The Student Room Group

Why do people hate short guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Anonymous
I have trouble with getting a g/f, but mainly because i drive a Volvo, i am generally boring and do things that have no interest to the opposite sex.

EG: Don't drink, smoke, drugs etc. I tend to be a tad self-opinionated but not intentionally.

I am 5ft 7inch. I don't feel that my height is my problem, just my general persona.

Anon,

There are things you can do to improve yourself - make yourself not boring; but as you said, you feel like your persona is letting you down. That should be your focus point.
Original post by ct2k7
Hi Anon #5 - I'm trying to find your post, but I can't find it :s-smilie: - I don't usually skip posts as you can see - so I do apologise if that seemed the case. I'm going to have a hunt for it now.

I'd honestly be happy - I don't really care who likes me, I am open to all people

I am quite an approachable person I think. People approach me with all sorts of things - people know me as someone they can talk to.

hehehe :

For me, I notice a lot more things than other people do- but I also care about more things than people do - it's a strength and a weakness.

Maybe I missed ur response. Well my last comment I realise I was not anon but since I've ventured in the personal zone and since I'm kind of shy I've gone anon. So my comment is on the first page and we have chatted before.
I do think your one of the hottest guys on tsr :colondollar: and weird as it might sound since I don't know u photographically but your personality makes u one of the hottest and that's most important. You have a wonderful personality and from ur thread it's obvious you've got good attention to detail and ure very thorough. All important qualities. the fact youre not afraid of commitment like nang guys this age makes you 10 times hotter.

I'm really happy you are in a loving relationship. Girls should preference guys like you so I'm happy you have a living gf.
I only hope one day my mr right is 1/10 as awesome as you :smile:

Lol I can think of many positions. I'm usually not as forward but the advantages had to be mentioned.

I know lots of great guys around 5'2 to 5'6 all in happy relationships one was my black belt martial arts instructor so it's a myth that shorter guys cannot protect they are prob even more agile.

I think it's nice that you reply to everyone. And I think you
Dont mind the typos I meant loving gf not living
And many guys our age was the other sentence.
What can i do? Talking to good looking guys makes me nervous :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 63
Maybe I missed ur response. Well my last comment I realise I was not anon but since I've ventured in the personal zone and since I'm kind of shy I've gone anon. So my comment is on the first page and we have chatted before.

Actually, I know who you are - I noticed that your anon slipped :smile:

I do think your one of the hottest guys on tsr :colondollar: and weird as it might sound since I don't know u photographically but your personality makes u one of the hottest and that's most important. You have a wonderful personality and from ur thread it's obvious you've got good attention to detail and ure very thorough. All important qualities. the fact youre not afraid of commitment like nang guys this age makes you 10 times hotter.

I'm not one to seek validation or approval from people - but thank you - to hear is somewhat exhilarating after the negative feedback I get about my height here in Florida :smile:

I'm really happy you are in a loving relationship. Girls should preference guys like you so I'm happy you have a living gf.
I only hope one day my mr right is 1/10 as awesome as you :smile:

Thanks - I think you will definitely find someone who you will be happy about. At the end of the day, love has no limits, but it's about both of you being comfortable with each other and you being comfortable with yourself around that person.

Lol I can think of many positions. I'm usually not as forward but the advantages had to be mentioned.

Experimentation = fun. The internet is the resource :biggrin:

I know lots of great guys around 5'2 to 5'6 all in happy relationships one was my black belt martial arts instructor so it's a myth that shorter guys cannot protect they are prob even more agile.

Shorter people are more agile and have faster reflex times, whilst taller people have a greater reachability - there are advantages and disadvantages, but if you know how to use your body with the correct discipline, the world is your oyster. Shorter people, however, fare better in fighting situations - it is much easier to effect a blow to the lower limbs which will cause the person to come crashing down, depending on what you do. There was a research that suggested that taller people strike down with greater force. I think any intelligent person can say that some attribution comes naturally from gravity. Personally, I find hitting upwards to be much stronger, but I am built. I did MMA training when I was much younger, for about 2 years.

