The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've just discovered you can apply through the fast stream to be a government statistician! My inner nerd is dancing. Definitely going to have a punt on 2013. I knew all that stats stuff would come in handy one day.
Girlfriend made tea, it sort of helps. I feel drained. :frown:Time to read Greek. :biggrin:
Original post by IlexAquifolium
That'll teach you for eating Hobnob. I was wondering where she went.

Anyway, chamomile tea should help although not as much as mint. Anything containing ginger is also a good bet.

ahahahaha when I saw his comment something similar flashed through my mind but I was too stressed about my essay (which btw is due tomorrow evening - after I asked for an extension - and I still haven't managed to actually add anything to the previous draft, although in my defence I have rewritten and reorganised most of the previous draft which was so painfully **** that I simply could not move on until I could survive looking at it) to formulate the joke as well as you did.
I wish I could sing. :frown:
Original post by Craghyrax
I LIKE BOOKS

Patrick Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind". If you haven't read it...read it. Its amazing, it will rocket up your list of favourite fantasy books. Its one of those books which manages to be literature which happens to be fantasy rather than the typical crap. Its great.

I warn you, the first 2 pages the prose steams a bit...stilted but it becomes... magnificent. I thoroughly recommend this book. It gets the Lyceum seal of provowels.

Original post by IlexAquifolium
That'll teach you for eating Hobnob. I was wondering where she went.
:rofl: Fortunately I think she's safe from the Lyceums predatory habits in Germany, where the only internet access is through an ancient pc which shuts down constantly while she's trying to use it...
Ilex

Anyway, chamomile tea should help although not as much as mint. Anything containing ginger is also a good bet.

Actually black tea works too. Something about tannins I think.
Original post by The Lyceum
Patrick Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind". If you haven't read it...read it. Its amazing, it will rocket up your list of favourite fantasy books. Its one of those books which manages to be literature which happens to be fantasy rather than the typical crap. Its great.

I warn you, the first 2 pages the prose steams a bit...stilted but it becomes... magnificent. I thoroughly recommend this book. It gets the Lyceum seal of provowels.

Awesome, thankyou! I'm always on the look out for more material :teeth:
You're welcome; I was really surprised I liked it. Waterstone's are selling it half price (or were...) which peaked my interest.

I LOVE it when fantasy literature turns out to be intelligent, inventive and not a pile of ****. I'm going to add Scott Lynch's books to that too, but Rothfuss definitely trumps it. Best fiction I've read so far this year besides Eco.
I don't mind if fantasy is trashy :p: If its better, that's bonus.
You're welcome; I was really surprised I liked it. Waterstone's are selling it half price (or were...) which peaked my interest.

I LOVE it when fantasy literature turns out to be intelligent, inventive and not a pile of ****. I'm going to add Scott Lynch's books to that too, but Rothfuss definitely trumps it. Best fiction I've read so far this year besides Eco.

Have you read the Empire trilogy by Feist and Wurts? They're a real favourite of mine. Not particularly inspired but well crafted and well written and quite human.
Reply 2729
I don't trust Waterstones purely on the basis they can't spell correctly when writing shelf labels.

Original post by Cirsium
Have you read the Empire trilogy by Feist and Wurts? They're a real favourite of mine. Not particularly inspired but well crafted and well written and quite human.

No actually, I loved Feist's "Magician" but admit it gets a bit bad after that so sort of gave up...9/10 books later. :s-smilie:

Is Wurts any good in general do you happen to know?
No actually, I loved Feist's "Magician" but admit it gets a bit bad after that so sort of gave up...9/10 books later. :s-smilie:

Is Wurts any good in general do you happen to know?

I hate her with a passion :p: No seriously... :rolleyes: I quite liked Feist, but I adore the Empire books, so it seemed logical that I must like her: she must be the secret ingredient. So Phil got me a book of hers called Curse of the Mistwraith (I think??)

Now you should know that there are two (other) books in the entire world that I have started and proceeded to not finish. Well apart from the Aeneid but that's different :p: I read an average paperback in five or six hours. I can cheerfully plough through just about anything.

And I have tried to read Curse of the Mistwraith no fewer than six times and I have never made it beyond the halfway point. :eek2: So no... I don't like her :teehee:
Original post by Cirsium
I hate her with a passion :p: No seriously... :rolleyes: I quite liked Feist, but I adore the Empire books, so it seemed logical that I must like her: she must be the secret ingredient. So Phil got me a book of hers called Curse of the Mistwraith (I think??)

Now you should know that there are two (other) books in the entire world that I have started and proceeded to not finish. Well apart from the Aeneid but that's different :p: I read an average paperback in five or six hours. I can cheerfully plough through just about anything.

And I have tried to read Curse of the Mistwraith no fewer than six times and I have never made it beyond the halfway point. :eek2: So no... I don't like her :teehee:

What are the other books?

I never made it through Wuthering Heights...
Original post by Cirsium
If you have any left over I now have the world's greatest sausage roll recipe ever...

Cumberland sausage rolls...hmm. Although your recipe sounds lovely, it also sounds like it might be better for using a plainer sausage?

GOGs, I have a work-related dilemma (ish).

Basically I have finally got myself a 100% teaching job as of August (posted about this previously and got lots of lovely reps :h:). This means I will have my own class, responsibility for all their learning and progress (Norwegian, Maths, Science, English, RE, History...) and contact with parents etc etc. This will be my first year doing this job and I am looking forward to it, even though I know it will be a lot of work.

However, came in this morning and one of my colleagues who will be on my team next year told me that apparently the leadership team are planning on asking me to be Team Leader next year. This is an unpaid position. I get one afternoon off teaching a week to attend Team Leader meetings and will be the official liaison between the team and the leadership.
Thinking about it there were only two viable options for the team leader role of the people going to be on the team next year (maternity leave, someone has already done the job etc), so if I say no they will ask the other person and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to do it either so then they will be forced to beg, lol. They cannot legally force anyone to do the role, but someone needs to do it.

Basically it would be tight for me to refuse the role and had it been any other year I would say yes immediately, and I definitely know I have the skills to do the job well. However it being my first year full time in a system I haven't fully understood yet I am very sceptical about saying yes.

Advice?
Original post by Becca
Cumberland sausage rolls...hmm. Although your recipe sounds lovely, it also sounds like it might be better for using a plainer sausage?

GOGs, I have a work-related dilemma (ish).

Basically I have finally got myself a 100% teaching job as of August (posted about this previously and got lots of lovely reps :h:). This means I will have my own class, responsibility for all their learning and progress (Norwegian, Maths, Science, English, RE, History...) and contact with parents etc etc. This will be my first year doing this job and I am looking forward to it, even though I know it will be a lot of work.

However, came in this morning and one of my colleagues who will be on my team next year told me that apparently the leadership team are planning on asking me to be Team Leader next year. This is an unpaid position. I get one afternoon off teaching a week to attend Team Leader meetings and will be the official liaison between the team and the leadership.
Thinking about it there were only two viable options for the team leader role of the people going to be on the team next year (maternity leave, someone has already done the job etc), so if I say no they will ask the other person and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to do it either so then they will be forced to beg, lol. They cannot legally force anyone to do the role, but someone needs to do it.

Basically it would be tight for me to refuse the role and had it been any other year I would say yes immediately, and I definitely know I have the skills to do the job well. However it being my first year full time in a system I haven't fully understood yet I am very sceptical about saying yes.

Advice?

Well, your colleague may be wrong, and events may mean that you actually don't get asked in the end, so don't get too wound up about it until you are actually asked.

One thing to think about is your organisational culture, which you know far better than I do. Is a request a request or is it really an instruction? Where I work, a request is usually an instruction, thinly disguised (generally along the lines of 'This is a cup of cold sick, and this is a bucket of cold sick. Which one do you want to drink?', which maintains the illusion of freedom of choice), and the debate comes down very quickly to extracting concessions elsewhere in return for saying 'Yes'. On the other hand, your employers may be genuinely open-minded, and you can say 'No' without concern for the consequences.

Given that you are already taking on a lot next year anyway, I can see why you're uncertain but you say you can do the job, you may be the best person available to do it (what would the alternative be like?), and they'd hopefully recognise your team leader role in deciding your other responsibilities.

So I suspect I have been no help at all, but good luck

C
Original post by Becca
What are the other books?

I never made it through Wuthering Heights...

The new Sebastian Faulkes one (something about September?) And Night Train to Lisbon, which Lyceum might like, because it's all about language, but I just found unbelievably pompous and self important.

Mmmm I think whisky caramelised onions should be added to EVERYTHING!
I can't believe you link me with "unbelievably pompous and self important." :eek::confused:

The Amazon reviews seem a bit too dire for my taste I must admit, so its a miss. I can't remember where I finally got to with Feist; somewhere with other realities and prophecies and Pug being badass etc. "Something of a Mad God" and the one after, I think.

Similar towards Feist end of the scale, have you read Robin Hobb? I red the first two trilogies, they were excellent. The second set were better written but I engaged with the first (Farseer Trilogy) much better though by the end of the second I was rather...let's say moved. Just not by the characters you're probably meant to focus on. I'd also recommend, it lacks te polish of Rotfuss but I love the characters somewhat.
I can't believe you link me with "unbelievably pompous and self important." :eek::confused:

No, no I don't! I meant the subject matter. It's about this polyglot professor who ends up moving to Portugal and trying to teach himself Portuguese because of a chance encounter with a random Portuguese woman that renders him obsessed with the language and it's all very philosophical and about language.

Similar towards Feist end of the scale, have you read Robin Hobb? I red the first two trilogies, they were excellent. The second set were better written but I engaged with the first (Farseer Trilogy) much better though by the end of the second I was rather...let's say moved. Just not by the characters you're probably meant to focus on. I'd also recommend, it lacks te polish of Rotfuss but I love the characters somewhat.

No actually, although I'm fairly sure I've got some in a cupboard. So much fantasy, so little time... Another one I'd recommend is Sara Douglass. It gets pretty brutal, but they're fun :h:
Hated Robin Hobb. Conservative tripe. And didn't like the style.
Original post by Cirsium

No, no I don't! I meant the subject matter. It's about this polyglot professor who ends up moving to Portugal and trying to teach himself Portuguese because of a chance encounter with a random Portuguese woman that renders him obsessed with the language and it's all very philosophical and about language.

No actually, although I'm fairly sure I've got some in a cupboard. So much fantasy, so little time... Another one I'd recommend is Sara Douglass. It gets pretty brutal, but they're fun :h:

I was playing with you. Do you, incidentally, know what does that storyline much better? Colin Firth's character in "Love Actually" :tongue: I'll give her a look.

Original post by Craghyrax
Hated Robin Hobb. Conservative tripe. And didn't like the style.

I didn't get that aspect? I got "OMG WOLF" and then "OMG DRAGON" from her mainly. I think it was reasonably enjoyable, definitely better than most of what fantasy puts out.

The fact that you didn't like it is only much MORE of a recommendation for Rothfuss IMO.

Latest

Trending

Trending