The Student Room Group

Sounds like a stupid question, but why don't peole take LSD?

On Wikipedia, it says LSD is less physically addactive and does less physical harm than Marijuana, alcohol and tobacco. Why then would a lot of people not take it? The only real reason I can think of is because the high lasts upto 12 hours, but surly many people would like to experience it?

Also, with regards to flash backs, there has been much research into their causes and effects and there has been little evidence that they even exist.

Scroll to see replies

Like you said, its most likely a time factor. Its suprisingly difficult to find 12+ hours of uniterupted free time.

There is a staggering amount of bull**** and misinformation surrounding hallucinogens. I suspect the myths and scare stories probably put a lot of people off too.
Original post by Conor C
On Wikipedia, it says LSD is less physically addactive and does less physical harm than Marijuana, alcohol and tobacco. Why then would a lot of people not take it? The only real reason I can think of is because the high lasts upto 12 hours, but surly many people would like to experience it?

Also, with regards to flash backs, there has been much research into their causes and effects and there has been little evidence that they even exist.

Why would I want to take drugs?

Even better, why should I take drugs?

Do they convey any intellectual benefits, benefits for longevity, positive benefits to my constitution...etc etc...?
Reply 3
Because it's illegal? Plus I'm not really interested in hallucinogens.
If you had ever taken LSD you would know the answer.
I heard you that for some people the effects never wear off. :afraid:
Reply 6
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£

Do they convey any intellectual benefits, benefits for longevity, positive benefits to my constitution...etc etc...?

Drugs can make you happy and feel good.... and isn't that the fundamental reason why any of us do anything? (we work/study so that we can have a higher quality of life, so that we can be happy, not worry about anything and feel good).

Although I think you might have been baiting/trolling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Its culture. People take the drugs that the culture they are in accepts.

But if we are talking about the pros and cons of the drug itself, then the fear of a Bad trip puts many people off. I have never had a bad trip before, but during the trip I have had small tastes of what it may be like to have a bad one.

If you can handle it, its quite an experience, but I do not condone it in any way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by qkyintshwr
Drugs can make you happy and feel good.... and isn't that the fundamental reason why any of us do anything? (we work/study so that we can have a higher quality of life, so that we can be happy, not worry about anything and feel good).

Although I think you might have been baiting/trolling.

Coffee also makes you "happy" - it does not mean that I should drink it in order to be so.
Reply 9

Well I know these are rhetoric questions :tongue: But you know all those great poets/artists/writers etcetc. Many great and respected people got the inspiration for their greatest works under the influence...

You ask about health benefits. The compound THC in cannabis is supposedly an anti-cancer agent and some small studies suggest that it can help calm autistic people so they can lead relatively normal lives.

Let's not forget sativex the spray for MS that has been licensed recently. That's based on cannabinoids. Obviously it's not the same as just toking up, but the medical potential of some of these drugs are amazing and it's a shame that such a small amount of research has been conducted - probably due to the stigma of their illicitness.

Clearly there are reasons illegal drugs are illegal. But most of them were used at one time or another for medical purposes and some still are. eg cocaine and heroin.

I just wish people could have an adult discussion about illicit drugs and their potential. Unfortunitly people can't see through the steriotypes and this thread will probably go the way of every other. Mis-information and propaganda by the anti-drug brigade.

Just to clarify I am not advocating drug use. I am merely a scientist and see the future value in them.
Reply 10
If they aren't physically addictive, that doesn't mean they aren't mentally addictive.

What I mean is that if you think "It's alright, I won't get addicted to it, i'll do it again" you'll end up doing it all the time because you aren't worried about getting addicted. That'll eventually make your everyday life involve taking the drugs, and you will become mentally addicted to them because it's 'normal' for you. It's just like one of those bad habbits which are really hard to shake, only worse.

I have no problem with people taking drugs to experiment by the way. It's everyone's own choice if they want to risk it, but you shouldn't make it sound safer than what is actually is. People should know the risks of what they're doing/considering.
Original post by Kamenoko
Well I know these are rhetoric questions :tongue: But you know all those great poets/artists/writers etcetc. Many great and respected people got the inspiration for their greatest works under the influence...

You ask about health benefits. The compound THC in cannabis is supposedly an anti-cancer agent and some small studies suggest that it can help calm autistic people so they can lead relatively normal lives.

Let's not forget sativex the spray for MS that has been licensed recently. That's based on cannabinoids. Obviously it's not the same as just toking up, but the medical potential of some of these drugs are amazing and it's a shame that such a small amount of research has been conducted - probably due to the stigma of their illicitness.

Clearly there are reasons illegal drugs are illegal. But most of them were used at one time or another for medical purposes and some still are. eg cocaine and heroin.

I just wish people could have an adult discussion about illicit drugs and their potential. Unfortunitly people can't see through the steriotypes and this thread will probably go the way of every other. Mis-information and propaganda by the anti-drug brigade.

Just to clarify I am not advocating drug use. I am merely a scientist and see the future value in them.

And many artists/writers etc also do their best works without them.

Anyway, those "benefits" are all well and good, but if I wanted anti-cancer benefits, I could easily opt for a seemingly safer alternative like carrots, green vegetables or fruits etc.

Once again, I simply see no point of even trying drugs - they seem arbitrary and unnecessary to my life at the moment.
Reply 12
Probably something to do with it at least temporarily scrambling your mind, making your body incredibly numb during its effects and at periodic times up to a few months later. There is the potential that your concentration could be reduced, that you are unable to look people straight in the eye because you have seen perceptions that they do not know and that you think that they see these strange perceptions in your eyes.

