The Student Room Group

Law at University FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarkP.
First thing you want to establish is whether or not you want to do an LLB in law or not. If not that conversion from one subject to another would be fairly easy. If you want to do an LLB (course that allows you to practice law) then conversion is near impossible from another course. I know of someone who has currently got a degree and is now doing a law degree in 2 years just by covering the basic modules.

I'm looking at doing a geography/english degree and then a GDL (conversion). Would this not qualify me to do Law?
Is there anyone studying law at Exeter on here??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
Does anyone know the best way to file work doing a Law degree? I mean should I buy lever arch files, ring binders, or document wallets? Or anything completely different? Thanks :smile:
Hi,

I am a law undergrad and have been given my first contract essay to do, however I am finding difficulties on how to approach it, i.e. what style should I write it in? For and against?
And what kind of points should I make?

The question is 'To what extend do judges establish the existence of a contract based solely on the intention of the parties?'

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Ilydia
Does anyone know the best way to file work doing a Law degree? I mean should I buy lever arch files, ring binders, or document wallets? Or anything completely different? Thanks :smile:

I would say it's down to personal preference. I am half way through the second year of my law degree and I have one a4 notebook with dividers for my lecture notes, and each module has a seperate section (I keep my lecture notes fairly neat so I don't have to rewrite them). Then I have an a4 notebook for every module to do seminar prep in, make any general notes and keep any sheets in. Then I have a ring binder folder for revision, with the dividers to seperate each subject. I also find flash cards quite useful when revising to write case names and important legislation on. Hope this helps and doesn't sound too crazy/ excessive :-)
Reply 165
Currently at Bristol studying law, happy to help if anyone has any questions
Original post by Wrf95
Currently at Bristol studying law, happy to help if anyone has any questions

hi, I'm am going to uni in September to study law, how hard are the essays you are given? And how do you find the exams?
Original post by dickinson458
hi, I'm am going to uni in September to study law, how hard are the essays you are given? And how do you find the exams?

How long is a piece of string. Depends how clever you are. Helps if you have some common sense, can analyse and deal with things logically. If you are at law school then presumably its becayse you were capable enough to get the grades. I wouldnt worry.
Reply 168
Original post by dickinson458

We aren't given too many essays - some practice essays but mainly we are given two coursework essays to do in january and march. You definitely need to put the work in to get a good grade, but i wouldn't say the coursework essays were impossible! Though having said that i think the average in our year was around 55%, with 9% getting a first so you just definitely need to work hard. A lot of people (the person above included) seem to think oh i've got into law school so i must be able/smart enough, which I'm sure is true, but it is far more down to how much work you actually put in than just being naturally smart. As I'm a first year i'm yet to sit my final year exams, but the mocks in january were good - problem questions are fine, essay questions you definitely need to revise into the theory of law etc a lot.
If anyone is studying law LLB at the UEA and is in their first year, would it be possible to look at a timetable? Was just wondering what the timings are like and how many hours there are roughly a week.
Is it risky to apply to 4 LNAT uni's; i was getting 25-28 in practice. Also do essays or MC have stronger weighting? Personally felt my essays were stronger.
(edited 7 years ago)
Final Chapter:
Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
I will take my time to firm. Learning towards Liverpool and Manchester.
I have picked History, Maths and Sociology but I do not know if these subjects are good enough to study law at a Russell Group University. Also is Sociology seen as a 'soft' subject?

Thank You x
(edited 7 years ago)
Those subjects are fine
Reply 174
Original post by charlott3
I have picked History, Maths and Sociology but I do not know if these subjects are good enough to study law at a Russell Group University. Also is Sociology seen as a 'soft' subject is I pick it?

Thank You x

Those are fine. People will usually recommend to pick essay based subjects for Law.
I also want to study Law at a Russell Group Uni and I've chosen English Lit, History, and Religious Studies. For Law it is a safe bet to say you should have at least 2 essay-based subjects, and having an English A level is extremely well respected, so if I were you I would perhaps consider dropping either Maths or Sociology for English Lit or Lang, or maybe even take it as a fourth if you think you can handle the work load. Good luck! X
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and beginning to apply for sixth forms. I am 80% sure that I would like to go into law in the future, as I love writing, analyzing and overall I think I would enjoy it. My picks of A levels are currently English Lit, History, Biology and Psychology. English, History and Biology are my favorite subjects, and obviously History and English are good for law. I really love Biology, which is why I put it as an option as well, but is it suitable for law? Psychology I'm very uncertain about, is it looked down on by top unis like Oxbridge? I genuinely think I would enjoy all of these subjects, but wouldn't mind changing one for something like maths or chemistry if it was REALLY needed. Thanks!
English Literature
History
Politics

Prob the best combination.
Original post by Aklaol
English Literature
History
Politics

Prob the best combination.

I don't think where I want to go does politics! Any other good subjects?
Original post by flosiphy
I don't think where I want to go does politics! Any other good subjects?

Modern languages are always good. I'm in Year 13 but I remember going to a sixth form open evening and they recommended French, History, English Lit and Philosophy for Law since they're seen as good subjects. I don't see any problem with picking Law as an AS/A2 either.

Quick Reply

Latest