The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys :wave:

I'm looking to lose about 11 pounds and i could really use the support!

Rant:

Why does so many shop bought foods have to have so much salt in them? I don't want to cook fresh all the time, some days i want to just pop something already prepared in the oven and hay presto, but when i look at the amounts of salt in food, even seafood, it just makes me ill, espeically considering i dont add any salt in my own fresh meals..
Original post by Feeling low
I'm 6"2 and weigh 70kg with a body fat percentage of 18% (so no visible abs) and I am on the border of being underweight. I have an anterior pelvic tilt meaning that my pelvis is sticking out forward so it looks like I have a pop belly and looks like I have more back off than Beyonce. Worst of all I am a guy... I need tips on gaining weight but I don't wanna get fat I wanna gain some decent lean muscle mass. I would kill for broader shoulders, larger pectoral muscles and a flat stomach to counter balance my messed up physique but I don't know how. Only exercise I do is really running every other day regularly for about 2 years now.

Anyone got any tips at all?

If you want to maximise muscle gains then you have to gain weight at a slow rate. For your weight and height you need to be eating at least 2600 calories a day to gain 1lb a week. Don't try and force yourself to gain too much quickly as you will end up gaining a lot of fat.

Second of all you need to stop doing cardio and start lifting weight. Lifting heavy will help to build muscle however cardio is only good for fat loss and cardiovascular fitness and if you do cardio it would mean having to eat a lot more in order to still gain weight or if you don't eat to compensate the cardio you will end up not gaining any weight at all.

I will also recommend eating at least 1g of protien per lb of body weight (i.e at least 155lbs of protien per day) in order to give the muscle enough protien for it to grow.

Hope my advice helps but with this being a weight loss forum most of us on here are girls who have no experince in this area (I'm only able to give a bit of advice as I am hoping to lose body fat and then eventually gain some muscle and have been lifting heavy for a while). I would therefore recommend geting advice from the powerlifting forum who could give you more detailed advice but most of the stuff I have put here is what they would also say too.
Reply 122
Original post by pinksfun
Lucky you! Have fun! :smile: you can indulge a bit as you will be on holiday but try to stay relatively healthy majority of the time! :smile:

Thankyou!! :biggrin: Yeah, thats what I'm going to do... I think I'll have porridge and fruit for breakfast, a salad or healthy sandwich for lunch, then one course of whatever I like in the evening :smile: I think I should be alright as I'll be doing 12 hour days walking around New York :smile:
Original post by Chrisateen
Weighed myself today and have lost 2lbs!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::badger::banana::banana2::danceboy:. I lost 2lbs despite eating about 2200 calories a day and going to the gym 4x a week burning 1000 calories. Goes to show that eating more does help to lose weight.

This now means that I have now broken and gone under the the 11st mark (as I am now 10st 12) and 2lbs a way from my orginal goal of 10st 10lbs :biggrin:

Yaayyyyyy i'm so pleased for you..you deserve it :biggrin: I wanna eat 2200kcals too!!
Just been to the doctors - considering I thought I was at least 12 stone 11, the nurse weighed me and I'm 12 stone 1!!!! I'm guessing most of that is weight loss through stress and I haven't really weighed myself for a few weeks but YAY!
Reply 125
Quite a bad day yesterday, but still a fair bit of exercise:
Breakfast: Belvita breakfast biscuits (in a rush)
Lunch: tomato and lentil soup with a roll, plain yoghurt
Dinner: aubergine, spinach and ricotta bake, oven chips (oops), salad.
Snacks: yoghurt raisins, 1 chocolate digestive, slice of toast.

+ ~6mile cycle
Really struggling with my carb intake at the moment :s-smilie:
This kinda freezing/miserable weather makes me want to eat loads of pasta, potato, bread, etc.
Reply 127
Mega fail day! I've eaten so much already :o:

Fingers crossed for a STS on Monday!

Gonna hammer myself in the gym this afternoon, hoping to burn 1000 cals and blitz some off...so annoyed with myself
Reply 128
Did level two of 30DS for the first time ever today!!! It really did feel difficult compared to level one, which was starting to get a bit boring. I think I'm going to keep following the easy girl until Monday next week.

Just put my lunch into MFP, and it came out as 100 calories more than I had estimated it in my head!!! It still leaves 700 calories for dinner, which should be about right, as I'm having home made fish and oven chips for tea tonight, but I have a habit of eating a lot of tomato sauce and mayo with it, which adds SO many calories!!

I'm going to walk my dog soon just to give me an extra 100 calories to be on the safe side, but I really don't like to eat back my exercise calories too much. Just going to have to be strict with the condiments tonight!
Arg, the hula hoops in the cupboard downstairs are calling my name :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 130
How many protein shakes a day would you say is safe? I've had 1 today, I think probs best to leave it there for now
Been at boyfriend's for a couple of days, had a fair bit of exercise :biggrin: But enough about that.. Want to weigh myself but just had a cup of tea so waiting until a little bit later. Walked to and from uni twice, which always gives me a bit of a boost.

Been thinking I should probably vlog again soon, but don't have much to say that you haven't already heard on here, so maybe there's no point.

Hope everyone's doing well, and well done to all who have lost weight, and welcome to our new members! Our super duper new thread is looking dapper.
Original post by Riku
How many protein shakes a day would you say is safe? I've had 1 today, I think probs best to leave it there for now

It's just protein at the end of the day, you can't really have too much(within reason obviously). I've never had any problems with shakes, I've often had days where I have had 4 or 5. They do cause some people to get bloated and gassy, although personally I think this is down to them having far too much protein in general and/or some iffy/cheap whey.

If you need the protein then try having more, not going to do you any damage.

^Assuming you are in good health.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Been at boyfriend's for a couple of days, had a fair bit of exercise :biggrin: But enough about that.. Want to weigh myself but just had a cup of tea so waiting until a little bit later. Walked to and from uni twice, which always gives me a bit of a boost.

Been thinking I should probably vlog again soon, but don't have much to say that you haven't already heard on here, so maybe there's no point.

Hope everyone's doing well, and well done to all who have lost weight, and welcome to our new members! Our super duper new thread is looking dapper.

I'm not even going to ask :tongue:
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm not even going to ask :tongue:

Probably for the best :biggrin:. Doubt I'd be able to post the answer anyway, there are kiddies on this forum ;-).
Having a reasonably good day today... went shopping for jeans in New Look though and found out I'm an awkward size! Tried on a pair of skinny jeans in a 12, then a 10, and neither pair fit me! I'm too small for the 12s but a bit too big for the 10s... checked my measurements against their measurements when I got home and found out I'm exactly between sizes, which doesn't surprise me. :tongue: Guess I'm stuck without jeans for a bit longer, but it was worth it for that feeling today when I managed to button a pair of 10s up again!

Breakfast: Toast with flora
Lunch: Weight watchers ravioli with a passion-fruit mousse
Dinner: Garlic and herb chicken with baked beans and garden peas
Snacks: Weight watchers cookies, a cheese-string or two
(edited 12 years ago)
I was going to go to pilates this afternoon, but it's just so cold and miserable outside (not to mention wet) I really don't think I can face it.

BUT unlike yesterday, I'm going to make up for it by doing some of my pilates DVD, plus 30DS in my room :smile:
Reply 137
Couldn't quite force myself to get out with the dog, it looks far too cold and foggy. I did spend the afternoon tidying my room room though, so at least I didn't spend the afternoon sitting down.

I have a party on Sunday night, and its going to be my first night out since New year, so I really want to drink, but I don't know what would be best. I could drink diet coke and vodka, but vodka makes me sick. What other drinks are low in calories?
Need to post a parcel. Can't be bothered for three reasons..

1) I need to print off a label. The fire is on in here. No heating in printer room, and can see your own breath (don't bother heating it as we hardly ever go in there).
2) It's rainy and foggy and cold outside.
3) I've missed the post, so it makes no odds whether I post it now or tomorrow (before 4pm).

*Sigh*
But I need exercise for TODAY. Complete pain in the backside if I'm being honest. Will watch Loose Women whilst on exercise bike. Better than nothing.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36298667']I was going to go to pilates this afternoon, but it's just so cold and miserable outside (not to mention wet) I really don't think I can face it.

BUT unlike yesterday, I'm going to make up for it by doing some of my pilates DVD, plus 30DS in my room :smile:

Having just said this...
...someone come kick my butt and make me workout? :tongue:

Latest