The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2400
Original post by RDCF12
I will be! Have you lined up questions and things for departments you're interested in?

I've already been placed in Transport :biggrin: but thought I might as well still go along for the craic

I'll be the scouse lad :P
Hey all,

I just found out I am 4th on the reserve list for the NI fast stream. Does anyone know what the chances of getting a place are from that position?

Thanks!
Reply 2402
Original post by crazychick
Hey all,

I just found out I am 4th on the reserve list for the NI fast stream. Does anyone know what the chances of getting a place are from that position?

Thanks!

I've just had my reply too, 2nd on the hr list. Hopefully this is a good sign, on last year's thread the people who were 25th and 27th were placed but think the was for gfs so maybe they had more extra places.
Reply 2403
Original post by TomDixie
I've already been placed in Transport :biggrin: but thought I might as well still go along for the craic

I'll be the scouse lad :P

TOM! How excited are you for saturday? Don't tell me your going because I'll be so jealous, I'm working but I've convinced my operations manager to let me put it on the radio across the store :smile:
Don't want to jinx us but I've booked the final off in advance just incase!
Reply 2404
Original post by rach2012
I've just had my reply too, 2nd on the hr list.

I'd think that 2nd on the list is a good place to be in, even if this doesn't preciselyguarantee you a job. In 2010, 13 people applying for HR declined employment after being offered a place, it'd only take two this year for you to strike gold :smile:
Reply 2405
Hey all,

Thanks!

Hi Crazy Chick,

Just found out I'm on the NI reserve list as well (3rd). I'm hopeful that something will work out as I saw some people on last years thread that managed to make it through after being on the reserve list. Fingers crossed!
Reply 2406
Hey all,

Thanks!

The girl who was 4th for NI scheme last year was placed early April
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1352173&page=74&highlight=reserve+fast+stream&page=74
Obviously every year's different but I'd say that looks good for you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2407
Original post by Chiryu
I'd think that 2nd on the list is a good place to be in, even if this doesn't preciselyguarantee you a job. In 2010, 13 people applying for HR declined employment after being offered a place, it'd only take two this year for you to strike gold :smile:

Thanks, this is great to know :smile:
I've just had my reply too, 2nd on the hr list. Hopefully this is a good sign, on last year's thread the people who were 25th and 27th were placed but think the was for gfs so maybe they had more extra places.

Looks extremely promising :smile: Hopefully it'll happen sooner trainer than later, so you can go in the general placement pool and get placed alongside everyone else.
Hi, anyone who was successful for the northern Ireland scheme actually heard anything from them? I found out I was successful on the 8th March but still haven't heard anything. I'm dying to know where I will be working and when I will be starting.
Reply 2410
Has anyone on the EFS scheme had their placement yet? If so, in which department? And what documents have you been asked to provide?

Still waiting to hear back from the FCO FSB, so currently in limbo, and have no idea where I'm likely to be placed if unsuccessful for FCO. Any info from the advance guard would be much appreciated.

Ta
Reply 2411
Hey,

I've been away for a few days and see that there have been many comments regarding pay and pass marks.

Congrats to all those that pass and sorry for those that didn't.

I had my meeting with the Fast Stream Grade Manager and can say boy this scheme is going to be very very exciting. I am already a civil servant and know the system and the structure through relationships with present fast streamers.

With regards to pay - this has all been harmonised and there is I believe to be two standard rates for salaries for those based in London and those outside.

Regional salary - £25,000
London (with weighting) - £27,000

The salaries are banded - at this rate you are banded a C2 and that salary goes up to £36,500 which allows for bonus's etc...

After two years most should be regraded to C1 which is the £36,500/£37,000 for regional and approximately £40,000 for London, so I wouldn't panic about scrounging through.

Every fast streamer also has to spend a placement outside their nominated region. I am with the MoD so if i were to be based in London I would have to spend 12 months in another station maybe Bristol, High Wycombe or Portsmouth. You will move around.

Once your through it doesn't matter what score you get - there is no pecking order. Everyone is afforded the same opportunities - regardless of which department you are in. Some less known departments may regrade their fast streamers early; it has been known.

The FSAC scores are used to place candidates in their chosen preferences based on a ranking system.

Good Luck!!
Well after 99 long days since my fsac, finally got my results today...reserve :s-smilie:
Does anybody know much about this? I know I'm not guaranteed a job but does anybody know the odds of getting one when put on the reserved list? Or where I could find more info on it?
I guess patience is a virtue :smile:

Hi Rach,
Would you mind sharing what scheme you were on and what score you got to be a reserve? Someone said that with 16.56 they failed, and someone else passed with 16.58 (both GFS CD I believe).

Did you get 16.57? I ask because I am trying to work out how many people might be on the reserve list. I have heard it said that occasionally other offers arise through the year and job offers might (big MIGHT) be offered to other candidates who missed the pass mark by a fraction.

