The Student Room Group

3rd Language at Durham

I have had an offer to study Modern Languages at Durham and would like to do the 3rd language option i.e. in ratio 2:2:2
I'm doing French and Spanish at A level at the minute so will obviously be taking those two languages.
I was wondering if people had suggestions about what would be the best language to as my third, Italian, Russian or Arabic.
I'm open minded at the minute and was just hoping that people could give me advantages and disadvantages of all three?
Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by TommyCricket
I have had an offer to study Modern Languages at Durham and would like to do the 3rd language option i.e. in ratio 2:2:2
I'm doing French and Spanish at A level at the minute so will obviously be taking those two languages.
I was wondering if people had suggestions about what would be the best language to as my third, Italian, Russian or Arabic.
I'm open minded at the minute and was just hoping that people could give me advantages and disadvantages of all three?
Many thanks
For one, there is never a disadvantage of learning a new language. Also the two languages that are a mix of Spanish and French are Gaelic and Italian. That would make it easy on you :biggrin:The russian alphabet is quite easy. Arabic they say is the most difficult, but once you know the letters and how to write it the rest is like learning any other language. And, Congrats on the offer!
Reply 2
Italian would be the easiest by far, especially as you're doing French and Spanish (although you'd probably have some trouble with mixing Spanish and Italian, nearly everyone seems to). I underestimated how demanding it would be doing three languages and the hardest one I'm doing is German; I really doubt you'd be able to spend enough time on all three if one of them was Russian or Arabic, unless you have a lot more dedication and a lot better time management skills than the average student.

That's not to say it can't be done - I know there's someone on here doing French, German and Mandarin - but you'll probably regret it unless you have a real passion for the language and culture to get you through the OH GOD I CAN'T DO THIS moments. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the course at Durham :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending