The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do any medical schools like loads of work exp or is that a myth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemauricien

Posted from TSR Mobile

The ones that focus more on personal statement tend to yes, its not a myth but people do exaggerate a tad.

You should really have some relevant work experience and some relevant voluntary work though as at interview it is a very key factor to reflect upon, it also meets most universities non-academic criteria of "commitment and dedication to medicine" which at non PS heavy unis is assessed at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rather than listing your column of experiences, it is also important to know about what you have learned whilst gaining them.Medical schools are quite keen on reflection and how that made you want to become a doctor.
I did a WE in year 10 (hospital). Is it worth writing down?
Original post by champ_mc99

If you learnt something from it and can reflect on it well, then yes!
Original post by Gogregg
If you learnt something from it and can reflect on it well, then yes!

Thanks mate. :h:
Original post by champ_mc99

Can you do WE in a hospital in year 10? Where did you do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
Can you do WE in a hospital in year 10? Where did you do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barts Radiography. :smile:
Original post by Lewishier
I'm thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would anyone be interested?

Count me in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much every medical school wants you to have done some form of work experience or general career exploration. But it's not quantity that matters - a couple of days shadowing a GP will be enough! The main thing is reflection.
Hi, so my GCSE's were 6 A* and 4 A and UKCAT 616.6. I'm looking at Leicester which scores those two factors to give a mark out of 48 this year. My score would be around 39-39.5, do you think that would be worth applying with? Thanks to anyone who can help :smile:
Original post by Irukandji5
Hi, so my GCSE's were 6 A* and 4 A and UKCAT 616.6. I'm looking at Leicester which scores those two factors to give a mark out of 48 this year. My score would be around 39-39.5, do you think that would be worth applying with? Thanks to anyone who can help :smile:

It's hard to say. The scoring system has changed this year due to, so it can't easily be compared with the cut offs for previous years. If I had to guess, I'd say that it would be a risk, but that is just a guess.
Original post by Irukandji5

Ditto to the above post, its hard to compare this year as the scoring systems have changed so last years cut offs will be of no use in comparison.
I would probably say it would be a great risk, many applicants would be applying with higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
It's hard to say. The scoring system has changed this year due to, so it can't easily be compared with the cut offs for previous years. If I had to guess, I'd say that it would be a risk, but that is just a guess.

Original post by Natalierm2707
Ditto to the above post, its hard to compare this year as the scoring systems have changed so last years cut offs will be of no use in comparison.
I would probably say it would be a great risk, many applicants would be applying with higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah since my UKCAT score is quite low I'm just trying to see what options are available but I'll look around some more, but again thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the uni, it's better to have too much than not enough in my opinion. If you're applying to a very academic university where more weight is on grades and UKCAT then perhaps they just want a small amount of quality, but many unis want to see that you can commit to something long term and really know what you're letting yourself in for. If you have a year of experience in a care home for example, a not particularly pleasant or exciting environment it really shows that you're keen and someone with grit. They don't want someone who's gonna drop out when they can't handle it :smile:
Hi,

I've been looking at medical schools and I'm finding it quite hard to decide where to apply and where I'd be most competitive. My AS were AAABB and I got 10A* 2As for GCSE and a UKCAT average of 737. I was wondering about Oxford but are my GCSEs good enough?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Original post by Lynn101
Hi,

I've been looking at medical schools and I'm finding it quite hard to decide where to apply and where I'd be most competitive. My AS were AAABB and I got 10A* 2As for GCSE and a UKCAT average of 737. I was wondering about Oxford but are my GCSEs good enough?

When I applied, Oxford used the proportion of A*s at GCSE and used a persons percentage relative to other applicants. They also considered the amount of A*'s achieved. THis was combined with the BMAT. Your GCSEs should be fine.
Original post by Lynn101
Hi,

Well done on amazing grades.
Oxford work on a percentage of A*s at GCSE and then formulate a total score using BMAT.
With a high UKCAT like yours you should look into some UKCAT heavy universities like Newcastle, Durham, Manchester, queens Mary's and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
I just got my gcse results and got 9A*s. Would this be enough for oxbridge and Birmingham for medicine?
In addition, i went to a fee paying private school in Leicester , but on a scholarship- my family has an extremely low income; would this influence my chances in any way, as well as my student loan amount?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am thinking of doing the a levels business, economics and sociology but I don't know where to go from that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending