

small or average
Maybe your bike seat is extra abrasive or something? I wear really cheap jeans and cycle about 6 miles every day in them and I haven't worn a whole through a pair before they've broken somewhere else. Not really sure why you're getting this problem. Perhaps you should get some dedicated cycling shorts and change.
Reply 8
Original post by hothedgehog
Maybe your bike seat is extra abrasive or something? I wear really cheap jeans and cycle about 6 miles every day in them and I haven't worn a whole through a pair before they've broken somewhere else. Not really sure why you're getting this problem. Perhaps you should get some dedicated cycling shorts and change.

I don't know if it's the cycling, I can't say. It seems reasonable that it might be, but I remember I DID have this problem before I had a bike, back at university. But perhaps not so badly, I don't remember.

Wearing special clothes to cycle in would be a massive pain seeing as I mostly just cycle for short-distance commuting and getting "around town".
Reply 9
If you're having trouble finding clothes you actually like, you could just buy several pairs at a time (although this doesn't solve the cost issue)

Quick Reply

Latest