The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

The Jumbo "Which College" Thread

Pretty self explanatory, I'm still deciding which university to go to (between Lancaster and Surrey atm)
I want to get a degree obviously but I also want it to be an incredible 3/4 years. Obviously Guildford is pretty central compared to Lancaster. But I'm from rural west Wales so most likely be better that way.
I know there's a college system at Lancaster and I want to know from past experiences which one is the most exciting? and what things you do from nights out, day trips and sporting activities, which colleges are best for what?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Matty707
Pretty self explanatory, I'm still deciding which university to go to (between Lancaster and Surrey atm)
I want to get a degree obviously but I also want it to be an incredible 3/4 years. Obviously Guildford is pretty central compared to Lancaster. But I'm from rural west Wales so most likely be better that way.
I know there's a college system at Lancaster and I want to know from past experiences which one is the most exciting? and what things you do from nights out, day trips and sporting activities, which colleges are best for what?

honestly? all the same. there are what you make of them. each college will have its loud and quiet people. its just down to were you want to be. Cartmel, for example, is considered a quiet college. but i can assure you its not. however it is situated as far away from the main campus as you can get. which makes the college itself quiet as only people from cartmel are around that area. however, as mentioned. this has no impact on the liveliness of the college itself.

likewise, fylde is considered the sporty college, but i know many people in fylde who dont even know what a football is.
again, lonsdale the party college, and again, i know people in there who are teetotal.

have a look around the uni and just pick the area that takes your fancy. its all down the gut instinct and where you think youll be most comfortable. it doesnt matter what people are in the college this year, as the majority of people you meet will be freshers just like you!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Like Drinking?

Like Banter?

Furness.
Original post by Davott
Like Drinking?

Like Banter?

Furness.

Well, everywhere else is nowhere - after all. :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm from Guildford but go to Lancaster Uni. The change is quite big as Guildford is a lot busier than Lancaster town. The night clubs aren't(*Edit) that good in Guildford and they are a lot more expensive. Surrey and Lancaster both have new sport centres, they're literally exactly the same. People are a lot nicer in Lancaster than Guildford, just lots of guys who think they are hard down south, but you get used to it. Surrey is a good Uni depending on your course, but I don't think that it has as close knit community like Lancaster; the college system is really good and you make friends really easily (as long as you are in halls).

For me when I was choosing my college I picked the one closest to where my lectures would be - Furness. (Obviously the best!!!) Turned out pretty well as it is pretty much the centre of campus next to the takeaway and Spar and all the shops. But it doesn't matter too much which college as everyone has a good time, and during freshers they all have different schedules of nights outs and stuff.

Hope that Helps!

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PlopNofear
I'm from Guildford but go to Lancaster Uni. The change is quite big as Guildford is a lot busier than Lancaster town. The night clubs are as good in Guildford and they are a lot more expensive. Surrey and Lancaster both have new sport centres, they're literally exactly the same. People are a lot nicer in Lancaster than Guildford, just lots of guys who think they are hard down south, but you get used to it. Surrey is a good Uni depending on your course, but I don't think the it has as close knit community like Lancaster; the college system is really good and you make friends really easily (as long as you are in halls).

For me when I was choosing my college I picked the one closest to where my lectures would be - Furness. (Obviously the best!!!) Turned out pretty well as it is pretty much the centre of campus next to the takeaway and Spar and all the shops. But it doesn't matter too much which college as everyone has a good time, and during freshers they all have different schedules of nights outs and stuff.

Hope that Helps!

:smile:

This helped me loads thanks! :P
Reply 6
pendle is pretty unexciting

though I don't know any colleges that excite me
Reply 7
Clearly Cartmel, we have ****ing musical instruments growing from the ceiling in our bar.
Reply 8
As a Fyldean... I'm going to come right out and say that I wish I was in County or Bowland. That is where all of my friends are and living on campus it makes a bit of a difference.

But in the grand scheme of things they all do the same job and I've met some lovely people from all colleges.
Not cartmel
Reply 10
To be honest all of the colleges are exciting, its just what you make of it. If you have good flatmates who you can have a laugh with then every night you go out on will be fun.
Anything but Cartmel.
Why so much hate for Cartmel?
Original post by North Irelandman
Why so much hate for Cartmel?

It's too far away from the centre of the campus and 10-15 min walks to County or Bowland in the morning while it's raining are pretty annoying. Also it's boring. I have friends in other colleges and I wish I'd gone to Fylde or Furness. A few of my friends in Cartmel don't like it here either. Plus it's overpriced. Over 4 grand a year for an en-suite room is too much. And our bar is dead. The Fylde bar is 10 times busier at 11 in the morning than Cartmel bar at its busiest times.
Reply 14
Original post by Matty707

Im a first year in furness, just dont pick cartmel or lonsdale they are miles from everywhere (you might not think its bad now but when you get into life at uni, it will feel like a trek to get to alexandria park everytime you have a lecture or just want to nip to spar or something) - also cartmels bar is ****, oh and for 2012 entry Furness will have a brand new bar so that'll easily be the best bar on campus... actually just pick Furness. Sorted.
Reply 15
Original post by Rothers
Im a first year in furness, just dont pick cartmel or lonsdale they are miles from everywhere (you might not think its bad now but when you get into life at uni, it will feel like a trek to get to alexandria park everytime you have a lecture or just want to nip to spar or something) - also cartmels bar is ****, oh and for 2012 entry Furness will have a brand new bar so that'll easily be the best bar on campus... actually just pick Furness. Sorted.

Furness easily had the best bar on campus then they went and decided it needed renovating. So it'll be **** in comparison.
Nah, Fylde bar is the best. Always busy.
Reply 17
Original post by cambo211
Furness easily had the best bar on campus then they went and decided it needed renovating. So it'll be **** in comparison.

yeah maybe but the new one will still be better than the current ones
Reply 18
Original post by Rothers
yeah maybe but the new one will still be better than the current ones

All the new bars are identical, all are pretty meh.

Trev was special and that's coming from a county student.
Original post by cambo211
All the new bars are identical, all are pretty meh.

Trev was special and that's coming from a county student.

I like county bar best at the moment. That may be due to the fact that it is where I go after orchestra/wind band/choir but it's got a good atmosphere and a juke box, which can be fun. All the colleges are fairly similar in my opinion I chose mine based on location, which is 2 minutes from most of my lectures.

Quick Reply