I think it's nice that you reply to everyone. And I think you

It'd be a disservice if I didn't - I absolutely enjoy engaging with people; hearing their point of view on things and understanding them. It's one of the reasons I started this thread - not just for myself, but for someone out there who's wondering the same thing as I am. :smile:
famous shorter guys all 5 feet 2 inches and they all have done much. So dont let jealous people make u feel bad. Secure people will not be phased by a relationship with a guy who is shorter

Genghis khan
Danny devito
Prince is 5'2 and he is a massive sex symbol
Marquis de Sade
Mahatma Gandhi was 5'3 and he was one of the most influential men in the 20th c
Wolverine is meant to be 5'3

Lot of females in happy relationships with shorter guys
Sophie Dahl Jamie callum he is 5'4 she is 5'10 I think
Tom cruise who is a massive heart throb
Mick Jagger
Sarkozy and Carla bruni
Nicole and Keith urban a hot Aussie couple
Reply 65
famous shorter guys all 5 feet 2 inches and they all have done much. So dont let jealous people make u feel bad. Secure people will not be phased by a relationship with a guy who is shorter

Genghis khan
Danny devito
Prince is 5'2 and he is a massive sex symbol
Marquis de Sade
Mahatma Gandhi was 5'3 and he was one of the most influential men in the 20th c
Wolverine is meant to be 5'3

Lot of females in happy relationships with shorter guys
Sophie Dahl Jamie callum he is 5'4 she is 5'10 I think
Tom cruise who is a massive heart throb
Mick Jagger
Sarkozy and Carla bruni
Nicole and Keith urban a hot Aussie couple

I think what should be worth noting here as well is that these guys have worked their as*es off against the odds to achieve something they want - it's the right attitude they had, and it literally paid off!
I agree wIth the guys mentioned. Def very substantial achievements that should not be overlooked.
I know my anon slipped but if u'd like to reply to me about that comment feel free to pm or reply on wall.
Also for curiosity and if it's not too personal what is your background?
Reply 67
I agree wIth the guys mentioned. Def very substantial achievements that should not be overlooked.
I know my anon slipped but if u'd like to reply to me about that comment feel free to pm or reply on wall.
Also for curiosity and if it's not too personal what is your background?

Yep. I think this is the one which you're referring to:

ct2k7
short men don't have "short man syndrome" as much as taller men don't have "tall man syndrome"

That should answer your question.

If that doesn't, then the simple answer is that neither of the conditions exist.

I want to explain it further, but I should ask first - what is your definition of it?

If I've got the wrong post, feel free to post it again, or PM me with the post number and I will respond appropriately :p:D

My background:

19 year old, Asian male (Mauritian descent). Attended an all-boys secondary school. Achieved respectable A Level results last year. Was offered to pursue a clinical career in healthcare, however, dumped it instead to pursue something I've always loved doing - flying. I was a member of the Air Cadets organization, attending camps and courses regularly to develop discipline and leadership skills as well as getting to know people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ct2k7
Yep. I think this is the one which you're referring to:

I want to explain it further, but I should ask first - what is your definition of it?

If I've got the wrong post, feel free to post it again, or PM me with the post number and I will respond appropriately :p:D

My background:

19 year old, Asian male (Mauritian descent). Attended an all-boys secondary school. Achieved respectable A Level results last year. Was offered to pursue a clinical career in healthcare, however, dumped it instead to pursue something
I've always loved doing - flying. I was a member of the Air Cadets organization,
attending camps and courses regularly to develop discipline and leadership skills
as well as getting to know people.

Firstly it's awesome that you're also a fellow Asian :smile: Asian guys rock :smile: so thats excuting. and I've always wanted to go to mauritus it's a beautiful place as is Florida. Flying is an awesome profession and I'm sure you will be excellent at it. I'm in my 20s but its great that uve got so much passion and drive for it. I have some similarities in your story in that I also attended a sane sex secondary
school.

My comment was a different one .. There's no point hiding my identity so I'm comment 19 on the first page :smile:
Reply 69
Firstly it's awesome that you're also a fellow Asian :smile: Asian guys rock :smile: so thats excuting. and I've always wanted to go to mauritus it's a beautiful place as is Florida. Flying is an awesome profession and I'm sure you will be excellent at it. I'm in my 20s but its great that uve got so much passion and drive for it. I have some similarities in your story in that I also attended a sane sex secondary
school.

My comment was a different one .. There's no point hiding my identity so I'm comment 19 on the first page :smile:

:woo:

Ok, to answer that post, which going back, I did somehow ignore it :frown:

Original post by indianaussie
I don't think all girls think like that. For some personality is more important.
seriously mate I think shorter guys are way hotter. They're at the right height to do the important things.
I think things we underestimate in ourselves like height, weight, breast size etc but it's a good filter filtering out superficial people so in the end u have a person who likes u just for u

I would say that you are correct for most part: not all girls are like that - however, I have seen a lot of superficial girls here in Florida, well, daily. Overall, personality is the best for suitability and longevity for a relationship. However, in raw mating terms, girls see taller men as better, but somehow get moped up in some invalid conjecture like we've seen.

The bolded comment is one of the best - we honestly don't know how useful these things are, and sometime we can overlook them even when they're helping to play such a large role. I would agree with the following though in that it does help to filter out the superficial people, but what would you say to someone who's basically being stonewalled in this area, who lives in a superficial age and area?

Edit: trying to rep people here, but I've given out too many in the past 24 hours :/
Original post by ct2k7
:woo:

Ok, to answer that post, which going back, I did somehow ignore it :frown:

I would say that you are correct for most part: not all girls are like that - however, I have seen a lot of superficial girls here in Florida, well, daily. Overall, personality is the best for suitability and longevity for a relationship. However, in raw mating terms, girls see taller men as better, but somehow get moped up in some invalid conjecture like we've seen.

The bolded comment is one of the best - we honestly don't know how useful
these things are, and sometime we can overlook them even when they're helping
to play such a large role. I would agree with the following though in that it does
help to filter out the superficial people, but what would you say to someone
who's basically being stonewalled in this area, who lives in a superficial age and
area

Edit: trying to rep people here, but I've given out too many in the past 24 hours :/

That's alright you can pos rep me tomorrow :tongue: I'm jk.
I have a cousin who is 5'2 and he has got a job. He's had a gf since end of uni.
I do agree that lots of people, males and females, are superficial and follow what the media dictates to them. They're just superficial for different things . Girls can be superficial for height maybe job status boys for breast size and other features like someone who is slim with a nice figure etc as well as maybe someone who is domestic.
I don't think these people are worth it though. If they are making you feel bad about yourself rather than giving positive energy. Too much negative energy will drain you and make you feel negative. if these are friends who are superficial then you think if the friendship is worth it or chat to them
How they would like it if someone picked on their features. Show them you are proud of your height and many great men were that height including celebrities. I'm
Guessing Florida especially Miami has a lot if celebrity culture. If they're Asian let them know people like gandhi were this height or big stars like sharuk khan 5'8 salmon khan 5'7 voted 10th most handsome guy by hello magazine, amir khan 5'6 and shahid kapur 5'7.5 all big heart throbs are around a similar height.
If strangers are giving you looks or comments ignore or revel in it so they feel like they're doing something wrong. There was an interesting and positive movie on a guy who was shorter than this girl he was dating and how they dealt with societal issues.

I face a lot of similar issues so I can relate to the filter comment. I have small breasts ranging from A to B size so not very attractive. I've been generally sporty so not noticed it but once when I was on a date the guy mentioned he preferred girls with bigger breasts I didn't say anything but it made me feel bad. I was already insecure about my body. :frown: Then on another date a guy who I briefly dated put pressure to have sex but we had just started dating and i wanted to be in a marriage like relationship before sex so he moved on. We were incompatible sexually so I don't blame him but I wasn't ready ..since then I haven't dated or had bfs I've had lots of male friends but I've been too insecure/scared to bring things forward with anyone.
I've been made fun of for being so old and a virgin and I've had also had friends of friends call me late at night trying to sex chat with me to bring out my innocence or something.
I've tried to think positive of it tried to think of these features as filtering out undesirable guys and that one day I'll meet a guy who will see into my heart and soul and realise we have a soulmate connection. that he will find these so called "societal" flaws beautiful and in the same way I'll find his ''societal flaws" beautiful and that we will both complete and complement each other as well as be each other's comfort. We all have so called societal flaws .... features that are relative but are seen as not desirable in society's eyes for some reason. Being taller/shorter or smaller/bigger when it comes to breast size is all relative. Taller than what? shorter than what? What is the average? who defines average and who defines what is the cutoff?
Reply 71
Original post by ct2k7
From experience, short men don't have "short man syndrome" as much as taller men don't have "tall man syndrome". People attribute his aggressiveness due to his height because that's the easiest thing to see. Whilst a short man can be seen as having his aggressive complex, a taller man can be applauded for behaving in the exact same way. I can't really fault shorter men who feel like they have to prove something either - they're told and feel like they are deficient and that they have to make up for it. Some of them are told that they aren't real men, hence they feel the need to do it. It's logical on their side.

5'6" isn't that short... you're closer to the average than a lot of people.

I don't go to clubs - it's not my scene and I know of the superficiality and shallowness that happens there. I am told that I have great facial aesthetics - I always get girls flirting with me, however, more often than not, a lot of girls I had asked out, before my gf, turned me down because of my height. That said, I do know now that someone of them are damn right jealous and wished they hadn't turned me down after seeing how I progressed in the past year.

I am comfortable with people of all height, for me, there is no upper limits. I have a friend who's 6'8" and when we walk around, we get a lot of stares lol. It's just that a lot of people just hate and don't view shorter men as people.

I know that this isn't the greatest place to look at trends, but you can't really ignore it, because the data is in realtime and allows freedom of expression.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%22short%20guys%22

There just appears to be a lot of hate there at least, but I do notice it in life.

More bull****, how are tall men applauded for being aggressive, thats one of the most laughable things I've heard. Supposedly its scientifically proven that short man syndrome exists as its basically an inferiority complex. I have been both short and tall and acted the same I did now before I grew, unaggressive and I have never told any man they're inferior cos their short, its in their heads.
Reply 72
Op i had posted a complimentary comment about why I prefer shorter guys to me and u didn't even see or quote it :frown: could it be that in real life you overlook the positive comments and focus on the negative discriminatory ones?

What if a girl who is slightly taller then u but likes you... What if she hesitates to approach u due to fear of what your reaction will be.

I think shorter guys are way hotter. No decent girl will knock back a shorter guy if he is compatible to her and it's true love.
Think about all the innovative positions one could try. :wink: :tongue:

I like this girl :P
OP missing a complimentary comment....
Some short guys have a really bad persona. The general vibe they give off can be quite depressing.

I know a fair few shorter men who are very desirable, and what they all have in common is that they do not have that short guy negative persona.
Reply 74
Original post by Classical Liberal
Some short guys have a really bad persona. The general vibe they give off can be quite depressing.

I know a fair few shorter men who are very desirable, and what they all have in common is that they do not have that short guy negative persona.

Could you explain that a little more

Thanks
Original post by 1992dean
Could you explain that a little more

Thanks

I am not entirely sure what it is, there are loads of factors obviously.

One that strikes me is that short guys with a cool persona tend to smile a lot. They do not look ****ing miserable and moody. That look can work on a taller guy but on a shorter man for some reason, looking moody, grumpy etc is really bad.

Also in my experience (being somebody who likes combat training) men who are shorter who also know how to fight tend to be much more self assured. They are able to command respect without getting angsty. I don't know precisely what it is, but it definitely shines through. This phenomena is particularly apparent in sports teams and the like. Sometimes short men find is impossible to get any genuine respect whilst other times they can be in complete control.

For example in the cricket team I now play in I get plenty of respect. However I actually went and played against the team I used to play for a few weeks ago. I made an umpiring decision that the captain of the other team did not approve and he called me a ****. It was very weird because nobody would say that to me any more. But the guy who called me a **** knew me as my old less confident self so in his mind I was still that kid he could push around.