You do not see fantastic Tim Burton / Dali surrealness. It's just like your perceptions have been slowed down so that it's like you're looking at a picture book animation flickering and you have awful numbness. Of course in such a state your life (and that of anyone near you) could potentially be in some danger, not only from the possibility that your tablet might have been spiked with a more immediately physically harmful drug but from potentially misjudging your surroundings like the speed of moving vehicles. Some people might think that they have put themselves in a more safe place but if a gang of people came up to them they would be potential mincemeat because they wouldn't be able to fight back / run away in proper control.

The problem in trying to convince people not to take them is that some really cleverly creative people have taken them - e.g. The Beatles, Brian Wilson. But consider- thse people were already really creative by the age of 15. Why would you bother messing with that? In those case their creativity MIGHT have been further enhanced for a very short period of time but , come the 1970s, their creativity was becoming a shadow of its former self. That might be coincidence (the 60s were special in general for some artists compared to the 70s) or it might not. And for Brian Wilson LSD, coupled with his sensitive disposition, left him emotionally at sea for a while. It makes a very interesting story in retrospect but, unless you're lucky enough to already be in a world famous band, it's possibly not advisable in terms of securing a full future, unless your idea of that is to be a bit of a recluse which few girls have the patience for.

I would say that it's fairly conclusive that they cause depression and a certain confusion in dealing with other people (mild paranoia maybe) and that could turn lethal if it gives no sense of hope for the future or a sense that, whilst you may be in touch with your intellect, you might have no sense of being in touch with the emotions of anyone but yourself.

Mushrooms are a fungus. We know that some poisionous ones can kill so , unless it's a normal common day one you're buying in Sainsburys, you're dicing with things that are, fairly objectively, not necessarily meant to be consumed in any way.

If you want to have a great imagination immerse yourself in books and films and your own thoughts, not drugs. None of the Monty Python team ever significantly (or at all as far as we know) took drugs. Drugs cause lethargy and, more than highs and lows, they just cause dull flatness. If you want to make a name for yourself being creative, you'll stand more chance if you have the ability to turn up on time and be consistent (as they were- they worked normal 9-5 hours) and alert and clearly outwardly inquisitive (rather than just inwardly inquisitive) because then other people will invest time in you and it will give you confidence and possibilities.

If you've already taken it though don't beat yourself up about it- it's in the past. It doesn't say in the Bible about drugs like these. Maybe there are some positive effects but I don't suggest that it is worth that chance because there are definitely some negative effects. Just do the best with where you are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Matt1992
If they aren't physically addictive, that doesn't mean they aren't mentally addictive.

What I mean is that if you think "It's alright, I won't get addicted to it, i'll do it again" you'll end up doing it all the time because you aren't worried about getting addicted. That'll eventually make your everyday life involve taking the drugs, and you will become mentally addicted to them because it's 'normal' for you. It's just like one of those bad habbits which are really hard to shake, only worse.

I have no problem with people taking drugs to experiment by the way. It's everyone's own choice if they want to risk it, but you shouldn't make it sound safer than what is actually is. People should know the risks of what they're doing/considering.

I agree. Many argue weed is not addictive, just because it is not Physicly addictive. They fail to recognise the mental addiction that accompanys any pleasure.
However, I belive that its hard to apply this to LSD, as the tolerance experienced is so dramatic. If you take a concentration of LSD one night, then the same the next night, You will not feel the effects.
Reply 14
And many artists/writers etc also do their best works without them.

Anyway, those "benefits" are all well and good, but if I wanted anti-cancer benefits, I could easily opt for a seemingly safer alternative like carrots, green vegetables or fruits etc.

Once again, I simply see no point of even trying drugs - they seem arbitrary and unnecessary to my life at the moment.

I wasn't trying to convince you otherwise!

The compounds are different in fruit and veg. That's kinda like comparing actual medicinal anti-cancer drugs (sativex) to fruit and veg.
Are you saying that if you had MS you wouldn't take prescribed sativex just because it's sourced from cannabis?
Reply 15
It can cause people to develop schizophrenia?
Reply 16
Because tons of times people go ape sh** and kill themselves.

BUTTT. if i took LSD i'd totally do it during a flaming lips concert.
Reply 17
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I agree. Many argue weed is not addictive, just because it is not Physicly addictive. They fail to recognise the mental addiction that accompanys any pleasure.
However, I belive that its hard to apply this to LSD, as the tolerance experienced is so dramatic. If you take a concentration of LSD one night, then the same the next night, You will not feel the effects.

I know, that happens with shrooms too. Don't you think that would just make people take more and more of it though? Or do you think it'd just be a deterrent into taking it at all?
Reply 18
Original post by Addzter
I heard you that for some people the effects never wear off. :afraid:

I also heard that if you say "gullible" backwards, It sounds exactly the same :eek:

OP:

1. LSD has become a VERY hard drug to get hold of (at least, in my area)

2. People are put off because it is a class A drug

3. People aren't interested in tripping
Reply 19
Its a really dangerous drug.

I've heard stories of some people, the affect didn't wear off, if you take it while you're mentally unstable/depressed it can do serious damage and there has been cases of people not coming out of it.

I know one famous muscision (can't remember his name, some old guitarist or something) took LSD, and had halucinacions so bad, he didn't come out of it, and spent 25 years believing he was in a black hole, literally and he could not escape......he spent 25-30 years in his room believing he was in a deep black hole.

Scary stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending