The Student Room Group

Will unis care that I re-sit some AS modules in my A2 year?

This year at AS I am predicted AAAbb (Bs in biology and chemistry). I know that unis will not consider me with those grades, so I was thinking of re-sitting the modules I did bad in next year.
Will unis reject me because of this? Is my dream of becoming a doctor over? :'(
Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
This year at AS I am predicted AAAbb (Bs in biology and chemistry). I know that unis will not consider me with those grades, so I was thinking of re-sitting the modules I did bad in next year.

Universities do consider applicants who have b's in Biology and Chemistry at AS, the predicted grades are far more important. You are fine to resit modules next year in order to improve your overall grade.
Yeah you'll be fine :smile: I got Bs at AS and still ended up with an offer so if I can do it so can you :biggrin:

And as for the resitting question - no. The only unis that do care about your AS grades are UCL and Cambridge, and I heard that Birmingham flat out rejected people with less than straight As. But the vast majority don't give a damn so you'll be fine :smile:
I got bcde at AS, and with retakes etc need BBB for firm/BCC for insurance. If I couldn't retake, I'd have no chance.
Reply 4

I would avoid UCL when applying as they made it very clear on their website that applicants with modular resits will be at a disadvantage. All the other medical schools are fine with it tho, provided all your modules were taken within 2 years. :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
I would avoid UCL when applying as they made it very clear on their website that applicants with modular resits will be at a disadvantage. All the other medical schools are fine with it tho, provided all your modules were taken within 2 years. :smile:

Ah, thank you!!! That's such a relief. I thought I was doomed.
So if i re-sit my AS modules in A2, will this mean I'll have to apply a year after everyone else, (i.e. skip the first UCAS cycle because of my grades and my almost certain rejection)?
Ah, thank you!!! That's such a relief. I thought I was doomed.
So if i re-sit my AS modules in A2, will this mean I'll have to apply a year after everyone else, (i.e. skip the first UCAS cycle because of my grades and my almost certain rejection)?

Not necessarily. As long as your predictions are 3A+ then you have a decent shot :smile: if you dont get predicted AAA then it'll be almost impossible (unless you apply to places that compare you with your school average)
Original post by tania<3
Yeah you'll be fine :smile: I got Bs at AS and still ended up with an offer so if I can do it so can you :biggrin:

And as for the resitting question - no. The only unis that do care about your AS grades are UCL and Cambridge, and I heard that Birmingham flat out rejected people with less than straight As. But the vast majority don't give a damn so you'll be fine :smile:

Congratulations for getting that offer! :smile:
So did you apply in the first UCAS cycle, or did you have to skip it?
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what subjects and grades altogether did you get at AS?
Original post by tania<3
Not necessarily. As long as your predictions are 3A+ then you have a decent shot :smile: if you dont get predicted AAA then it'll be almost impossible (unless you apply to places that compare you with your school average)

Yes, well. Unfortunately my chemistry teacher refused to predict me an A at A2. So I am therefore planning on:
Missing this UCAS cycle and not bother applying (as you said, I will almost certainly get rejected with my B in chem)
Retaking the modules I did bad in AS, next January at A2 and bumping up my grades to straight As at A2
Then reapply next UCAS cycle, not upcoming one but the one after, so I have a higher chance of getting in.
What do you think?
Congratulations for getting that offer! :smile:
So did you apply in the first UCAS cycle, or did you have to skip it?
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what subjects and grades altogether did you get at AS?

Thanks :biggrin: just now have to get the grades... :redface:

I'm in Year 13 so yeah, applied in the first ucas cycle :smile:

I got A in Biology and Bs in Chemistry, Maths and Economics, initially. Maths and Econ were one UMS off; Chemistry was 6. I retook C2 and Chem unit 2 so now its AAAB :smile:
Yes, well. Unfortunately my chemistry teacher refused to predict me an A at A2. So I am therefore planning on:
Missing this UCAS cycle and not bother applying (as you said, I will almost certainly get rejected with my B in chem)
Retaking the modules I did bad in AS, next January at A2 and bumping up my grades to straight As at A2
Then reapply next UCAS cycle, not upcoming one but the one after, so I have a higher chance of getting in.
What do you think?

How can your teacher refuse to predict you an A at A2 when you haven't got your results yet??? :confused: That seems overly harsh and unfair!

A2 predictions are based on what you attain at AS... unless I'm guessing your January exams/coursework say that you'll get a B?

One of my friends was predicted by her teachers to get a D at AS for chem and turned out with an A! Surely if you do well they will change it?

Otherwise, if you're stuck with the B, I would still apply, but maybe to foundation courses and a backup course. Because obviously theres still the unfortunate chance you might not get AAA at the end of A2, then you wouldn't want to waste a gap year... Ive made the mistake of not having a backup (but its kinda motivated me more to get my As :tongue:) The experience is useful as well even if you dont get in. Also if you are predicted A*AB you might have a shot at certain unis which give A*AB offers.

After you get your A2 results you will be at an advantage when you apply, so yeah would be a good idea :smile: but obviously, try and work as hard as you can for AS. A2 chem is a bitch so it really helps maxing out your UMS from AS...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tania<3
Thanks :biggrin: just now have to get the grades... :redface:

I'm in Year 13 so yeah, applied in the first ucas cycle :smile:

I got A in Biology and Bs in Chemistry, Maths and Economics, initially. Maths and Econ were one UMS off; Chemistry was 6. I retook C2 and Chem unit 2 so now its AAAB :smile:

Wow, well done for pulling that off!
Were the unis aware of the fact that you were very close to As? Do they take that into consideration at all?
Original post by tania<3
How can your teacher refuse to predict you an A at A2 when you haven't got your results yet??? :confused: That seems overly harsh and unfair!

A2 predictions are based on what you attain at AS... unless I'm guessing your January exams/coursework say that you'll get a B?

One of my friends was predicted by her teachers to get a D at AS for chem and turned out with an A! Surely if you do well they will change it?

Otherwise, if you're stuck with the B, I would still apply, but maybe to foundation courses and a backup course. Because obviously theres still the unfortunate chance you might not get AAA at the end of A2, then you wouldn't want to waste a gap year... Ive made the mistake of not having a backup (but its kinda motivated me more to get my As :tongue:) The experience is useful as well even if you dont get in. Also if you are predicted A*AB you might have a shot at certain unis which give A*AB offers.

After you get your A2 results you will be at an advantage when you apply, so yeah would be a good idea :smile: but obviously, try and work as hard as you can for AS. A2 chem is a bitch so it really helps maxing out your UMS from AS...

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!
Well, I didn't do well in my ISA, and I got a U in unit 1. (didn't open my book) :frown: so she obviously wouldn't predict me an A lol :tongue:
I'm predicted As in my four other subjects, but chem this year has been a mess... Hence why I'm planning to resit all chem modules next year.

What is a backup? :s-smilie:

Also, why would I be at an advantage when I apply at the end of A2? I thought I would be at a disadvantage - people have always told me unis frown upon AS modules in A2...

Thanks and sorry for the question bombardment.

Aha what a coincidence...I was thinking exactly this earlier on :tongue:

I was thinking, if my school didn't cash my AS grades in and I was predicted straight A's...would I still have a chance or would they still want to know about AS?
Reply 14
Original post by PrincessMedic
Aha what a coincidence...I was thinking exactly this earlier on :tongue:

I was thinking, if my school didn't cash my AS grades in and I was predicted straight A's...would I still have a chance or would they still want to know about AS?

Most universities will place more emphasis on A2 predictions than AS results. However, you should still declare all your AS grades on your UCAS application. Your school "cashes" in AS grades to the examination board, not UCAS iirc (this is so that your AS modules can be carried forward into your A2 year).
Original post by Vulpes
Most universities will place more emphasis on A2 predictions than AS results. However, you should still declare all your AS grades on your UCAS application. Your school "cashes" in AS grades to the examination board, not UCAS iirc (this is so that your AS modules can be carried forward into your A2 year).