Infact, that was a really cool experience because it made me realise how much I have changed.
Reply 76
Thanks for that, i get you in a way. Its hard for anyone to see how they come across
Reply 77
wish i was 6'2... but hey badabing badabom there is nothing i could do:hmpf:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 78
That's alright you can pos rep me tomorrow :tongue: I'm jk.
I have a cousin who is 5'2 and he has got a job. He's had a gf since end of uni.
I do agree that lots of people, males and females, are superficial and follow what the media dictates to them. They're just superficial for different things . Girls can be superficial for height maybe job status boys for breast size and other features like someone who is slim with a nice figure etc as well as maybe someone who is domestic.
I don't think these people are worth it though. If they are making you feel bad about yourself rather than giving positive energy. Too much negative energy will drain you and make you feel negative. if these are friends who are superficial then you think if the friendship is worth it or chat to them
How they would like it if someone picked on their features. Show them you are proud of your height and many great men were that height including celebrities. I'm
Guessing Florida especially Miami has a lot if celebrity culture. If they're Asian let them know people like gandhi were this height or big stars like sharuk khan 5'8 salmon khan 5'7 voted 10th most handsome guy by hello magazine, amir khan 5'6 and shahid kapur 5'7.5 all big heart throbs are around a similar height.
If strangers are giving you looks or comments ignore or revel in it so they feel like they're doing something wrong. There was an interesting and positive movie on a guy who was shorter than this girl he was dating and how they dealt with societal issues.

What I have noticed is that guys seem to be much more flexible, yet girls are somewhat rigid. You'll also find that those wanting bigger breasts and actually caring about that in the minority. Whilst I agree that trying not to take notice is what smaller people should do - it's certainly not easy.

Florida does have somewhat of a celebrity culture - but I'm abut 2 hours out of Miami in a city of a more mature population. I rarely visit the metropolitan Miami. I would like to see that movie though!

I face a lot of similar issues so I can relate to the filter comment. I have small breasts ranging from A to B size so not very attractive. I've been generally sporty so not noticed it but once when I was on a date the guy mentioned he preferred girls with bigger breasts I didn't say anything but it made me feel bad. I was already insecure about my body. :frown: Then on another date a guy who I briefly dated put pressure to have sex but we had just started dating and i wanted to be in a marriage like relationship before sex so he moved on. We were incompatible sexually so I don't blame him but I wasn't ready ..since then I haven't dated or had bfs I've had lots of male friends but I've been too insecure/scared to bring things forward with anyone.

I always measure attractiveness from the inside out - everything else just falls into place. I'm at my first relationship at 18 (19 now).
I do know that most guys are not rigid on breast size, in fact, very flexible - if you can offer them something, they're going to grab it.

I've been made fun of for being so old and a virgin and I've had also had friends of friends call me late at night trying to sex chat with me to bring out my innocence or something.
I've tried to think positive of it tried to think of these features as filtering out undesirable guys and that one day I'll meet a guy who will see into my heart and soul and realise we have a soulmate connection. that he will find these so called "societal" flaws beautiful and in the same way I'll find his ''societal flaws" beautiful and that we will both complete and complement each other as well as be each other's comfort. We all have so called societal flaws .... features that are relative but are seen as not desirable in society's eyes for some reason. Being taller/shorter or smaller/bigger when it comes to breast size is all relative. Taller than what? shorter than what? What is the average? who defines average and who defines what is the cutoff?

Are they really friends though? It is difficult to find someone who will accept you if you have a societal flaw - but those who do, are keepers.
Reply 79
Original post by hiding12
More bull****, how are tall men applauded for being aggressive, thats one of the most laughable things I've heard. Supposedly its scientifically proven that short man syndrome exists as its basically an inferiority complex. I have been both short and tall and acted the same I did now before I grew, unaggressive and I have never told any man they're inferior cos their short, its in their heads.

I assume you haven't seen things from my perspective - because it certainly seems that way. I was accused of having a complex simply because I was progressing further than my peers in something - crappy example, but still demonstrates the double standard.

Actually, this complex hasn't been proven in humans. Some small research that was done concluded that larger humans were more aggressive.

You might not need to tell them, some do tell us short people that we're inferior, and some subliminally suggest so in the way they act and react. There is certainly a double standard though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending