The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
Original post by The Lyceum
I was playing with you. Do you, incidentally, know what does that storyline much better? Colin Firth's character in "Love Actually" :tongue: I'll give her a look.

Yay, a literary question I could actually answer! :biggrin:

:o:
Original post by Drogue

:ditto: :biggrin: :five:
Patrick Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind". If you haven't read it...read it. Its amazing, it will rocket up your list of favourite fantasy books. Its one of those books which manages to be literature which happens to be fantasy rather than the typical crap. Its great.

I warn you, the first 2 pages the prose steams a bit...stilted but it becomes... magnificent. I thoroughly recommend this book. It gets the Lyceum seal of provowels.

Apropos of nothing, this reminds me of the badge I made for my boyfriend's blog:

cat+badge+web.jpg
After trawling through nearly a 100 samples of organ music from The Oxford Book of Wedding Music, and some random person's 'top 100 pieces of organ music' on google, I nearly reached a point of despair since I either hated all of it with a passion, or found that the pieces I did enjoy were completely unsuitable to proceed down the aisle to.
Finally this morning I had a brainwave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-W9KeqS3p8 Its not pompous, fanfarish or irritatingly chirpy. Its just right :biggrin: (ps I think it will sound a hell of a lot better when you're sitting in a church than on that youtube recording, but nevermind. Recording organ music is tricky)
My fiance and I are going to trawl through Radiohead to see if any of it could be converted into a bridal march, but if we fail then I think this is it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Apropos of nothing, this reminds me of the badge I made for my boyfriend's blog:

cat+badge+web.jpg

That's awesome. I chose it due to the "Wolf" element in my user-name and the fact that...its a wolf, happy, just look at it. :biggrin:

Original post by Drogue

Its a great film isn't it? Part of my Christmas line up: That, "The Holiday" and "Harry Potter 1" :biggrin: followed by the Snowman etc.
Original post by Craghyrax
After trawling through nearly a 100 samples of organ music from The Oxford Book of Wedding Music, and some random person's 'top 100 pieces of organ music on google', I nearly reached a point of despair since I either hated all of it with a passion, or found that the pieces I did enjoy were completely unsuitable to proceed down the aisle to.
Finally this morning I had a brainwave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-W9KeqS3p8 Its not pompous, fanfarish or irritatingly chirpy. Its just right :biggrin: (ps I think it will sound a hell of a lot better when you're sitting in a church than on that youtube recording, but nevermind. Recording organ music is tricky)
My fiance and I are going to trawl through Radiohead to see if any of it could be converted into a bridal march, but if we fail then I think this is it!

I like it :yep:
After trawling through nearly a 100 samples of organ music from The Oxford Book of Wedding Music, and some random person's 'top 100 pieces of organ music on google', I nearly reached a point of despair since I either hated all of it with a passion, or found that the pieces I did enjoy were completely unsuitable to proceed down the aisle to.

Oh I like that a lot - really nice choice!
Thanks guys! I will ask for the tempo to be a wee bit faster. My recording of Faure's requiem is quicker. I guess its much easier to play these things slowly though.
Thanks guys! I will ask for the tempo to be a wee bit faster. My recording of Faure's requiem is quicker. I guess its much easier to play these things slowly though.

Obviously I'm not an organist and you can't see the pedals in that clip but it didn't look particularly hard to play :nah:
Reply 2749
Its a great film isn't it? Part of my Christmas line up: That, "The Holiday" and "Harry Potter 1" :biggrin: followed by the Snowman etc.

Replace Harry Potter with Home Alone and I'd 100% agree :biggrin:
Home Alone! :love:
Original post by Cirsium
The new Sebastian Faulkes one (something about September?) And Night Train to Lisbon, which Lyceum might like, because it's all about language, but I just found unbelievably pompous and self important.

Mmmm I think whisky caramelised onions should be added to EVERYTHING!

Ah it was the Onions that we're caremelised? That's a different matter entirely!! :drool:
Original post by Cora Lindsay
Well, your colleague may be wrong, and events may mean that you actually don't get asked in the end, so don't get too wound up about it until you are actually asked.

One thing to think about is your organisational culture, which you know far better than I do. Is a request a request or is it really an instruction? Where I work, a request is usually an instruction, thinly disguised (generally along the lines of 'This is a cup of cold sick, and this is a bucket of cold sick. Which one do you want to drink?', which maintains the illusion of freedom of choice), and the debate comes down very quickly to extracting concessions elsewhere in return for saying 'Yes'. On the other hand, your employers may be genuinely open-minded, and you can say 'No' without concern for the consequences.

Given that you are already taking on a lot next year anyway, I can see why you're uncertain but you say you can do the job, you may be the best person available to do it (what would the alternative be like?), and they'd hopefully recognise your team leader role in deciding your other responsibilities.

So I suspect I have been no help at all, but good luck

C

No, this was really rather helpful. I did write that post in a state of panic first thing this morning after being greeted by the news (which apparently came out after I'd left work on Friday afternoon) so you're right that I really ought not to worry until I actually hear from leadership, which I haven't today!
My colleague who has previously done the role reckons I'll manage fine in it but it's just the thought of the extra work...luckily I reckon teamwork/delegation goes a long way in my school's culture do that's a positive. Until I actually talk to someone I don't really know what the consequences of me saying no are, so I guess I just have to sit tight and wait for further developments.
Graduation email came through today ... at least that explains why the certificate I got back in January was a bit lame. I hope.
Original post by Becca
No, this was really rather helpful. I did write that post in a state of panic first thing this morning after being greeted by the news (which apparently came out after I'd left work on Friday afternoon) so you're right that I really ought not to worry until I actually hear from leadership, which I haven't today!

Oh. OK. Glad but surprised to have been some use

C
Original post by Cora Lindsay
Oh. OK. Glad but surprised to have been some use

C

I don't know why, your advice to me was really helpful too!
I wonder what Ally makes of this:

:teehee:
Being as she's american, probably not a lot :p: My dissertation work yesterday consisted of making my own Ally meme :o:

My dissertation is currently 12345 words long. I don't want to write anymore and ruin the magic number :frown:
Original post by ice_cube

My dissertation is currently 12345 words long. I don't want to write anymore and ruin the magic number :frown:

:awesome: :sad: :console:
You could always aim for 123456
Original post by m:)ckel
You could always aim for 123456

That would be a lot for 13 days*, and would also fail :p:

*now that Im counting in days not weeks, the fear has kicked in. ****.

Latest