The Student Room Group

German to English Translation - WW2 personal note within 1939 Mein Kampf (1st ed)

Hi,

I have this book, 1939 publication of Mein Kampf (1st ed.) which has an interesting note in the start of the book. Could anybody translate the following for me? Would be good to know what it says.

Any idea how much this is worth also?

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't read the handwritten note too well but I can translate the first page for you if you'd like.
Original post by hannah_dru
Can't read the handwritten note too well but I can translate the first page for you if you'd like.

That would be brill thanks. It would be nice to know if / who it was issued to and who from (I'm presuming this is what it is?).
Reply 3
Original post by Bleak Lemming
That would be brill thanks. It would be nice to know if / who it was issued to and who from (I'm presuming this is what it is?).

The first page says:

"As acknowledgement and thanks for the fighters who sacrificed their lives in the great wars and during the struggle for the Third Reich, we hereby issue Mr. Hans Rammanat (I think that's the right name) the book of our Fuehrer, Adolf Hitler.

[Stamp: The agricultural bank of Schleswig Holstein
Limited liability association]"

That second page is gonna bug me. The last line is definitely a signature.
The first page says:

"As acknowledgement and thanks for the fighters who sacrificed their lives in the great wars and during the struggle for the Third Reich, we hereby issue Mr. Hans Rammanat (I think that's the right name) the book of our Fuehrer, Adolf Hitler.

[Stamp: The agricultural bank of Schleswig Holstein
Limited liability association]"

That second page is gonna bug me. The last line is definitely a signature.

Brilliant, thanks! I've googled the name but must not be anybody of interest. I think it's Hans Rammonat but I've googled both.

All I can make out from the second page is mür, maybe?? :P
Reply 5
Brilliant, thanks! I've googled the name but must not be anybody of interest. I think it's Hans Rammonat but I've googled both.

All I can make out from the second page is mür, maybe?? :P

You're welcome :smile: Can't find anything either.

I think it's "mir" (me) so it's some kind of personal note I think.
Wow, where did you get this copy from?
(edited 11 years ago)
You're welcome :smile: Can't find anything either.

I think it's "mir" (me) so it's some kind of personal note I think.

Original post by arnoob
Wow, where did you get this copy from?

Something which was in the loft as a child. I think they're quite common, however I think the fact that mine is a personal issue with some sort of a personal note makes it quite rare.

If you copy and paste http://www.site-fusion.co.uk/files/writeable/uploads/webfusion35297/image/img_4005.jpg into your browser it's a much larger image, may be easier to read?
Reply 8
Something which was in the loft as a child. I think they're quite common, however I think the fact that mine is a personal issue with some sort of a personal note makes it quite rare.

If you copy and paste http://www.site-fusion.co.uk/files/writeable/uploads/webfusion35297/image/img_4005.jpg into your browser it's a much larger image, may be easier to read?

Was also gonna ask that as it could've given a clue.

Really struggling to read it unfortunately, sorry :frown:
Was also gonna ask that as it could've given a clue.

Really struggling to read it unfortunately, sorry :frown:

No problem, thanks for what you have done tho :smile:

Sure :smile:

Do you think you could type up the last page in german as best you can? From that we might be able to make a sensible assumption of hat is actually written!
Original post by GreenLantern1
Do you think you could type up the last page in german as best you can? From that we might be able to make a sensible assumption of hat is actually written!

http://www.site-fusion.co.uk/files/w...e/img_4005.jpg if you type that link in your browser it's a huge version (life size, if not bigger) of the image.
Reply 13

My mum is Austrian and has very similar handwriting to that so I'm gonna ask her if she can decipher it tomorrow, I'm intrigued!! As someone who works with old books and manuscripts I can tell you that's an interesting find!
http://www.site-fusion.co.uk/files/w...e/img_4005.jpg if you type that link in your browser it's a huge version (life size, if not bigger) of the image.

Oh I already looked at that size! This guy has really rough handwriting - worse than mine - und mein ist schlecht!
Original post by _becca
My mum is Austrian and has very similar handwriting to that so I'm gonna ask her if she can decipher it tomorrow, I'm intrigued!! As someone who works with old books and manuscripts I can tell you that's an interesting find!

Fingers crossed! I'm quite excited :smile: I'm really interested myself. Feels good to have a piece of history, would be amazing if I could find out who the man that it's been issued to is.

Original post by GreenLantern1
Oh I already looked at that size! This guy has really rough handwriting - worse than mine - und mein ist schlecht!

Thanks anyways :frown:
Edit:

Edit:

:O so jealous!
Original post by music lover
:O so jealous!

:biggrin: i love it! you got any good finds?
:biggrin: i love it! you got any good finds?

Sadly not, but i want that :O XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending