The Student Room Group

Things you wish you knew before A-Level.

I am currently coming towards the end of year 11, which seems to have flown by, and thus sixth form is rapidly approaching. :s-smilie:

I have no idea what I am about to face, and therefore I would love people to share their mistakes, secrets to success and general tips and information that a year 11 may not know about sixth form.

Thank you :smile:

ps. good luck with exams, results , university places or whatever is to come.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That doing nothing all year and cramming in study leave will come back to bite you :colonhash:
Reply 2
That picking an A Level that you got an A at GCSE would be seem reasonable to pick at AS Level! I got an A for GCSE English Lit and did at AS and it was the biggest mistake I made because I hated it as it was so difficult to do! Only pick subjects in A Levels that you will enjoy and want to get good grades in!! :smile:
Reply 3
That all the extra curricular activities you do throughout year 12, distracting you from your actual a levels, because some teacher told you you'd need them for your PS are pointless (except for medicine). Just focus on the a levels.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I swear there was already a thread for this? I'll find it...
Reply 5
Original post by englishmad
That all the extra curricular activities you do throughout year 12, distracting you from your actual a levels, because some teacher told you you'd need them for your PS are pointless. Just focus on the a levels.

Unless you want to do Medicine...
Reply 6
Physics is a nightmare. Only do it if you like it.
Reply 7
Actually doing extra reading around the subjects you study would have been a brilliant idea... Oh, and that journal article reading is a great way to prepare for university. Reading around certainly makes a personal statement stronger though
Reply 8
Original post by Tench
Unless you want to do Medicine...

true - I'm speaking as a hopeful English literature student who was gullible enough to believe that if I played tennis twice a week universities offers would be flooding in.
Reply 9
That OCR and Biology do not mix.
Reply 10
Do all the UCAS stuff early -don't leave it till the last minute like I did!
Don't take chemistry!
Do not treat it like GCSE, A-level is very different and at least 10 times harder. If you spend an hour doing revision for GCSE per week, you need to do at least 3 hour of revision for each subject per week. This will make you feel a lot confident and also help you in getting better grades.

Most of us won't have the patience to follow our timetable 100% tightly, so push yourself a bit harder at the beginning is ok IMO.
Reply 13
Original post by NaaderBajwa
That OCR and Biology do not mix.

Neither does Salters, OCR and Chemistry
Original post by shmuxel
I swear there was already a thread for this? I'll find it...

Darn, there's me thinking I'm all original and creative.:frown:
Reply 15
1. That every single aspect of my social life and mental functioning would be violated and corrupted. This one goes out to the triple science students.

2. you can never have too many bic biro pens

3. freshers 15 - unlimited access to shops during free periods = rapid weight gain

4. when teachers tell you to make detailed notes in the lesson YOU BETTER DO IT

5. Don't let friends and parties distract you from anything, because at the end of the day it's YOUR life and education at stake.

6. OCR is a mofo
Reply 16
If you are doing biology, every animal or species that appears in your exam, you will develop an increased hatred for. I can never look at cats and pandas in the same way.
Reply 17
Facebook, TSR, Youtube .. they're not your friends.
Original post by YB101
6. OCR is a mofo

I had OCR 21st century science for GCSE and thought they were great, what changes?:confused:
Reply 19
You realize it's impossible to get rid of chavs.

Quick Reply

Latest