Ahh right, thank you :smile: I heard that some schools don't cash in grades until you finish the A level? I read on one of the threads about declaring AS grades on UCAS, that you don't have to declare your AS grades unless they have been cashed in? That's what's confusing me...if they're not cashed in, how are the subjects carried into A2? :confused:
Reply 16
Ahh right, thank you :smile: I heard that some schools don't cash in grades until you finish the A level? I read on one of the threads about declaring AS grades on UCAS, that you don't have to declare your AS grades unless they have been cashed in? That's what's confusing me...if they're not cashed in, how are the subjects carried into A2? :confused:

They should be cashed in. Anyways, you MUST declare all your grades on your UCAS form. Your offer is based on the information given to the universites via UCAS and your offer can be withdrawn if they find out you have not disclosed certain aspects of your application (like a grade C in Art at GCSE).

Better safe than sorry :smile:
Wow, well done for pulling that off!
Were the unis aware of the fact that you were very close to As? Do they take that into consideration at all?

Nah I don't think they knew. It occurred to me after applying that maybe I should have had it written in my reference just how close I was, but then it would have begged the question "well if you were so close why didn't you get it"... xD

I'm really not sure if they consider it at AS, but at A2 even if you miss your offer by one mark, unis can be really harsh about it... so I don't know :/

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!
Well, I didn't do well in my ISA, and I got a U in unit 1. (didn't open my book) :frown: so she obviously wouldn't predict me an A lol :tongue:
I'm predicted As in my four other subjects, but chem this year has been a mess... Hence why I'm planning to resit all chem modules next year.

What is a backup? :s-smilie:

Also, why would I be at an advantage when I apply at the end of A2? I thought I would be at a disadvantage - people have always told me unis frown upon AS modules in A2...

Thanks and sorry for the question bombardment.

Ahh okay... are you retaking unit 1 this summer? I know you've said you're gonna retake in January but you havent said if youre retaking anything now..?

People say they will retake stuff at A2, but the thing AS students don't realise is that how difficult it will be... because the workload at A2 is pretty much double that at AS, so you need to revise everything in enough time so you don't end up neglecting your A2 subjects. Just a bit of advice :smile: however, you will find AS modules sooo much easier so you should do well in them. Also, retake Unit 2 exams (if you have to) in June... If you retake any Unit 2 exam in January, grade boundaries tend to be slightly higher. It's cause you're gonna be going into the exam with a bunch of retakers, so they will be naturally better :tongue:

By a backup I mean a non-medicine choice (biomed seems to be the standard one, but its up to you) so just in case you don't get in, you still could go off to uni (and maybe do grad entry med instead).

No only a handful frown upon them, UCL and Cambridge and maybe Birmingham, not the vast majority. You'd be at an advantage at applying once you have your A2 grades because you'll be applying amongst a load of 17/18 year olds who only have predicted grades. Actual grades > predictions :smile:

No worries! I enjoy being able to help with any questions you guys had - god knows I wouldn't have gotten in without the vast amount of help this forum gave me xD
Original post by Vulpes
They should be cashed in. Anyways, you MUST declare all your grades on your UCAS form. Your offer is based on the information given to the universites via UCAS and your offer can be withdrawn if they find out you have not disclosed certain aspects of your application (like a grade C in Art at GCSE).

Better safe than sorry :smile:

Ahh ok, I understand now :smile: What if your AS grades aren't that great? Would you recommend taking a gap year and then applying, once your AS grades have improved and you have your A2 grades? Can universities see that you have retaken AS modules after cashing them in? So sorry for all the questions! :redface:
Reply 19
Ahh ok, I understand now :smile: What if your AS grades aren't that great? Would you recommend taking a gap year and then applying, once your AS grades have improved and you have your A2 grades? Can universities see that you have retaken AS modules after cashing them in? So sorry for all the questions! :redface:

Resitting your AS or A2 modules after sitting your A levels (within 2 years) is NOT advisable. You will be considered a "resit" applicant and many universities will not accept your application unless you can provide extenuating circumstances. Universities will be able to see everything on your UCAS form but not anything that was "cashed in" to the examination board as they operate separately from UCAS. Universities will only receive a transcript of your A level grades (not specific module grades) from your exam board on results day. However, they will find out if you have taken a module multiple times (this is generally fine provided you have taken all your modules within a 2 year period).

There are a few other medics on this forum who have taken gap years and reapplied so they will be able to give you more information on that (if you browse around).

Quick Reply

Latest