I am not complaining about the FS methodology at all and understand the need for a clear cut off. Knowing what the cut off is for clear pass fail reserve could help other candidates, including in future years (hello class of 2013/14/15!)

If anyone else can shed any light on this as well I would be very curious.
Original post by BrusselsorUK
Hi Rach,
Would you mind sharing what scheme you were on and what score you got to be a reserve? Someone said that with 16.56 they failed, and someone else passed with 16.58 (both GFS CD I believe).

Did you get 16.57? I ask because I am trying to work out how many people might be on the reserve list. I have heard it said that occasionally other offers arise through the year and job offers might (big MIGHT) be offered to other candidates who missed the pass mark by a fraction.

I am not complaining about the FS methodology at all and understand the need for a clear cut off. Knowing what the cut off is for clear pass fail reserve could help other candidates, including in future years (hello class of 2013/14/15!)

If anyone else can shed any light on this as well I would be very curious.

I just had an email back from Parity. There is no reserve list for GFS this year. I also asked whether they could divulge how far away I was from the pass mark with 16.26 but no response. Hope this answers your questions!
Original post by nius
Hi Crazy Chick,

Just found out I'm on the NI reserve list as well (3rd). I'm hopeful that something will work out as I saw some people on last years thread that managed to make it through after being on the reserve list. Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed for us!!! What was your score at fsac? I tried to get more info out of parity ie how many people are on NI reserve list and what my chances were of getting a place but they wouldn't tell me any more! Do you think some NI depts havent released their places yet? Hopefully!!!
Original post by Lee1
Hey,

I've been away for a few days and see that there have been many comments regarding pay and pass marks.

Congrats to all those that pass and sorry for those that didn't.

I had my meeting with the Fast Stream Grade Manager and can say boy this scheme is going to be very very exciting. I am already a civil servant and know the system and the structure through relationships with present fast streamers.

With regards to pay - this has all been harmonised and there is I believe to be two standard rates for salaries for those based in London and those outside.

Regional salary - £25,000
London (with weighting) - £27,000

The salaries are banded - at this rate you are banded a C2 and that salary goes up to £36,500 which allows for bonus's etc...

After two years most should be regraded to C1 which is the £36,500/£37,000 for regional and approximately £40,000 for London, so I wouldn't panic about scrounging through.

Every fast streamer also has to spend a placement outside their nominated region. I am with the MoD so if i were to be based in London I would have to spend 12 months in another station maybe Bristol, High Wycombe or Portsmouth. You will move around.

Once your through it doesn't matter what score you get - there is no pecking order. Everyone is afforded the same opportunities - regardless of which department you are in. Some less known departments may regrade their fast streamers early; it has been known.

The FSAC scores are used to place candidates in their chosen preferences based on a ranking system.

Good Luck!!

Every fast streamer has to spend a year outside their nominated area? Are you sure? What about people with kids who have settled them into schools or people who have family to look after? Also, just normal people who dont want to be living a nomadic lifestyle? This seems a bit insane. Interested if perhaps only for MoD?
Reply 2416
After a day of despair just found out I'm 1st on reserve list for NI fast stream. Not I'm not sure whether I should be kicking myself for being so close to getting accepted or if i should be thankful that I'm ok. Would anyone have any knowledge of how certain a person in this position would be of getting accepted? Cheers folks
Reply 2417
Original post by rob_o
After a day of despair just found out I'm 1st on reserve list for NI fast stream. Not I'm not sure whether I should be kicking myself for being so close to getting accepted or if i should be thankful that I'm ok. Would anyone have any knowledge of how certain a person in this position would be of getting accepted? Cheers folks

As someone stated earlier, that will come down to where you rank on the waiting list. If you're high up, the odds may be quite good. Someone 4th on the list got called up as early as April!

However, things "may" be different this year. I remember that last year, I could apply for the GFS and NI FS. This year, it appears that they've narrowed the applicant pool.
Reply 2418
Question: has anyone successful in the GFS also been invited to the TiB FSB?
Reply 2419
Yes I am pretty certain. There will be the obvious exceptions but if your with for exampe DIFID - they have a headquarter in Glasgow and one in London. If you were based in London then you would be expected to spend a placement most likely in the Glasgow Office. That is why they say that you must be flexible with your travel and job.

DWP have a headquarter in Sheffield and London. People on the DWP Fast Stream have had the responsibility of running a job centre in Leicester.

Ministry of Justice - if you read the profiles on the civil service website it gives an example of a fast streamer managing and running the Surrey Courts - magistrates and County.

It is not all centralised in London so their are responsibilities outside of London which Fast Streamers will be required to take up.

I don't make the rules. The Fast Stream however have a very good support function - if you were based in London but had to work in Bristol; they would pay for accommodation, travel, utilities, miscallaneous expenses. They cover basic mobility expenses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending