The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Larrisa
I'm out for this years cycle! Good luck to all you other grads!

that sucks. where did you apply this year?
Rejection for the BM4 - good luck everyone else! :smile:
Reply 102
I've had an offer to study for a PhD at Oxford, which complicates things rather. I'm not going to withdraw my applications for Grad Med though.
Reply 103
Updates the Southampton thread - it's a rejection from them.

You win some, you lose some :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by HLS
I've had an offer to study for a PhD at Oxford, which complicates things rather. I'm not going to withdraw my applications for Grad Med though.

Congrats! At least you have a fallback.
Reply 105
Original post by adsyrah
Congrats! At least you have a fallback.

Thanks. You got into Newcastle right? So Soton rejection shouldn't sting too badly.

I think Medicine might be the fall back in case (for whatever reason) I can't take up the PhD, rather than the other way around. Not that I have any offers for Medicine yet, mind, and at this rate am highly unlikely to get one!
Reply 106
Original post by HLS
Thanks. You got into Newcastle right? So Soton rejection shouldn't sting too badly.

I think Medicine might be the fall back in case (for whatever reason) I can't take up the PhD, rather than the other way around. Not that I have any offers for Medicine yet, mind, and at this rate am highly unlikely to get one!

That's right, so the Soton reply was more out of interest as I wouldnt have gone there. Just waiting to hear back from Warwick now - I'm not confident about that one as a couple of the tasks seemed to go badly.

Well, either way, you're going to become a Dr! Whichever route makes you a "proper" doctor is obviously up for debate :wink:
Reply 107
Original post by HLS

your in a similar position to me mate, tbh its really about the end game, what is it you want to be? Ive sort of come to terms that i don't want to be an engineer in any capacity so now got to make the insanely difficult choice of choosing between barts 5yr and warwick 4yr, at least oxford didn't nick 500£ as a deposit for the back up unlike imperial.grrrrrr
just a query about the maintainence loan for grads pursuing the 5 year course...

will i be entitled to a loan that consists of the standard maintainence loan + the maintainence grant portion?

for example if this was my first degree i would be entitled to x amount as loan and y amount as grant to give z amount overall.

for the second degree will i receive x amount loan which would equate to "z amount" if this was my first degree?

this probably makes zero sense and could be explained a lot easier - sorry for the confusion!
Original post by ob.is.a.bit.good
just a query about the maintainence loan for grads pursuing the 5 year course...

will i be entitled to a loan that consists of the standard maintainence loan + the maintainence grant portion?

for example if this was my first degree i would be entitled to x amount as loan and y amount as grant to give z amount overall.

for the second degree will i receive x amount loan which would equate to "z amount" if this was my first degree?

this probably makes zero sense and could be explained a lot easier - sorry for the confusion!

alphabet lols. You will just get a certain amount loaned to you for maintenance (might be a bit higher for medicine but I wouldn't count on it) with no grant. This loan would be income assessed just like the last one so you'd probably get less than z.
Original post by HLS

Congrats, am guessing you're waiting on funding decisions?
Original post by HLS

OMG, that is fantastic news and at the same time I am sorry that you are placed in this position.
Reply 112
Woot! Warwick offer!

So... all 4 have got back to me... time to choose between Newcastle and Warwick...
Original post by adsyrah
Woot! Warwick offer!

So... all 4 have got back to me... time to choose between Newcastle and Warwick...

Congrats... wish i was in your position i still have nothing
Reply 114
Original post by lcsurfer
that sucks. where did you apply this year?

Kings, Warwick, Bristol and Southampton. Hopefully next year I'll have a bit of luck :smile:
Original post by Larrisa
Kings, Warwick, Bristol and Southampton. Hopefully next year I'll have a bit of luck :smile:

Yeah, I'm still waiting on Warwick. did you get an interview with them?
Good luck next year :biggrin: I maybe joining you!
Reply 116
Original post by lcsurfer
Yeah, I'm still waiting on Warwick. did you get an interview with them?
Good luck next year :biggrin: I maybe joining you!

Nah I didn't unfortunately. Would've been my top choice otherwise :smile: thanks! Fingers crossed for a positive Warwick response for you!
Reply 117
Original post by adsyrah
That's right, so the Soton reply was more out of interest as I wouldnt have gone there. Just waiting to hear back from Warwick now - I'm not confident about that one as a couple of the tasks seemed to go badly.

Well, either way, you're going to become a Dr! Whichever route makes you a "proper" doctor is obviously up for debate :wink:

Yes quite a pickle I'm in! Congratulations on Warwick! I'm not sure what your preference is, but were I in your position I'd probably go for Warwick. A pleasent dilemma for you either way!

Original post by Tripo
your in a similar position to me mate, tbh its really about the end game, what is it you want to be? Ive sort of come to terms that i don't want to be an engineer in any capacity so now got to make the insanely difficult choice of choosing between barts 5yr and warwick 4yr, at least oxford didn't nick 500£ as a deposit for the back up unlike imperial.grrrrrr

My thoughts are that I could still do Medicine post-PhD, but not the other way around. My prospective supervisor for PhD is a leading academic in my field of interest, and he's retired, but has agreed to supervise me anyway, so I am highly reluctant to turn the offer down.

However, if I do get an offer for Medicine I'm not quite sure what I'll do!

Original post by apotoftea
Congrats, am guessing you're waiting on funding decisions?

Yes funding decisions (for Faculty, Departmental, Clarendon, Research Council etc) are not likely to be finalised until April. However, if I had to I could self-fund. There is also scope for partial scholarships through the colleges, in the event I did not secure a full scholarship. However the decisions on these are not routinely known until June, and I probably can't wait that long if I get offers elsewhere for Medicine. I have also gotten to the very last stage of the Civil Service Fast Stream, the outcome of which I am waiting upon. So some tough decisions in the coming weeks.

Original post by Nasher and Basher
OMG, that is fantastic news and at the same time I am sorry that you are placed in this position.

The decision may yet be made for me - I expect I am almost certainly going to be rejected by Southampton. I have an interview for Notts, but again I think the chances of securing a place are slim. Although for Medical options Nottingham is by far my first choice.
Original post by adsyrah
Woot! Warwick offer!

Well done, and really ? I thought Warwick was your first choice, due to being close to home ?

Not that I am stalking you or anything.
Original post by HLS
Yes funding decisions (for Faculty, Departmental, Clarendon, Research Council etc) are not likely to be finalised until April. However, if I had to I could self-fund. There is also scope for partial scholarships through the colleges, in the event I did not secure a full scholarship. However the decisions on these are not routinely known until June, and I probably can't wait that long if I get offers elsewhere for Medicine. I have also gotten to the very last stage of the Civil Service Fast Stream, the outcome of which I am waiting upon. So some tough decisions in the coming weeks.

Lots of things to wait on then :smile:

Quick Reply